The food pyramid

But how many have obesity, etc? And are they all malnurished?

A very, very important thing to understand:

Humans are omnivores and can be healthy on many different types of diet

Arctic people have diets that are greater than 90% animal protein. There are groups of people in the Indian sub-continent who have lived generations without eating animal flesh at all. Inuit eat no or almost no grains. Indians eat lots of grains, along with legumes. Both groups can enjoy robust good health.

The only requirements for a healthy diet is that you get the necessary nutrients and that you input is roughly equal to your output so you don’t wind up under or overweight. Everything else is just details.

The chief advantage, if any of a heavily grain-based diet is that grains are in general cheaper and more filling than meat. That’s why a lot of poor people eat beans and rice.

Few. Probably. It’s a big part of that “die before 30” thing; few get killed by lions.

Ddsun: Yes I did mention my diet in the OP again but it is your choice whether you talk about food pyramids or bring up my diet yet again

Also, I completely endorse this. Just keep it to one thread. We’re “debating” the same things (whether or not you acknowledge it) in both. One thread would make that much easier.

Broomstick: Yes though those food pyramids seem to say you must have a lot of grains.

I loves my grain based products. I eat bread a couple of times a day, pasta a few times a week and couldn’t live without tortillas.

I don’t have a weight problem. Maybe that is because I also walk a few miles a day, I spend my days lifting boxes and I don’t like sweets but do think that water is a very refreshing drink.

JohnClay, I agree with the others who are suggesting that you keep all of your diet talk in one thread. Its confusing to have to remember which one is pitting a member who doesn’t agree with your diet and which one is pitting an outdated food pyramid.

Well, that was a little more than I needed to know.

While I don’t generally subscribe to conspiracy theories, there’s some pretty good evidence that grains have the large spot they do because the wheat and corn industries paid for a bigger piece of the pie. Um, pyramid.

Who Invented the Food Pyramid?

The Food Pyramid is shite. Also, obsolete. MyPlate is slightly better. Even better is The Healthy Eating Plate, which doesn’t pretend we need to consume bovine excretions.

And here I thought that Cladking had gone to even crazier pyramid theories. :stuck_out_tongue:

Or everything to one thread…on Giraffe’s board.

The food pyramid is not longer pushed by the USDA, it’s been replaced with “my plate”, which is simpler and less grain-focused. I guess it’s a return to the “four food groups”, except with 5 food groups.

You already won this one. Well, I guess “my plate” isn’t paleo, but it’s not the food pyramid, and there’s plenty of room on that plate for meat.

I kind of agree, but some of those details can be important: a diet high in hydrogenated fats, preservatives and salt is probably not good for you, even if you are getting all the nutrients you need and not consuming excess calories.

Or better yet, no threads.

(my bold)

Nonsense. Protein (meat) is what makes up the bulk (or at least a large percentage) of most diets, specifically, at least in part, because protein helps you feel fuller longer.

I pit “The Healthy Eating Plate” too.

A quarter of the plate says “Eat a variety of whole grains (like whole-wheat bread, whole-grain pasta, and brown rice)”.

My response: NO! No grains of any kind for me!

Also like Broomstick said: “Arctic people have diets that are greater than 90% animal protein”

I agree that potatoes don’t really count as vegetables though.

Since when are grains “yummy” (and why the hell do people insist on talking like they’re 3 years old?) They’re borderline empty calories (every time I hear an ad on the TV about something having “more of the whole grains your body needs” I want to throw my remote through it,) they’re bland as fuck unless slathered with other shit, and you can easily get the nutrients you might get from grains from actual, you know, vegetables.

processed foods are shit, and grains are the earliest processed foods.

So in both threads we’re debating if grains are necessary or if vegetable intake should be halved? :confused:

BTW my point in the OP is that the Food Pyramid says that people need to consume a lot of grains in order to be healthy. I thought that was COMPLETE BS so that is why I’m annoyed with it. My evidence included people who are on paleo diets (which some people responded to) [and now there are also some Arctic people]. I also brought up my diet since that shows that I not only disagree with it in theory, but also according to my actions.

No I think there are two distinct discussions and it makes more sense to separate them. (well mostly distinct)

BTW I found another “Healthy Eating Pyramid”: (2005)

It says to use sparingly things like white rice, bread, pasta and potatoes. It has a fairly large area for “healthy fats/oils”. It has vegetables and fruits in the same area (I don’t really eat fruits at the moment). I agree with it except for the whole grains area though in the new pyramid that is quite small.

Ok I’ll post about something else on these forums then…

Like I’ve said in some of those diet threads, I walk quite a lot - often fastly. I sometimes also use a whole body vibration machine with a 10 kg medicine ball. The diet recommends walking for 20 minutes in the morning on an empty stomach.

Preferably on another board.