The Ghost Writer: EXCELLENT Film!

We went to see The Ghost Writer with moderate expectations - even though it did have 81% approval on Rotten Tomatoes and won the Silver Bear for best Director at the Berlin FilmFest for Roman Polanski. To be honest, I sort of thought it would be an “artsy” film with style over content.
How wrong I was.

From the first moment (that sort of made me wonder if I were watching Shutter Island again) you get caught up in a chilling story, on a chilly island, and a death.

From there, it never stopped and the story took some interesting twists and turns. The style was very much like old Hitchcock films, with odd locations and odd people showing up at every turn. The story is easy to follow, with layer upon layer of intrigue. The set pieces were eerily cool, complimenting the sense of a chill in the air - from the weather as well as the people inhabiting the island sanctuary.

If you like good mysteries and espionage films, you will really like this film.

And the final scene of the film is a classic - a brilliant visual ending to this excellent film.

Does it involve a glowing ball of light that can read words and rearrange letters?\

[sub][/Little Joke][/sub]

I liked it, but not as much as you did, I think. Excellent acting and excellent plotting, though. (We went for my friend M’s birthday – his pick because he liked the Robert Harris book on which it was based.) My immediate reaction after the lights went up was “very retro” – a loving homage to Hitchcock, in addition to being eminently watchable in its own right. (The cinematography was also wonderful.)

If you’re wondering why the woman who played the wife looked familiar – she played the teacher/mentor of An Education. (I had to IMDb her after getting home to figure it out.)

I did notice a lot of Hitchcock in this movie, and that was nicely done. Didn’t like it nearly as much as the OP though, as the resolution reeked a little too much of Europe’s currently fashionable anti-Americanism. (I don’t think that gives away too much.) The denouement was so much conspiracy-theory nonsense.

Folks are more likely to remember her from The Sixth Sense, or Rushmore, or The Postman. :slight_smile:

Haven’t seen any of those, believe it or not.

Or that she was one of the main actors in Dollhouse (Adelle).

I enjoyed the movie. I didn’t think it was brilliant but it was a good enough time.

Saw it tonight and on the whole thought it was very good. Polanski is so good at atmosphere, and the first 2/3 of the movie just simmers in it (or shivers, maybe, since it’s a cold kind of suspense…). I can’t figure out what it is: his movies are pretty straightforward, with no trickery, but somehow achieve this weird sense of claustrophobia. I think it has something to do with the way he uses sound…(?) Anyways, he pulls that off again here. Ewan McGregor was good in the lead, and the premise worked. The ending…

The whole “RUTH-WAS-RECRUITED-BY…” trick was unworthy, and corny. The idea of a foreign leader being a CIA agent (or manipulated by CIA agents) doesn’t bother me much, but it being a British prime minister, and one so obviously a fantasy version of the Blairs, did. The “poodle” accusations always felt unfair: I never saw reason to believe that Blair wasn’t his own man, and if opponents didn’t like his policies they could criticize them - and him - on those grounds alone. This movie giving validation - even of a fantasy sort - to the accusations strikes me as rather obnoxious.

Anyways, nothing to do with this movie, but anyone else wish Polanski would do another movie with elements of the supernatural in it? “Repulsion”, “Rosemary’s Baby”, and “The Tenant” are - IMHO - some of his best, and his style seems so suited to it.

Actually, I am surprised - The Sixth Sense seems like one of those movies it’s safe to assume “everyone” has seen.

(BTW, I have seen The Sixth Sense - and Rushmore - and didn’t recognize the actress at all!)

We enjoyed this movie, particularly the Hitchcockian aspects and noirish feel of it. The plot sort of jumped the shark at some point, but by then I was caught up in the atmosphere of the thing, so didn’t much mind. It was tightly edited and sparingly shot, which was good. Nice to see Eli Wallach again, and almost didn’t recognize Jim Belushi in the beginning. Kim Cattrall was sucky, but then I’ve never liked her. Her accent kept fading in and out.

Wow, this doesn’t sound like the same Nicholas Cage motorcycle movie I saw…

Everyone but a contrarian snob like myself, you mean?

I don’t really care for horror or supernatural films, so, no, I’ve never seen anything by M. Night Shamalan (sp?).[/ot]

This was the most suspenseful film I’ve seen since No Country for Old Men, and prior to that I’d have to go all the way back to Silence of the Lambs to match it. Wonderfully atmospheric and also very smart - in the sense of the lines that weren’t in the script - it’s easy for me to imagine a lesser script lobbing lines to the audience that underscore the premise’s own importance: “you mean this goes to the very highest levels of government!?”

I could nitpick plot elements and the ending, but that’s nowhere near as enjoyable for me as the film was overall.