The governor of Massachusetts has WHAT?!

Maybe they’re just saying that the governor’s got a lot of spunk.

And since it was in the cum pool, we wish we hadn’t.

If it had been written as “…a 24-room house cum pool, 1,000 foot driveway, and squash court”, it would make sense. But as written, “scaled back to a mere 10 rooms, cum pool…” is just so, so wrong.

Maybe it was originally something like “jacuzzi-cum-pool” and got edited in an unfortunate way.

I’d hate to be the pool boy for that house!

Is it twue what they say about the way you people are 'gifted?
Zzzzzzzip!
Oh it’s twue… it’s twue… it’s twue!

Not really. As usually understood, a house-cum-pool would not be a house with a pool (despite the Latin), but a combination house and pool - say, a house with a floodable first floor and floating furniture.

So, this is actually an editor’s sneaky little trick? I saw what he did there…

In the good ole days Fort Knox was actually full of gold. And now THIS is all we have to back up our currency?

The shame…

That explains the boom economy during Clinton’s presidency…

Is it me or do some of those pictures look like screen shots from City of Wonder on Facebook?

Especially #3, they look like Embassies.

As Peter Gabriel sang, “And my heaven will be a big heaven; and I will walk through the front door…”

Conservatives have preached it for years, but after 7 years of gay marriage in Massachusetts, this was bound to happen. :wink:

I am not feeling the rage the either. There’s a bunch of nice houses in Massachusetts and I am happy that someone can still build new ones. It is a rich state and somebody has to have them. I am much happier knowing it is a governor rather than a Mafia figure. I am not a huge Duval Patrick fan but I don’t think he is corrupt or sleazy. If he has his own money to build one, good for him. Do people stay in a constant rage walking around Europe seeing all those fancy castles and elaborate chateaus everywhere? I don’t think so.

This is minor league stuff in comparison. If they wanted to do a photo shoot of excessive New England mansions, they should have picked on Newport, R.I. but that is a tourist draw because those old ones are so over the top and lined up one after another.

Where’s the cum line? It’s not on the page the OP links to.

The original page linked to is now page 10 I think; “cum” has been changed to “with”, presumably as we’re not the only ones to point and giggle.

Ah, OK. Is that what the OP was referring to, though, or to the fact that the mansion’s just that big? If it’s the former, (s)he was expecting us to do a lot of work to look for that!

They did change the caption to the house’s photo in the slideshow from “cum” to “with.” But the full story is currently using this wording:

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/house/articles/2011/08/12/john_henrys_conspicuous_construction/

Still awkward wording, if you ask me. Ten rooms have their own pools?! Or is it that the cum-pool is the size of a mere ten rooms?! :stuck_out_tongue:

I plead the Fifth.