The Great Ongoing Guitar Thread

My experience is that is usually due to temp or humidity variations. Even sunlight on the guitar can warm it enough to change the tuning in a room.

In Other News: I’m in the middle of modifying my friend’sEpiphone Pro1 acoustic from a pinless to a pinned bridge (the bridge actually cracked when he put medium strings on). It’s also getting a pickup and a TRC from Petros guitars shop.

Well, I went and totally lost my mind. There was an Ampeg SVT-215E on sale at a steal of a price locally. My singer alerted me to it, and I convinced my wife to let me get it by letting her know it would live at the practice space. 8X10 cabinets are nice, but there’s just something about 2x15 cabs that I’ve always loved. Moving them was never one of them, but at least this one works as its own handcart.

Here’s a pic, if you’re the type that needs visual aids.

Sweet baby Jesus! That must be an assault to not only the ears but the entire body.

What does that weigh? Hmm…look up the specs…148 lbs! Yeah, good thing it has wheels. Better hope you never play in a place that requires stairs or you’ll need to hire a moving company.

Hehe, yeah, when I first plugged it in and tried it out. I wasn’t that impressed with how much air it pushed. I had a 2x15 combo when I was young that I remember being much louder. Then I realized I was standing of to the side. I walked around front, and yeah, that was what I was looking for. It still doesn’t seem to have as much bass response as I had expected, but I haven’t been more than a couple of feet away from it.

And yes, I have 3 other 4x10 cabs (and a 1x15 that got loaned out and is running around somewhere) for shows that have more than 2-3 stairs to deal with. :smiley:

Haven’t posted on the 'Dope in a while. However, yesterday I was informed that I won this:

guitar from The Music Zoo. The website has a monthly giveaway and I enter them from time to time. Apparently the first person they picked never responded and it fell down to me.

YAY - FREE GUITAR!

I have had a shred guitar on my wish list for a while and this one ought to fill that need nicely. Not a huge fan of the color but, hey, IT’S FREE!

Slee

Wow, I don’t normally like shredder guitars, but that one is actually pretty! Nice win, slee!

I’ve played a show with the 2X15 now, and I love it. I’ll haul that thing just about anywhere for how it sounds. Big and smooth, it’s so efficient, I’ve turned the amp down from 3.5 to 2.1 or so.

In non-guitar news, I got a Yamaha Reface YC organ emulator a month ago, and can basically play it a month later. I’ve been writing some keys parts for some songs on my band’s next record, and everyone seems to like the results so far. If I knew rock organ was so easy, I would have picked it up decades ago.

I just entered to win the Gretsch!

I haven’t touched a guitar in 45 years, but Amazon had a sale on the Yamaha FG820, so I plucked it. Now I am fretting over the best way to get started - I’ll probably use JustinGuitar.

Heh. Fretting.

Speaking of recording a record. The infamous I Suppose You Know Karate EP (Dressed in Black and Don’t Bury Me), which we’ve been working on longer the Chinese Democracy, is world-wide. I don’t know if this is couth to be pimping this here, but for one thing, my magnificent business skills have me here offering the entire CD for free and I figure … guitar thread, it’s sort of related, and I know guitar players are vicious critics so this is doubly baring my unparalleled business acumen for all to see. But I’ve said too much all ready.

If you’re interested, you can hear all our songs on YouTube here, though this is not in the proper CD order. Be gentle. This one features none of my songs so none of my vocals or leads, but a fair of amount of my riffs, big ass crunching chords and backing vocals. We also have a different drummer now who is really, really good, so it’s all gelling now.

I’m sure the mods will tell me if I’ve overstepped my bounds.

Jack Batty I like the production on most of those songs. The drums and bass especially sound nice. Where did you record the songs and who mixed/mastered them? Did it cost a lot?

I am not really sure what genre those songs fit.

Recorded at Acadia Studios in Portland, ME by a guy named Todd Hutchisen. He’s the owner/operater/main engineer and he’s brilliant and a super nice guy. He also appeared on the CD playing pedal steel and some Hammond for us. Mixed by same along with the band. They’ve got a guy who sort of sub-contracts space in the studio and he does the mastering and he did a good job.

It was all relatively cheap. Studio time was completely reasonable. I think doing all the final production stuff (printing CDs, CD-Baby sales, marketing, all that shit) cost about the same as the recording.

I’m not quite sure what the genre is either. We cite bands like Radiohead and The Pixies, but we also have a serious Cars dynamic in the band somehow as well (personality wise, that is). I’d call it Adult Oriented Alt-Rock. The songs that I’ve written, which will appear on our next effort, are a little more straight ahead rock/pop numbers.

Thanks for the interest. I’m really jacked about this.

Interesting thread. As a beginner in guitar playing, I found here a lot of useful info and details about guitar playing. I like playing songs in the style of '80s, and I read somewhere that if I want to achieve the sound similar to solo in popular Nirvana songs( my favorite band ever), I need to buy chorus pedal. Does anyone have that thing? Is it true that it makes the sound more complete and catchy? I found an excellent review of the best chorus pedals in 2020 here bestelectricguitars.reviews/best-chorus-pedals and want to buy one. But I still not sure whether it worth buying one or not. I liked The EHX Small Clode pedal the most because it is said to be the Nirvana sound. If someone can give me a few tips, I’d be thankful.

But which Nirvana guitar sound do you mean. Perhaps “Come As You Are”? The opening guitar part certainly sounds to be chorused to me. I happen to have the MXR pedal at your link (the Silver award winner), and I love it for its sound and the amount of control you have over what it does.

ETA: Ah, after reading the actual words at your link, I assume I was right about the “Come As You Are” sound… :slight_smile:

Re chorus pedals, using the MXR I mentioned above, you can get close to this gorgeous chorus sound: Graham Parker’s “My Love’s Strong.”

(cheap GP plug, but this guy should be better known)

I’ve owned several chorus pedals, the EHX Small Clone should do you fine. If you find one you like better, you can always sell the old one on Reverb. I don’t really use chorus pedals much myself, but they do have their place in the world.

Re: a discussion way upthread about tonewoods and electric guitars.

My thoughts are that considering pickups, amplifiers, and effect pedals I don’t see why one should bother with a tonewood for a solid or semi hollowbody electric guitar. That being said, I also believe a less dense wood absorbs vibrations and a dense wood serves as a conductor. That’s why those folks in Nazareth PA put an ebony bride on my guitar, not pine. So maybe if you’re seriously interested in, um, let me call it ‘natural’ sustain you might want to consider a denser and heavier wood.

Well, I ended up with a third Idiotbox effect that’s unusual, as well. It’s a Holy Trooper Fuzz. It’s got three germanium transistors, no knobs, and is out of production. Since I was fooling around with all three, I decided to make a single video for all of them. So, you asked for it, you got it, Toyota: Three Unusual IdiotBoxes.

Took me a few months and a couple message boards, but I finally saw this. At least, I don’t think I replied to this before. New board confusion and all that.

Cool toys. Some of them seemed pretty specialized, but I really dug the reverb effect around 3 minutes in. I was confused and disturbed by Big Bird’s head towards the end. :open_mouth:

It’s fun to see toys like these. Favorite name HAS to go to the Space Mod-Delay-Tor. :+1:

Hehehe, thanks. I haven’t made a new vid in months. I have a lot more of those toys, several weirder than those. I enjoyed making them, and probably should at least finish the series of vids on the mystery pedals that I started.

I’ve got a cheapo Danelectro French Toast copy of a Foxx Tone Machine on the way, too. It’s still a golden age of playing guitar, even if there may not be any clubs to play at in a year or so.

I might have said something earlier in the thread. I don’t remember. If I did, I am sure it was along the lines of, “I agree completely when it comes to electric solid body guitars. I have no idea how the wood of the body, and especially the neck, would affect the vibration of the strings and the “signal” that is picked up when they vibrate over the pickup magnets.” An acoustic guitar is a different beast entirely. I personally don’t think it would make a whole lot of difference if say, mahoghany sides and sitka spruce is used on one guitar, and the whole thing is made of sitka spruce on another, but I can at least see theoretically that they would sound different. You can easily change the sound of an acoustic by even lightly laying a hand on the top. So if the density of mahogany and spruce are very different, I suppose they might vibrate differently and this could be detected by measuring instruments, or by someone with ears better than I have.