The Following

It wasn’t nearly as bad as anticipated. You can’t really see that they’re dead dogs. They do get close to one dog who kind of yelps because he isn’t dead, but you cannot really see what’s been done to it other than some blood on the fur. It’s a very short scene, under 20 seconds, I’d say. I managed to get through it Ok.

Thanks for the info. As it turns out, the Druidess had heard enough about it at work that she didn’t want to watch the show.

Right.

[spoiler]I can buy him suborning a guard he sees every day. I can suspend my disbelief enough to give him one twitchy female, whom he can get to do something crazy to herself via the internet.

But he had at least three people in place for years, who were willing to kidnap innocent victims for him, and who were so good at their roles as next door neighbors or best friends that they didn’t even ping the sonar of people who had every reason to be paranoid. And if he has them, you know he has a lot more. It’s just impossible to believe he could maintain that kind of control over that many people with a few minutes of text messages every couple weeks.[/spoiler]

Liked it. Didn’t love it and will give it a few more times.

I think you have to suspend belief about his ability to influence others in a Charles Manson sort of way. That didn’t bother me near as much as KB going to that B&B by himself without a gun and making so much noise he’d wake the dead.

The other problem I had with the show is that it wasn’t always easy to tell what was a flashback and what was happening in real time.

The young FBI guy who sort of worships KB is a little creepy, but his offering him a breath mint was a nice touch!

I watched it last night. From all of the credulity-straining situations, and all of the horror and violence, I think I’ll pass. Normally violence doesn’t bother me, nor does some horror. I like Jason Statham movies and The Walking Dead, for instance. This was too real and too horrific for my tastes. So, not for me.

J.

What annoyed me is how nobody except Kevin Bacon and the bad guys has a basic knowledge of Edgar Allan Poe, so that Bacon can see the word NEVERMORE on the wall in blood (that was blood, right?) and give us a [del]college-level[/del] Cliffs Notes education in the works of the Master.

Lord, help my poor soul.

I guess there’s not much point in spoiler tags any more.

Actually, I would have been OK if he did it in a Charles Manson sort of way, i.e. brainwashing them through constant personal contact, and then sending them out to kill people who had never seen them before, so they didn’t even have to pretend to be normal.

But Purefoy evidently was able to get them to set up capital crimes while acting perfectly normal for years, with virtually no personal contact, and a few text messages. That’s not Manson, that’s a Thrint. Or an Arisian.

There was one thing that annoyed me at the beginning

As Carrol is driving away from the prison, you see searchlights looking around the grounds. One of them actually shines on him. “We have an escaped prisoner. Oh, look, one of our vehicles is driving away. Nah, it can’t be him.” Magic.

You just don’t understand the power, and danger, of social media! :wink:

Apparently, KB was the oldest person they could get in the FBI to look at this. Were all the experienced guys busy with other stuff?

Christ, the guy doing the serial killer briefing…I got shoes older than him! And I aint that old!!!

They weren’t surrounding the house. They were IN the house.

I don’t think a couple of *Navy Seals *could have killed two FBI agents (who were on alert waiting for a serial killer who may well come that very evening) and snuck out a live victim without making any noise that the other 6 FBI agents would have heard.

[quote=“TonySinclair, post:7, topic:647980”]

It’s been bugging me that Purefoy’s character reminded me of another show, and I couldn’t figure out which one. But it just hit me — it’s not one show, it’s two:

[spoiler]
Red John, from The Mentalist, a serial killer enjoys taunting the police, and who has a large “following” of disciples who will literally do anything for him.

As a bonus, Purefoy could be the twin brother of Gerard Butler, who in Law Abiding Citizen played a man who deliberately allowed himself to be incarcerated, and then orchestrated all kinds of mayhem from his jail cell.[/spoiler]

I made the connection to the first show you mentioned, and it occurred to me that, if it were possible, it would be kind of a neat tie-in to that show. Maybe one was the “Student” of the other, or maybe they could make some off-the-cuff mention of the other as at least a similar case. What would really geek me out (as a shameless fanboy) would be:

season finale of The Following, guest starring Simon Baker and Robin Tunney, with a totally unnecessary (but oh, so necessary) appearance by Amanda Righetti, because DAMN) who show up because the latest kill Carroll makes gets signed with Red John’s signature smiley face.

Didn’t those two guys live in the adjoining house? So presumably, they entered through the closet, killed the agents and took the woman.

So in the second installment they find the short-haired girl’s house all decked out for halloween. Kevin Beacon says, “We weren’t supposed to find…” the house. Say what? The address of the house came from the girl’s freakin’ driver’s license. Once they determined who she was (which wasn’t depicted as being very difficult) how could the FBI NOT find the house?

Also, weren’t we told in the pilot that the killer wasn’t allowed visitors and that his only contact with the outside world had to have been through his surreptitious use of the internet when he was supposed to have been using it for legal research only? Yet here he is having a face-to-face with one of his followers.

Are the “Glee” writers working on this show?

When they said they weren’t supposed to find the house, what I think they meant is that the followers didn’t realize a link would so easily have been discovered. Apparently, after Emma’s first visit to the jail, she never used her real name again.

As to the visitors, I could’ve sworn that they said in the pilot that he did have like a 127 visits over the course of his incarceration, but I could be remembering wrong. Can anyone confirm what was said in the first show?

By the way, I’m still loving this. I like that Purefoy was upended on his very first chess move (when Jordie [sp?] didn’t die) and that they dispensed with the woman who had the mole. She was driving me nuts. Also, what does everyone think of the ambiguity on whether or not the cult expert is part of his a acolytes? Interesting possible development.

… to cover the smell of (what I assume was) vodka :confused:

re putting together a Following from the limited amount of unsupervised communications while in jail: Maybe we’ll find that many of his Following date back to his days as a professor… or that there is a Super Follower who is influencing the Following.

Well, we know he first met Emma while he was at a book signing, so before he went to prison. I am guessing he started his Following with students who were attracted to his good looks and charisma.

Annie Parisse better not be in on it:mad:

Speculation:

The young FBI agent (Weston) is going to either be one of Carrol’s followers, or possibly a red herring. When he and Hardy first get to the house, Hardy goes around back while he stays in front. We only see him outside when Hardy first enters the house. I think it’s very possible that once Hardy entered through the back door, Weston used his key to go in the front, don the Poe mask, and wait to ambush Hardy.

At any rate, this is like Battlestar Galactica, and we’re going to play Who’s The Cylon all season. You know that one of the recurring characters in law enforcement is going to turn out to be a member of the Following, it’s just a matter of which one.