the evil applicant # 2 --> dodgy asking for your opinion (again)

Dear Ms. XXX,

This submission is in response to your advertisement for <insert position here>. My creative abilities and painting skills could be a valuable asset to your company.

Currently residing in Austria, I will be moving to England in July, and I am available for an interview any time.

Please find enclosed my CV and samples of recent artwork, all of which were created using Macromedia Flash v. 4.0. If you desire more examples of my work, I encourage you to visit my webpage at http://www.horus.com/~steff/graphics01.html.

Yours sincerely,

I changed ‘resident’ to ‘residing,’ but that’s just from a USA point of view. You might have been right in the first place; sorry about that, if that’s the case. I then took the first paragraph of what Zenster had posted and substituted it for what you had there, because I think it seems more fluid to me that way. You present the info you want without rambling. You tell them the purpose of your letter and what particular attributes of yours you feel would be relevant to this company.

Whatcha think?

dan

Hey Dodgy, I can’t get your webpage at http://www.horus.com/~steff/graphics01.html to come up either. After reading particlewill’s post, I thought I’d check it too. Just thought you’d want to know.

Tommy the Cat

As your version of the same link didn’t include the period afer html (which almost every other one of the links did), I was able to jump there just fine by clicking on it.

In every other reference I’ve had to delete the ending period which somehow gets included in the URL before it works.

-Doug

I always liked your company’s products and as I feel my creativity and painting skills would be an asset to your company, I decided to apply.

would that be better (or worse)?*

Sorry for the “thumbscrews in the mind”, but that poor dehydrated sentence must be put out of her misery. So, kind of worse. You owe no explanation as to why you decided to apply. Your application is there, they know you are applying. Some very good examples are showing up in this thread. It will come to you!:wink: I am having jittery flashbacks to my various job searches over the years. I would stress out to the point where I couldn’t even speak let alone string together coherent language on a resume. And the federal level job forms were a nightmare. I would have the help books all laid out, the copies of “…damn fine resumes” and other employment-opiates and just hate it. I found I did much better after once I hired a pro to do a resume for me. They did a crappy job but it jolted me out of form fear. If that was how a former human resources staffer does it, I can do better than that! Keep up the good work d–

Damnable periods.

Ok, so the other links will get you somewhere, but all they get me to is a page saying:

This instead of pictures of the lovely Dodgy. So, that’s what I mean by not getting her site to come up.

OK Dublos, I just figured out what you were saying. I think that I must be getting dense in my old age.

So, Dodgy, your link works fine.

I believe I’ll be under my desk if anyone needs me.

Did this make anyone else laugh or am I just a tard?

:wink:

If you remove the fullstop after it it works :wink:
http://www.horus.com/~steff/graphics01.html

And you are right about the error page :smiley:
Do you think if I write it like that in the letter they ll put the fullstop in the address? Should I put Horus IT GmbH . instead?
I guess I should…
dodgy

Dear Ms. Thornton:

When I heard of Santoro Graphics, I immediately decided to apply, as I feel my creativity and painting skills would be an asset to your company.
I am enclosing my CV and a sample of my work. If you desire more examples of my work, I encourage you to visit my webpage under http://www.horus.com/~steff/comics.html. All of these, including the enclosed sample, were created using Macromedia Flash v. 4.0.

I will be moving in July [fill in details here]. I look forward to meeting you and any other members of your company and showing you in person what I can do for you.

Yours sincerely,
Stefanie P.

CV
samples of my work

I was so intent on clicking the link, I never noticed the period at the end. Viola! BornDodgy homepage extrordinare!

Carry on…

:slight_smile:

I sent the “admission of artwork” folders today.

I changed the first sentences - at the end I just threw the old first sentence away and referred to a phone call.

Thanx for your help :slight_smile:

dodgy
being really grateful :smiley:

Good luck, BornDodgy!!!

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

[keeping all body parts crossed]

Good luck BD!

What a pain huh? Please don’t pin all your hopes on one application. While the experience is still fresh why not throw out a few more for the muses?

(doing the ‘Dodgy’s gonna get it’ hip shake&roll)

:slight_smile:

chances are not too good - but at least I try, right? :wink:
They ll give me feedback on my work if I am lucky so I at least get something back for my stamp costs :smiley:

I made a list with stuff I am good in today… when I try to add the stuff I take for granted too, (like speaking my native language fluently and stuff like that :wink: ) it gets pretty long.

So far on it…

1. illustrations (for childrens books? brochures?)
  2. webdesign (not so good… what kind of company would take somebody who can only do HTML and can make a computer crash with only one line of perl?)
  3. tourguide (why not? English and German is fluent… only French tourists would have a hard time with me…)
  4. Work for one of those hidious language-courses and torture foreign kids with German grammar…
  5. professional millionaire
  6. phone-sex hotline not the kind of job my rents would like me to have… but it is an option, right?

dodgy…
fancy job opportunity #5

Hi Dodgy!

I have two copies of “What color is your parachute?” on my shelf. It is updated every year and the editions I have are from’92 (when I was ‘between jobs’ for three months) and one from '96 when Mrs. M had been downsized. Below is a link to the workbook section of that book. There might be something useful.
http://www.jobhuntersbible.com/
Good luck. -R