The Gap is giving away clothes?

Does anyone have the Straight Dope on this e-mail? I can’t find anything on snopes, but maybe I just missed it:

• Subject: Fwd: Fw: Fwd: FW: Gap Certificates-I hope you like GAP!
    I thought I was the only one. I redeemed $245.00 worth of certificates too.

I just could not believe my eyes. This was the first time something like this happened to me. My screen came up after 17 messages.

-----Original Message-----
Subject: GAP CERTIFICATES

Hey guys, I finally found one that is TRUE! I went down to the gap myself and redeemed my GIFT CERTIFICATES already!!! I sent enough e-mails to get over two hundred dollars worth of clothes from the GAP! You know, with all the crap sent over the mail, it is good to know that something finally rings true in this environment of virtual deception. Send it to everyone you know, and you too can have a whole new wardrobe, courtesy of THE GAP! Isn’t it grand? Just One more detail, my “screen” only came up after I had sent out nineteen different messages. It must have something to do with how the strange program works…What will they think of next…

Hi! My name is Janelle McCan, Founder of the Gap. I am offering thirty five dollar gift certificates to every seven people you send this to. When you have finished sending this letter to as many people as you wish, a screen will come up. It will tell you how much you have earned in Gap gift certificates. Print that screen out and bring it to your local Gap store. The sales clerk will give you your certificates and you can SHOP BABY! This is a sales promotion to get our name out to young people around the world.

We believe this project can be a success, but only with your help.

Thank you for your support.

Sincerely,
Janelle McCan
Founder of Gap
This seems too much like “something for nothing” and “too good to be true.” Since when does The Gap need help getting its name out to young people?? Can anyone help verify or debunk this story?

Always check with snopes!

The particular e-mail you received is described here.

(search for the word “clothes”)

Yes, it’s an UL. If it’s not on snopes try the urban legend page at About.com. I believe that’s where I saw it.

(I still wouldn’t wear that stuff – even for free! Blech!)

a closer look at snopes turned up what I didn’t see before, sorry to waste your time :slight_smile:

It is, of course, complete BS. This page at Snopes has the gory details.

sigh Never underestimate human gullibility…

I wish I could be in a Gap store when someone comes in to try and redeem that certificate.

I’ve never understood why the people who make up these things don’t do a little research to at least make them sound plausible, i.e., get the name of the founder right; and why they make ridiculous claims; i.e., say that the Gap “needs to get its name out to young people around the world” and is going to do so by giving away thousands of dollars via e-mail. Two words: advertising agency.

Why don’t people at least make them sound plausible?

They are funnier the stupider they are. The whole purpose of these has got to be laughing when they get out of hand. It s sort of like telling people that gullible isn’t in the dictionary.

Janelle McCann isn’t the founder of the Gap?! Wow. Next thing you know, I’ll learn that there really isn’t a Walt Disney Jr.

Peace.

I’m still waiting for Bill Gates to send me a $1500 check.