The Great Escape: What is Ives saying?

On The Great Escape, there is a scene when Ives and Hilts are in the cooler. Hilts (Steve McQueen) asks Ives (Some guy) “How much do you think you could get through in say, 8 hours?”. Ives then replies with, “I could … But you know its not the ticket, …”

Can someone fill in the two sets of “…” for me? I can’t make out what the hell he is saying!

Thankyou!

"I could cut through this stuff here, like the bit on the end of an auger. But you know, it’s not the digging. It’s the shoring up with wood, and getting the dirt out. That’s what you have to worry about."

Holy sh!t Kilgore,
how did you reply so fast?!?

Angus Lennie played Ives.

i put in the dvd, and watched it with subtitles on.

Do you love the movie as much as I do or something?

And what is an auger? More to the point, what’s the bit on the end of it?

Aha, so you cheated!

Could you make what he was saying without the subtitles?

an auger is a tool used for boring.

yes, i love that movie.

it wasn’t cheating. i knew the auger line, and i knew he said digging, and not ticket.

i checked the dvd to be accurate.

Auger–sometimes known as a brace and bit.

Don’t let him fool ya with the “aw shucks” routine, he won $34,000 on Final Jeopardy last year with that question.

:smiley:

“Don’t let him fool ya with the “aw shucks” routine, he won $34,000 on Final Jeopardy last year with that question.”

errr… come again?

Kilgore Trout is actaully, in real life, Angus Lennie.

That was his big moment in Show Business, and he’s still bitter about not parlaying it into larger roles.

He now lives alone in Malibu, in a house with no ocean view, and drinks a lot at night.

aye, 'tis true.