the founder of Cyrkle died Oct 13

Tom Dawes, bassist and founder of the Cyrkle (band name originated and spelled by John Lennon) died October 13 in Manhattan from a stroke following carotid artery surgery, at 64. I just found out today. I searched this morning but found nothing on SDMB about his death, although there are a dozen or so Cyrkle references.

The group was three Lafayette College (Easton, PA) students who started as a frat band, the Rhondells, in the early '60’s. Two summers they performed at the Alibi Lounge in Atlantic City. In 1965 they were discovered there by Nat Weiss, prominent entertainment lawyer, who recommended them to Brian Epstein, who became their co-manager.

Inner tensions broke up the band before they got into a recording studio, leaving Dawes free to tour with Simon & Garfunkel. While on the road Paul Simon offered and Dawes accepted his recently written Red Rubber Ball.

When that tour ended Cyrkle got back together. Brian Epstein chose them to accompany the Beatles’ 1966 summer tour. Cyrkle headlined the three opening acts in 14 concerts, including the Beatles’ final appearance before a paying audience in Candlestick Park, San Francisco, August 30.

According to www. classicbands. com, Cyrkle was also offered Paul Simon’s 59th St. Bridge Song (Feelin’ Groovy) but turned it down.

After Cyrkle, Dawes and another band member, Don Danneman, each headed their own successful ad agencies in New York. Dawes originated the “Plop, Plop, Fizz, Fizz” Alka Seltzer jingle, as well as “Coke Is It!” Danneman wrote Swanson’s “It’s the Next Best Thing to Your Good Cookin’.”

Red Rubber Ball is the only reason I care about Cyrkle. It’s a satisfying sub-two minute song, one of the very few. It gets in there, tells its story, and leaves you uplifted, even though its subject is the aftermath of a breakup. (Another upbeat, satisfying, less-than-two minute song about a heartbreak / breakup that comes immediately to mind is Anne Murray’s Snowbird.)

What, no love for Turn Down Day? :wink:

And two very minor nitpicks, not to be an ass but just in case you ever get asked these questions to win a million dollars- The Beatles last concert was Aug 29, 1966 (and definitely did not run over into August 30th), and both Red Rubber Ball and Snowbird are over two minutes.

I should have known he’d bid us farewell.

Not at alI. I’m happy for any corrections.

A few minutes ago I talked to a co-worker who attended the two Shea Stadium Beatles concerts and one in Philadelphia. She said the Ronettes headlined the three opening acts, not Cyrkle as I said in the OP.

For the Snowbird timing I’m relying on my recollections of dubbing from LP to audiocassette years ago. They’re not vague though. I distinctly remember – I have a picture in my mind – of the timer reading 1:58 or 1:59 consistently. I admit I don’t know Red Rubber Ball’s timing. I’m going strictly by feel, but if any song seems shorter than two minutes, that one does.

I just never cared for Turn Down Day. I suspect you do not either, am I right?

And Yes
I Think
It’s Going to Be Alright
Yes
The Worst is Over Now
The Mornin’ Sun is Shinin’ Like
A Red Rubber Ball.

I always liked the movement of that pievce, even if I thought the lyrics were goofy.

They always reminded me of that series The Prisoner, which came out at the same time, although Rover was Bouncin’ like a White Rubber Ball.

I only know those two singles, but Red Rubber Ball is clearly superior- Turn Down Day is one of those follow ups where it seems like they tried to get another hit by making a song sound very similar to the previous one, and it worked.

And you’re right, list times on a 45 were often exaggerated, or lessened, or rounded off.

In Memoriam.

I loved that song a lot when I was a kid and heard it on the radio.

Forgot all about it, 40 years go by, I’m watching a funny movie called “Dodgeball” and a cover of that song is playing over the closing credits.

I was amazed that I still knew the words enough to sing along with it. And having been through some experiences the words were now more poignant than I had at first appreciated.

The Cyrcle and Bobby Hebb opened for the Beatles at JFK Stadium in Philadelphia on 8/16/66. I still have my ticket stub. :slight_smile:

Great concert. R.I.P., Tom Dawes.

Touring with the Beatles meant performing before 50,000 instead of a hundred or so. The same was true for the Beatles though, fame hit them just as fast.

The tour coincided with the release of Red Rubber Ball and gave it undreamed-of exposure.

Red Rubber Ball’s lyrics and mood remind me of Already Gone by the Eagles – the same idea is present of coming out of a breakup-induced tailspin and feeling renewed strength.

The titles Already Gone and Red Rubber Ball scan the same in their respective choruses and are the same number of syllables.

And I think it’s gonna be all right
yes the worst is over now
the morning sun is shining like
a RED … RUBBER BALL.

The anxious, troubled, minor-key staccato of evenly spaced syllables in the first three lines gives way to in-your-face gloating (toward the former partner in the failed relationship) in the final line where each syllable is elongated expansively. “Like a RED … RUBBER BALL” is the same thing as the Eagles’ “Yes I’m AL … READY GONE.”

*Already Gone * is maniacally exuberant (listen to the guitar-solo bridge) while Red Rubber Ball’s mood is one of only just regaining psychological equilibrium after the failed relationship. Both songs are very fast.