The Factual Argument Against Global Warming, Cap and Trade, and the Copenhagen Treaty

Meh, one can stop just here, You are really getting nowhere by posting that as evidence. You are just swallowing a conspiracy and even **jshore **destroyed Douglas.

Nope, too silly.

One should not waste much time with this guy. In any case there are already good replies made by greenfry and others in his site, incidentally **Poptech ** here was noticed there too, the best comment:

There is nothing to swallow unless of course you don’t believe the emails. No one has destroyed Douglas because no one has dared publish a criticism that allows him to respond.

Every point he made has been refuted. I see that you failed to provide one point and instead result to an off handed comment that is meaningless.

Absolutely nothing about the list has been refuted.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showpost.php?p=12176750&postcount=51

So that was refuted by a guy that has been involved in the science and also reviewed papers.

As I said, no need to spend too much time with you when just the first bits of what you posted are clearly based on bad information.

BTW I did not mention your “great” evidence that debunks the Hockey stick, that is indeed evidence that has been shown to be misleading or obsolete.

An ad hominem attack must attack character over argument. To call skeptics of anthropogenic climate change ‘deniers’ doesn’t qualify as ad hominem just because you say so. I’m perfectly happy to admit that it’s a rhetorically loaded term, but you’ve provided no compelling basis for diagnosing its adoption as being due to its usefulness as a smear which rests wholly on the holocaust denial parallel. That’s an argument from revealed preferences, and it’s empirically unconvincing despite your few links.

Indeed, the blog in question has a specific page where the writer offers his opinion on the difference between ‘skeptics’, which he defines as those critics of the science who are nonetheless engaged in good faith science, even if they might be wrong, and those who are ‘deniers’. Obviously that distinction strongly suggests that at least this writer has adopted the ‘denier’ label with some specific threshold criteria in mind. Now, it may be that he applies the label too loosely, or inconsistently. But that’s a different criticism to just red flagging the usage.

This is kind of a glancing blow. E&E is obviously an academic journal, but it’s equally true that not all journals were created equal. Anyone who has done any kind of academic work knows that some journals are more credible than others. Some, like Nature or Nature Genetics, are established organs of science and it is very prestigious and coveted to get published in them. Whereas other journals are far less central to the forefront of scientific endeavour.

Suffice to say I’ve read a lot of climate scientists disparaging E&E as an pro-industry journal, and whatever the truth of those perceptions, it certainly isn’t regarded by anyone with the same status as Nature. Arguably its absence from the ISI Masters List reflects that.

A forum post? Where is the published criticism? Can you link to the published criticism of the paper making that argument? Appeals to authority on a forum do not work and do not debunk anything.

You have not demonstrated this.

No it hasn’t.

It works both ways, in any case his points are sound. And clearly you are just stalling and denying that there are good reasons why Douglas was not allowed to publish.

His error committed when comparing the warming that had occurred with the standard error of the prediction made is enough to conclude that there were good reasons why the paper was rejected.

McIntire has not been able to refute the latest reconstructions. Those that you mention deal only with the ones from 2001 (and 2004?). As for the 2008 one, McIntyre had to resort to lies and innuendo.

It is directly attacking character because no attempt to discern the argument is made. The term as used is an ad hominem. You are being intellectually dishonest to pretend it is not used as a smear.

He applies the definition in exactly the form I implied - a smear.

The argument is not about the popularity of the journal, the argument was whether it is peer-reviewed of not, E&E is clearly peer-reviewed. “Credibility” is subjective. Regardless E&E is not a pure science journal as it discusses the politics of the AGW debate as well which is why it is clearly stated as an interdisciplinary academic journal, so comparisons to Nature are absurd.

I’ve only seen the same handful of alarmist scientists who have made these comments. ISI (Institute for Scientific Information) is owned by the multi-billion dollar Thomson Reuters corporation and offers commercial database services similar to other companies services such EBSCO’s “Academic Search” and Elsevier’s “Scopus”.

There is no evidence his points are sound. If they are he should have them published. Your declaration of them does not make it so. I didn’t stall I provided the direct link to the evidence, now unless you are saying the emails are true which the scientists who wrote them do not do.

Yes he has, he published a criticism of the most recent one,

Proxy inconsistency and other problems in millennial paleoclimate reconstructions (PDF)
*(Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Volume 106, Number 6, February 2009)

• Stephen McIntyre, Ross McKitrick*

Nope, sourcewatch.org also has their number:

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Energy_and_Environment

Yes of course the always “credible” sourcewatch,

Sourcewatch

$$$ Funded by The Center for Media and Democracy

That is not the way it works sparky, you need to show why it is not sound, even if that was coming from a high school boy you need to tell us at least a hint of why his points are not valid.

I did not say that, but in any case, they are not evidence of a conspiracy.

That seems to be just a letter, not a published paper, are you sure that is what you wants us to assume it is a published paper?

In any case, I do not trust McIntyre at all.

So then I just need to check who is more accurate, no?

So what do we see Sonja Boehmer-Christiansen doing with E&E?

I give the more credible vote to Source watch.

So science does not now work via peer-review? Now you just take forum posts as criticism? I don’t have to refute every ridiculous comment made on a forum. What kind of insanity is that? If the criticism is legitimate about the paper it would be published. So since your boy allegedly knows all about publishing, have at it! And get back to me when you can produce a published criticism.

It is certainly evidence of corruption of the peer-review process.

As for “RealClimate”,

The Truth about RealClimate.org

Strawman, is it a published criticism?

Of course you don’t - you “trust” scientists who do not want to share their data, methods and sourcecode.

Translation: I don’t have a clue how to answer.

Just your unreliable say so.

And made by Popular Tech. No relation eh? :slight_smile: Using the same source of your volley to attempt to discredit a source managed by climate scientists is really silly.

I’m just saying, it is not a published paper, what remains is that McIntyre has no proper reply to the later reconstructions, only lies and innuendo.

And you got that from what denier source?

Allowing a discussion of a paper,

180 years of atmospheric CO2 gas analysis by chemical methods (PDF)
*(Energy & Environment, Volume 18, Number 2, pp. 259-282, March 2007)

The only problem I am sure for you is that Beck got to respond.

Translation: You don’t have any published criticism.

No it is detailed and supported here,

A Climatology Conspiracy? (American Thinker)

Who is RealClimate.org’s Registrant Organization?

He published his reply in the proper journal and can support everything he stated.

LMAO! That is not for the papers in question. FYI Gavin only put that up after Climategate broke and Dr. Jones got caught illegally refusing FOIA requests.

Meh, unconvincing still.

You being “convinced” of the conclusions of the paper is irrelevant to the paper being peer-reviewed and the journal allowing open discussion - both of which it does. You still have nothing.

No need to, enough people can see that you are not capable of even pointing out where **jshore **is wrong, it just shows that it is safe to ignore your points until better evidence appears that you can weight evidence properly.

That is no evidence, just opinion and emails devoid of context.

Meaningless, the fact remains that the contributors of RealClimate do manage to publish in the most prestigious journals.

No he can’t. He was incapable of even changing the official position of the scientific organization that published his papers.

Before digging your hole more, you need a cite for your accusation that all that came only after Climategate broke.

You also need a Cite for the declaration that Dr. Jones got caught illegally refusing FOIA requests.

The last one is peculiar because the investigation has not been completed and in any case data was released or it could be obtained elsewhere.

You must be confusing the defeat of a poster in a message board with a significant objective. :slight_smile:

Uh no, in reality your side is the one that has virtually nothing, it needs to convince enough people in scientific organizations to declare that AGW is not happening, last time I checked you can not find any scientific organization whose position is that we should not worry at all. Maybe you can?