The Enquirer predicted these for the 1990s

I came across an Enquirer magazine from January 2, 1990. It is the predictions for 1990 issue (and it had predictions for the decade). For kicks I read it and here are some things it said:

-cure for the common cold will be found in squid ink

-Jackie Onassis will marry Jon Bon Jovi

-Oprah and Arsenio Hall will have a romance and team up onscreen as a singing/comedy duo and remake crosby/Hope “Road to…” movies

-Lisa Marie Presley will form a country/western band and be highly successful

-a pet food giant will discover a by-product of it’s dog biscuit making process will cure baldness

-researchers will discover an anti-aging drug that will stretch lifespans to 150 years

-Madonna will have quints and refuse to name the father

-Castro will be jailed when government is overthrown and die in jail

-the first true clone of a human will be born in 1997-an exact duplicate of a wealthy Asian tycoon

-Mike Tyson will be heavyweight champ for 12 years, being beaten by a Cleveland boy in 1998

-Fred Savage will become “Tonight Show” host in 1997

-Patrick Duffy will invent a device that battles stress by sending inaudible calmong signals to the brain.
LOL I LOVE that magazine! :smiley:

Amazing, but whay did they get wrong?

So that’s where rogaine comes from.

Gaines burgers. Rover. Damn!

(slight hijack)

I once did a news article based on this idea. Some of our local papers asked some pyschics, astrologers, etc. to do some predictions for the coming year. So, I clipped them all, put them aside for a year, and then called the psychics up.

The best guesser only got 25-30 per cent right…and predicted things like “Madonna will have problems with her reproductive system…” when she actually had a baby! There were wrong predictions about who the next premier would be, the results of the provincial election, etc.

The story wound up to be hilarious…one of my favorites.

(hijack ends)

The science editor of the Providence Journal (Gene Emery) does this on a year by year basis and reports every year. I think he gets bylined in the Skeptical Enquirer as well.