The Fish House - Fried Shrimp

Hi Joe, I just read your message about looking for images of Rocky’s. I have an original watercolor painting of Rocky’s by the well known Chicago artist Ralph Rapien painted in 1970. Ralph has left us, however his talent lives on. This painting was part of (I believe) a prominent Illinois politicians collection. If you would like to see an image of the painting just let me know where I can send it. Regards, Mike

I stop by the Fish Keg at least once a month for the fried shrimp. It is pretty tasty.

Ha, I live a block from Lincoln and Berwyn, and I can’t say I love the smell of fish, so I’m happy it’s a church now.

Although if anyone is looking for some good fried shrimp in the North Center area, I highly recommend Snappy’s Shrimp on Irving Park a block west from Damen. I work around the corner from the place and I usually get lunch there once a week.

I’ve been there, but not for a number of years.

My family used to live around Fullerton and Western. Every Friday we’d get fried shrimp and smoked fish (for my father) from Joe’s Fisheries on Cortland. They were the last commercial Lake Michigan fishery working out of Chicago. They closed sometime between 1997 and 2002 due to new restrictions on lake fishing.

Hi Joe,

I have a portrait of Rocky with his famous fly swatter as well as the interior of the shop…send me your email if interested.

Aloha,

Robert

This thread has an otherworldly feel to it…and its supposed to be about shrimp!

:slight_smile:

This is an awesome thread. And proof that Dopers are the coolest people on earth.

About 12-15 years ago, I ate some shrimp alfredo I made at home, and almost instantly became The Guy Covered in Hives. My dad, and my older sister both developed shrimp allergies at about the same age, so since then I’ve just avoided it. I tell people I don’t miss it, but reading this makes me want to call the doctor and see what’s up - sis claims she can eat shrimp now. Worse comes to worse I get an Epi-Pen (I work with special ed student transportation and have already been trained - winning!) and just drive down to Lawrence, I really love that place!

I also remember Rocky’s and the Fish House. Does anyone recall a little shack along the River just north of I-55 on Ashland? Same idea as Lawrence’s but smaller. Dad and I would stop there on the way to Blackhawk or Bulls games, get a brown paper bag of fried shrimp, pour some hot sauce on and finish the drive to the Stadium.

Good times.

Oh man - I am SO going to Lawrence Fisheries this evening.

The name of the shrimp house on Ashland was Anderson’s. They definitely had the best shrimp and hot sauce. I always wondered who owned the place and how long it was around. I’m looking for a recipe for the type of breading Anderson’s used on their shrimp. Love to have the sauce recipe too. Any help would be appreciated. Can’t stop thinking about Anderson’s shrimp. Also-my Grandmother worked at the Fannie May factory for approx. 35 years. They had many framed photos hanging in the offices of the factory showing the employees, machines & equipment used in the candy making process. Since the place was sold and the old factory has been torn down, I’m wondering if the memorabilia (photos) were disposed of or if they might be stored away somewhere. There’s nothing I would like more than to get hold of an old photo of Grandma on the factory floor. Grandma’s name was Cecelia Fields. If anyone else had a family member who worked in the Fannie May factory there may be pics out there somewhere.

I am looking for a shrimp/Fish shack my father used to take me to in the 70’s. All i remember is the shrimp was fried and served, in sauce, in chinese takeout containers, it could be ordered either hot or mild. They also had the best smoked salmon i have ever tasted. I’m sure the place is gone, as is my father, but i have some amazing (though limited) memories of it. If anyone has a clue where i might be talking about or has any pictures please feel free to send them my way. I do remember being told “it was in a bad part of the neighborhood”, and several times mom and i had to wait in the car :slight_smile: We were not prejudiced at all so i am guessing it really may have been in a rough part of town. Also, it was a very small building, you could only get the food to go. Thanks and i hope someone else reading this has the same wonderful memories i have :slight_smile:

Sounds a bit like Calumet Fisheries to me, except for being served in sauce.

OK, folks, Chicago expat here. Cannot believe Rocky’s will be forgotten Do me a favor: send me photos, contacts, etc., of Joe “Rocky” Panzo – including drawings, interior pictures, everything. We who went there obviously want the rest of the world to know what a great place that was. I want to collect that stuff. I want to make sure no one forgets. I don’t have plans yet, but send me the pictures. If only to refresh great memories I have. Use this email: tessieledbetter@yahoo.com. Bless the Panzos forever.

I have suspicions and doubts about shrimp places some 750-odd miles from saltwater.

I get fresh, not frozen Carolina jumbo shrimp(15-20)/lb for $11.99/lb. from my local grocery. From May-November. In Akron Ohio, 650 miles away. Yummy, and quite reasonable.

It must be more than just shrimp and batter and seasonings.

I bet it has something to do with love, love in the hands that breaded them, love in the hands that fried them, love in the hands that served them.

Shrimp need a good red cocktail sauce too or for sissies tarter sauce and a nice cool cole slaw on the side.

Don’t forget the music on the juke box either, “Red Sails on the Sunset” or a good Cajun song “Me oh my on the Bayou” or “Shrimp boats are coming coming to town”

Yeah! Don’t forget the love without that it’s just shrimp.

I’m surprised no love for Hagen’s, west of Montrose and Central. I used to work there 30 years ago. Really good fried food, the only hardwood fired smokehouse left in the city(not wood over gas jets), and a variety of fresh fish as well.