The Great Ongoing Guitar Thread

Truthfully, I haven’t made much progress with it. I can’t figure out Ableton at all. Pro Tools First looks much more intuitive but I haven’t been able to get a signal yet. My problem is that I have no studio monitors so I skipped the step where you assign the mixer as your sound card for the application - I think that might have something to do with it. But I had a notion just now … I’m not sure if it’ll work, but why couldn’t I use an amp as a monitor? The mixer has 1/4" outs. Amps have 1/4" ins. I have 1/4" instrument cables. Makes sense to me. I’ll give it a shot. If you don’t hear back from me I’ve blown myself through my living room wall ala Marty McFly.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure you’ll need to assign the mixer as the sound card to use it. Ableton is really mostly a sequencer for arranging electronic music. It’s also an audio workstation, but it’s a bit much for just recording a demo. I’d start with Pro Tools, and move in to Ableton as you get used to Pro Tools.

You can use an amp as a monitor in a pinch. However, it’s going to be fairly low fi, and unless you use two amps, it’s going to be mono. Also, the signal level coming out of the mixer is going to be line level, which is a lot more powerful than a guitar signal.

I’d advise just grabbing a set of headphones. Just about every over ear set is going to have better sound than an amp or a set of earbuds.

i have the Scarlett 18i20, the 8 input version of this.

#1. i suggest getting Pro Tools. They have a subscription for ~30 bucks a month. It comes with some decent plugins and you get updates free. The plug ins are decent and include things like midi pianos, strings, effects like reverb and delay plus lots of other stuff.

#2 Go buy an SM-57. About 100 last time i looked. Great for micing amps and acoustics.

#3. Buy a cheap USB keyboard controller for midi. You don’t have to be able to play, just single finger stuff is ok for bass lines, etc.

#4. Buy Steve Slate Drums. They kick ass.

#5. There are some free amp sims that are pretty good. Brain Worx has some good cheap sims, i like their Boogie. Try lots of demos, buy what you like.

#6 You can get decent monitors for 100-150 a pair last I looked.

#6 ). Go read some artciles on routing and eqing.

Slee

Jack Batty I have a Focusrite 6i6 and I love it. I use the S/Pidif output from an AX8 into the the Focusrite.

I don’t use either of those DAWs. From what I read on KVR and elsewhere, Ableton crashes a lot with many VSTis.

I use Orion for sequencing VSTis. Orion is no longer in production I think. Then I use an old version of Nuendo for tracking guitars and mixing overall songs.

Basically, you have to play around and find a DAW that you bond with. Then learn its ins and outs.

Some DAWS are easier than others but they all have a learning curve. It comes usually comes down to work flow and if it clicks for you or not.

Yeah, sounds like you need a mic and some monitors if you are going to get into it.

So I finished my Polymetric Project a few weeks ago and finally made some placeholder videos for the songs.

Basically, I was inspired by the polymetric parts in the King Crimson song “Discipline.”

After some experimenting, I found that I liked when 2 different parts were offset by 2 beats and then on the second part, shifting all the notes 1 space on.

So the first voice might have 16 beats with all the notes on odd numbers, while the second voice might might have 14 beats with all the notes on even numbers. Upon repetition, the 2 voices desync then resync and so on.

I wrote the songs in a sequencer with the idea of translating the parts to guitar. Well, 3 turned out acceptable and 6 I had to redo with synths.

I made a playlist of them and here (hopefully) it is:
Polymetric Project

I had a bass playing friend that was kind of obsessed with Levin in general and the the Discipline album in particular. It seems like you did learn the way they structured those parts. But yeah, you kind of have to be a person who can play like a machine or be an actual machine to really pull those kind of songs off (said the guy who can’t count time without concentrating). It kind of comes across sounding like a gamelan. Nice job!

BTW, did you know one of the videos in that playlist (number 8) is a private video?

Fixed it, thanks! And thanks for checking it out.

I found that it wasn’t so much hitting the beat (which is hard) but the length of the note had to be insanely precise on the faster tempo songs, in order to not step on the toes of the following note on the other part. To do that on guitar was beyond my ability for the majority of the songs unfortunately. But I did pull it off for 3 of them.

I’ve been getting back into playing, and want to record at home as I mentioned up thread.

I’ve never mixed guitars and computers before, but here it goes.

First ever video edit (trim and title card:rolleyes:)

Second ever youtube upload
Just some noodling Daisy caught on her Zenpad at a friends house.

Haven’t been back to this thread in quite some time. Still taking lessons from the same guy I started with several years ago. Been playing a LOT of blues and slide.

I’m thinking of getting a lap steel guitar. Looks like it would be fun to mess around on without a huge cash outlay. Anybody have any experience with these or recommendations?

Decided I wanted to tackle Coltrane’s Naima, using this guy’s guitar adaptation. There are some pretty wild chord shapes in there. I mainly want to learn it because it’s one of the most beautiful jazz tunes ever written.

I took up the lap steel about a year ago, and it’s a blast. Some thoughts:

1. You don’t want a new one. There are a lot of vintage lap steels out there for short money. Some brand names to consider: Supro, Magnatone, Dickerson. Check on Reverb.

2. I prefer a “Long Dawg” slide bar to a “Lap Dawg.” And that’s with a 6-string. You will of course be presented with the option of an 8-string or more.

3. I use C6 tuning but there are lots of options including E9 tuning. You can always get a double-neck and have both. I like C6 cause it gives you the sound of the old Hank Williams records.

4. The Steel Guitar Forumis a great resource. Check it out. Tabs, instruments for sale, general discussion, etc. etc.

Hey, thanks for the info, especially on makes to look for.

I’ve had one Agile Les Paul ($275) and one SX tele ($89) from Rondo music, and recommend them highly. SX Lap 3 Lap Steel

Here is a cheap Lap steel, if you’re lookin for cheap.

I like open E for slide.

Quality over price, always. But I know that some of the cheaper steels are good quality.

Sweet, if you’re set I recommend a Duesenberg.

This guy has one with levers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZugciiF2QBE

I’ve never used the lever system (just saw it this month) but he’s killin it.
I do most of my sliding acoustically. I just scored a new video editor, so I may put up a clip of that (once I get goin) for all those who need a good laugh.:smiley:

Hey there -

My Blues Jr died just now. Symptoms were I was playing, then BRRRRAAPT and the ‘on’ ruby light died. I figure it’s a power supply issue, not tube related. But is it worth retubing the power tubes, or is that hopeless and just see a tech? (The tech I have no idea how to find.)
Thanks.

If it won’t power on, it’s time to see a tech. Tubes may have been taken out when it broke, but having a blown tube won’t prevent it from powering on.

As far as finding an amp tech. I’d go to a store you like and see who they recommend. If it’s a really good store, they’ll have a guy on site.

ETA: Check the fuse, just to save a trip.

I’m not a great player. I just do it occasionally to amuse myself.

I don’t keep it in perfect tune but occasionally it gets too bad for even me. It seems that more often than not I have to tune it down. It seems like the strings would stretch so I would have to tune up.

Is this normal or is it confirmation bias. I honestly think it goes sharp more than it goes flat.

Opinions?

Hmm, the only time I have a bass or guitar go sharp on me is when I have put them through a temperature change. Are you in different environments when you re-tune?

Depends on the instrument. I have solidbody guitars that are tuning-solid for apparently days, others that blow with the wind, um, temperature, up or down, even across a very few degrees of temp deviation. And don’t forget about strings getting hung up on the nut: do a bend, string goes sharp and gets stuck slightly that way.

Nope, same environment. Acoustic guitar. I checked it again this morning. Tad sharp.