The execution of Jesus-what could have been.

Hmmmm. What if they condemned him to die fighting in an arena? Or just be eaten by lions? If the former, would they wear miniature swords around their neck? If the latter, would the sign they make be opening the mouth as wide as possible and then snapping the jaws shut?

Yes, but if it’s ONLY jokes it stops being interesting for non-jokers to participate.
No thread should be immune from jokification, but it reduces its information value.

There was a scenario in an old humoristic angels & demons themed RPG where a bunch of Christian skinheads went through a time machine to save Jesus from The Jews and have a good time with him. If the players don’t find them in time the skinheads eventually do find Jesus (and lynch Judas, which doesn’t change history since in the “real” timeline he hung himself anyway), but they quickly grow annoyed with his peace & love persona and his piss & moaning that he was supposed to get crucified. So they get good and drunk, then drown him.
Flash forward to the present and every cathedral sports a big aquarium, and Christians have little vials of water hanging from their necks :slight_smile:

That said, when you think about it it is weird that the cross would become such a prominent Christian symbol. As Bill Hicks would quip, when Jesus comes back do you think he’d **want **to see a fucking cross ? :slight_smile:

Indeed, and then again some cross over from the gory into the hilarious. I forget which one it is, but at least one saint was beheaded and supposedly his head remained conscious for some time. So he’s typically represented as carrying his own head. Which presented an amusing dilemma for artists : where does the saintly halo go : where the head used to be, or where it is now ? :smiley:

I like the part where you invented an opinion, you stated it, and then you called the OP a dick for the existence of the opinion.

Since no one else responded, I hope this was a clever comment on “Last Temptation Of Christ”.

That’s St Denis, the patron of our local church. We have a number of mosaics depicting his life; I will have to check if a halo is included in the one where he is carrying his head!

Before tomndebb got his panties in a wad it was an interesting alt timeline thread. But that works for me too,

Checked today – St Denis is holding his head and a circular-as-you-look-straight-at-it halo is sitting on his shoulders where his head would have been.

That would be funny too :cool:

Good thing they didn’t botch it, or he’d be Nearly Headless Nick :smack: :smiley:

He also thought that instead of crucifixes around their necks, Christians would wear Soap On A Rope.

IIRC Kate Elliot’s Crown of Stars series took place in a lazy alt not-quite-Europe that feature a Messiah who was executed on a wheel. The church symbol was a circle.