The elephant in the room [Christie's keynote speech]

Ahhh… so that explains why I didn’t hear the dog whistle.

Not quite so much this time, though; with the Ronulans trying to start their own counter-echo.

Ronulans always fail. They get suckered by Paul taking them for a ride and raking in the dough while doing practically nothing to actually get elected. I suppose now that Ron is going to step down (almost certainly; he’ll be 81 by the next Presidential election cycle, assuming he lives that long) the only question is whether Rand Paul is going to step up and take his father’s place at the money trough.

Anne Romney: “Tonight, I want to talk about love.”

Chris Christie: “We’ve become paralyzed by our desire to be loved.”

Hmmm…In the reaction shots during Christie’s speech, Mitt looked like he was smelling something bad, as if he noticed that the speech was more about Christie than ol’ What’s-his-name.

Like Christie’s speech: “I…I…me…me…New Jersey…New Jersey…me…me…I…I…”

When it was over, I expected to hear, “This message brought to you by the Christie 2016 committee.”

“Today (today today) I consider myself (myself myself) the luckiest likely candidate (candidate candidate) for the 2016 race…”

:smiley:

Chris Christie, the Irony Man. For all his talk of respect, he showed precious little to Romney. I got the impression that he’s written off a Romney win so he might as well start looking four years ahead.

There’s a lot of people at the convention that felt that way. It seemed like half the speakers were really just trying to position themselves for 2012.

“I’m Chris Christie and I approve of this message.”

Tom Tomorrow has it nailed. See 2nd panel, 2nd row… “Me me me me me me me me me me me Oh and vote for what’s his name.”

Martin Luther was pretty hefty . . .

It depends on what one assumes the purpose of the speech to be:

Romney 2012 Speech: Disappointing and egotistical

Christie 2016 Speech: Barnburner

He will always be Christie The Hutt to me.

Apparently they take the Lee Atwater approach of deathbed confession, thus allowing them to benefit from mendacity in life while avoiding the unfortunate consequences in the afterlife.

You have to give them credit for living up to their philosophy, “Everyone for himself!”

ETA: I assume you meant 2016.

This is the party of rugged individuality! Rational self-interest is by definition best for the community as long as labour remains divided. Especially if that rational self-interest ensures no Republican is elected.

Not to mention Augustine.

What? He was the Bishop of Hippo.