[QUOTE=Godfrey Daniels]
. . . as usual they’re not very hot. Some heat, yes, but not what I would call potent.
Anyone know what determines the hotness of home-grown peppers? Is it strictly genetics, or do growing methods play into it?
[/QUOTE]
I’ve heard more than once lately that heat has been bred out of jalapeno pepper, in response to Americans’ timid taste buds. Next year, try planting Thai dragons, serranos or habaneros, and I guarantee you will find all the heat you need. You may also decide you enjoy the basic flavor of a habanero more, as I did.
[QUOTE=teela brown]
Right after I post about habaneros, the ads all direct us toward hemorrhoid treatments. Ow!
[/QUOTE]
:smack:
I do like serranos and habaneros, but I’ve always loved the ‘basic flavor’ of jalapenos. If what youve heard is true, it’s a sad day for horticulture.
I will however, try growing some habaneros and serranos as you suggest.
A friend gave me some home grown Thai chilies that had no heat either.
No heat as in, I could eat them out of hand and not even get a twinge of hotness.