The Euro: An unspoken reason for the war in Iraq?

A stronger Euro is what the U.S. wants to avoid

For those of you who don’t wish to spend the time reading the whole lengthy article, please allow me to post the thrust of his argument:

"Although completely suppressed in the U.S. media, the answer to the Iraq enigma is simple yet shocking. The upcoming war in Iraq war is mostly about how the ruling class at Langley and the Bush/Cheney administration view hydrocarbons at the geo-strategic level, and the unspoken but overarching macroeconomic threats to the U.S. dollar from the euro. The Real Reason for this upcoming war is this administration’s goal of preventing further OPEC momentum towards the euro as an oil transaction currency standard. However, in order to pre-empt OPEC, they need to gain geo-strategic control of Iraq along with its 2nd largest proven oil reserves. "

I’d like the debate to center around if you agree or disagree with such a contention. Also, please include reasons as to why you think Mr. Clark is wrong or right with his suggestion.

Personally, I tend to agree with his point, but perhaps not to the extent that it’s the only reason for the U.S. to go to war in Iraq. However, I think some credence has been added to Clark’s suggestion with France’s recent stance on the issue.
But one thing that goes against it being a valid suggestion are the several European countries that are currently using the Euro as currency. Aren’t Spain and Italy using the Euro? Wouldn’t they be shooting themselves in the foot by supporting the U.S. if this was truly the reason for war?

On a par with a conspiracy theory. It’s a far left anti-globalization anti-US site, complete with ads for books by John Pilger.

Oil producers are free to accept any currency they want for their oil, and are free to price it in any currency. Makes sense for them to price it in the currency of the biggest consumer. The Europeans’ dream of the Euro “rivaling” the USD is a symbolic thing. The mercantilist-minded among them - the French, say - have traditionally preferred boosting their exports through having a weak currency to having a strong one.

If the USD declines, demand for oil will rise in non-USD markets (because it will be cheaper in their terms), so producers will push the (USD) price up. And vice-versa. I can’t see how pricing oil in euros, yen, etc would make a difference.

Similar thread: The real reason US wants to invade Iraq