the evil applicant # 2 --> dodgy asking for your opinion (again)

Finally I am ready to send the folder with my artwork to Santoro Graphics. I ll add my CV and a letter of application… anybody have comments on the letter?

My address on the right, their address on the left (Santoro Graphics, attention of bla bla…) - date and…

Submission of artwork

Dear Ms. Thornton,

When I heard of Santoro Graphics I immediately decided to apply, as I feel my creativity and painting skills would be an asset to your company.
I am enclosing my CV and a sample of my work, all of which were created using Macromedia Flash v. 4.0. If you desire more examples of my work, I encourage you to visit my webpage under http://www.horus.com/~steff/comics.html.
Yours sincerely,
Stefanie P.

CV
samples of my work*

I am sending this to an English company from Austria. Do you think I should add that I will be moving in July or should I leave them in the dark? Too much info could bore them, but too little might make my folder end up in the wastebasked quickly as well… :frowning:

I am still trying to phone the alternative art director of the other company but I reached somebody from Santoro per email. So at least I know who I am sending this to.

I also wanted to say thank you to everybody who has helped me so far. :slight_smile: You rock! :wink:

dodgy

Well, first I’d make the greeting/salutation end with a colon, not a comma. This is a formal business letter, so you want to appear as professional as possible.

One thing I definitely like about your letter is that it’s brief. No rambling about how wonderfully perfect you would be for the job, or how wonderfully perfect the job would be for you, etc. Potential employers don’t like to wade through all that.

As far as telling them you’re moving in July… well, that’s a sticky situation, isn’t it? If you tell them, they might not be interested in you. If you don’t, they might be upset that you’re leaving after a short time. Assuming you hear from them in a couple weeks or so, you’d still be there five months.

I would say not to tell them, because you don’t want them to prejudge you. Then make sure you give them a lot of notice. If you need to move on 7/1, then tell them 6/1 or even earlier. It’s better to tell them earlier (but not too early), because then they have more time to get someone. Sure, you’re saying, I’m leaving why do I care when they get someone. Well, you never know if you might be back. Best to treat others well. :slight_smile:

Good luck!

I am moving nearer to them - not away. I am just wondering if they d through a folder from abroad away if I dont explain that I ll move to the country/ near the town the company is situated in soon…

Thanx for the colon :slight_smile:

Sorry for the confusing foreigner- English…

I meant that I am in Austria now, but applying to a company in England.
I am from Austria but plan on moving to England in July.

Oh, sorry about that. I think you mentioned that before in your earlier thread, and I simply forgot. My mistake.

If you are moving closer to them, then I can’t see why telling them would be a bad thing. You’re right, if they see that you’re from Austria, they might be less inclined to consider you. If you feel comfortable telling them why you are moving to England (I assume it’s not just because this job’s in England), then you could say, “I will be moving to England in July due to…” Then they’ll likely ask you if you would be able to start before July, and at that point you can get into more detail (if you want) about your move. Heck, maybe they’ll wait for you in July, you never know. But I think they’d give you brownie points for moving to England. :slight_smile:

disclaimer: I am older and not fond of seeking jobs.

But how did you hear about the graphics company? “I immediately wanted to apply” IMO sounds young-ish, as if you are still discovering the world (which we all are, but…).

How about “am relocating in July and would be a perfect fit?” or some such?

Do you have a name or are you sending to this company blind? Is there any way to hook up with someone beyond the front desk prior to sending yur folder?

Any way to actually talk to someone over the phone, set up a visit, and deliver your folder?

http://www.vcu.edu/safweb/careers/strategy/STRATEGY.html

Here is a link that has a lot of hints, many goofy. It’s a crapshoot. You are very talented and could really help out one of these graphics companies. I’ll shut up now, and wish you the best of luck. -R

I think you might want to consider setting up a separate webpage for the work you are submitting. Providing the link you have, allows Ms. Thornton to poke through the rest of your website. You may have material there you’d rather a prospective employer didn’t know.

ATTENTION OF…
At one of the two companies I am sending it to attention of the alternative art director. But I didnt phone him yet. I tried - but he is never in his damn office…
Santoro is a bit confusing, but I had email contact with somebody there and I am sending it to her.

**Any way to actually talk to someone over the phone, set up a visit, and deliver your folder? **

With a two hour flight I d rather not come over unless they are really interested - but I called santoro already. I could almost hear them rolling their eyes, cause I called after I had already received the “rules of sending in art work” per email. I got some “Susan” on the phone who apparently didnt have a surname… if the company is as small as it sounds they might at least take a look at my folder :wink:
And the other company’s art director will one day be in his office… one fine day…
thank you for the link :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I already thought about that… I might just make a copy of the page just without a home link - cause otherwise I d have to put the page on geo. And the pop up ads wouldnt look too good I guess…
Let s just hope she isnt a computer freak who does what I always do: go to the sub directory and see what stuff is on there…

**When I heard of Whatever Graphics I immediately decided to apply, as I feel my creativity and painting skills would be an asset to your company.

Currently resident in Austria, I will be moving to England in July, and I am available for interview at any time.

I am enclosing my CV and a sample of my work, all of which were created using Macromedia Flash v. 4.0. If you desire more examples of my work, I encourage you to visit my webpage under http://www.horus.com/~steff/graphics01.html.
Yours sincerely… **

What about mentioning how you found out they were hiring? In some cases, employers have placed ads in many venues: multiple Web sites, newspapers, and so forth. But since this is presumably a small company, there might only be one ad out there anyway. (I guess you could look up the company online, right? Get an idea of their size?)

[editor hat on]

BTW, I think it’s better as “available for an interview” than simply “available for interview” - but that could just be an Americanism (or just being picky).
[editor hat off]

Don’t change the comma to a colon. In British English, the salutation is always followed by a comma. And I would say “my web page at” rather than under. Otherwise, it looks great.

Very succinct. Multiple drafts have a way of beating out excess verbiage.

“When I heard about [xyz] I immediately…” strikes me oddly. Makes me wonder what you were doing during art school. As if you suddenly decided to look up all the graphic houses at once, and just heard about them.

I am of the opinion that an applicant needs to research a company prior to applying; and you might let on that you’ve known about them for some time but you weren’t ready for a full time commitment until graduation.

I can afford to be picky being currently employed: it looks great as is . Best wishes! -R

My advice:

Dear Whoever,

I learned about Whatever Graphics (insert here through what means you learned). I feel that my creativity and painting skills would be an asset for your company, and I would like you to consider me for a (put type of position here) position.

Currently I reside in Austria, but I will be moving to England in July. I am available for an interview any time.

I am enclosing my CV and a sample of my work, all of which were created using Macromedia Flash v. 4.0. To see more examples of my work, I encourage you to visit my Web page at http://www.horus.com/~steff/graphics01.html.

I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you for you consideration.

Sincerely,

So what was I doing during art school? :wink:
The last time I had arts I was 14 years old… unfortunatelly
I am not professional, I have never really worked yet - still in school … and in a dodgy school too - no A-Levels. They end with some strange graduation that enables me to do a lot of jobs… the kind of jobs I would rather not have. Accountant… (I am sooo shitty with numbers…)
Anyways. Dont know what drove me to attend this school. It was not much of a choice when I failed the year at the other school :rolleyes:

The true story of how I heared of the companies:

I am addicted to greeting cards. When I was in England this summer I bought some of their cards cause they just looked so funny and actually the cards made me think “damn. I am just as good. I should be doing this for a living… or at least try” I really like painting and got tons of new ideas… but I dont wanna bore them with too much info.

Any ideas how I could convert the trueth to something nice?

Santoro s website had the email address on it. I emailed them that I wondered where to send a sample of my work.
They sent me back the guidlines. I phoned them. They sent me to send the folder.
Carlton s website: Fast Facts: FAQ

Q.
How do I submit my creative work for Carlton’s
consideration?
A.
If your work is traditional contact Kaely Doyle
(Traditional Creative Director), if it’s humorous then
your contact is Ged Backland (Alternative Creative
Director).
Still trying to phone him.

BD,

Way too many “I”'s. Reduce the amount of self reference. I realise that this is a letter about what you are bringing to the table, but try to tone it down. As in:

This submission is in response to your advertisement for <insert position here>. My creative abilities and painting skills could be a valuable asset to your company. Please find enclosed my CV and samples of recent artwork. Online versions may can be found at this site. Yadda yadda yaddita…

Yours truly,

Miss Wonderful Person Herself

A more direct and business-like approach will give you a distinctly professional tone instead of sounding like a personal letter.

Chris
PS: Best wishes on your efforts. Feel free to email me your revised edition and I will be glad to help you edit it.

“convert the truth into something nice…”

The truth is nice in this case (barring the “I could do better than THAT” aside). What the resume and cover letter, CV and art package do is selective presentation. We always need to convert the truth somewhat…

It is your job as a young careerist to always present your best. In a business setting it is usually expected that the resume is not a tell-all. If you do tell something’dodgy’ they will wonder what on earth you are NOT telling. More information will filter in on this thread: you are tapping into a lot of talent here.

I want to encourage you by telling you I absolutely love the presentation of your antique photos on your web site. That really hits the spot. Old photos are the height of cool to me. There is something loving about that presentation that I’m sure will filter through to your art packet. You will turn a few heads.

Again best wishes. -R

**Dear Ms. XXX,
When I heard of XYX I immediately decided to apply, as I feel my creativity and painting skills would be an asset to your company.

Currently resident in Austria, I will be moving to England in July, and I am available for an interview any time.

Please find enclosed my CV and samples of recent artwork., all of which were created using Macromedia Flash v. 4.0. If you desire more examples of my work, I encourage you to visit my webpage at Horus IT GmbH.

Yours sincerely,**

I am still biting my lips (oh bad habits!) thinking about the first paragraph…

I always liked your company’s products and as I feel my creativity and painting skills would be an asset to your company, I decided to apply.*

would that be better (or worse)?
I already got the larararage envelopes now :smiley:

dodgy

Just wondering. Is http://www.horus.com/~steff/graphics01.html. the actual link, or something you made up for the sake of this discussion? It sure doesn’t work when I try it.

I get what I believe is the http://www.horus.com error page, saying in german that the link is no good. ( At least I think that is what it says. My german sucks)