The Grammys..

Sweet Baby James was the JT song. And he was accompanied by Yo Yo Ma.

If that’s the criteria for a Grammy, then you should add Clear Channel to your list.

I was happy that Norah Jones won, because I think she’s pretty and has a nice voice … not that my opinion counts. I hope she doesn’t turn into one of those flash in the pan award winners though.

Almost all of yme’s list DID win Grammys.

Eminem 2
Coldplay 2
No Doubt 2
Nellie 2
Ashanti 1
Korn 1
NickleBack 0
Avril 0

According to Billboard.com , Norah Jones’ cd went 4 times platinum. That’s a pretty big impact. Her cd is pretty good.

Jenny*

YEAH!! HA FUCKING HA!

Didn’t see the show (I don’t miss Alias for anything) and have a few questions:

1. Did they remember to include Layne Staley during the tribute to dead musicians from the past year?

2. How did the Clash tribute sound? Dave Grohl’s involvement in a project normally signals quality, but I have to wonder.

3. What did Robin Williams win for? I didn’t know he had released anything in years.

Does anyone know WHY Dustin Hoffman or Simon and Garfunkel were the opening act at the Grammys?

I still haven’t figured out why Dustin Hoffman but S&G were getting a Lifetime Achievement Award. In fact, the Grammy people leaked the fact that they were going to team up for the first time in years in a bid to attract viewers.

brianjedi: yes they included Staley. The “In Memoriam” segment segued right into the Clash tribute, which sounded fine to me. But it’s not exactly high art in the original, so… Robin Williams won for the audio version of his live HBO special last year.

Governor: I think Dustin said S & G were getting a lifetime achivement Grammy, thus the performance. It is quite rare for them to get together nowadays, so it was big enough to open the show with. Dustin Hoffman? Simply because of the Graduate.

I thought it was OK. Did anyone see that huge thing of spit come out of Stevie Van Zandt’s (sp?) mouth? Is it really necessary for musicians to have their mouths all over the microphones? Does it serve any purpose?

Hmm, I’m checking out the results, and I see that Carlos Santana and Michelle Brurch won for “Smooth”. I mean, “The Game of Love”. If Carlos is just going to sing the same songs over and over, hasn’t he realized yet that he has to space his albums out a little?

Norah Jones is an excellent artist. I have no problem with her winning a few awards. My biggest disappointment is that Remy Shand didn’t win anything (a skinny white guy from Winnipeg signed to Motown, and getting 4 grammy nominations for R&B with his debut album - that alone is an accomplishment). The man is pure talent; I predict that he will be doing bigger and better things in the future.

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahah!

I’m sorry, but I…Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah.

No, I didn’t mean to laugh, it’s just that the…Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha…

Just imagine that Sam Stone’s laughter is continuing through my post, as it well should.

yme: exactly what influence did Korn have on music in '02? Or was that a typo, and did you mean 1998?

In fact, let the laughter continue right through the rest of this thread. The only comforting thought is that all the artists who deserved Grammys this year and missed out will at least be awarded them in 20 years time when they will be old, fat and in the twilight of their career.