The Guess Who - Damn, they were good!

I think you and I will have to agree to disagree on that. :wink:

:eek:

Oh really? Who are you? Who? Who?

No sugar tonight in YOUR coffee!

Stay away from me. Let me be.

Wow, I came in to rave about the Guess Who, but… better than the Who? Um, no.

I first heard them in 1965 with their cover of “Shakin’ All Over,” but I didn’t know who they were at the time and didn’t make the connection until much later.

It was “These Eyes” that grabbed me. Still one of my favorite 60s song. A lot of 60s work feels timeless but some songs just evoke a sense of time and place that’s intensely personal. That song along with “You Made Me So Very Happy” take me back to college and 1969 in ways that transcend how very good the songs actually are.

That got me to buy their Wheatfield Soul album, the one that broke them in America. It’s an oddly gentle album for them, more folk-rock than pop rock. Then the hits, and more hits, and songs that you know that weren’t really hits but get played enough so that you think they were and a song as awesomely great as “Runnin’ Back to Saskatoon” which first appeared on a live album.

Great band, but not as original or transformative as The Who. They don’t have to be. Isn’t great enough?

But are they as good as the Wonder Who?

What can I say - there aren’t any songs by The Who that I really like. Maybe I need to listen to more of their catalog of songs or something, but from what I have heard of them, I’m just not really impressed. On the other hand, whenever No Sugar Tonight comes on on the radio, I turn it up loud - because that song is just badass. To me, in some ways crafting one really good, catchy, rocking pop hit is more impressive than having a big discography of deep and complex songs.

I’ve always thought of them as “that American Women band,” but I guess they do have more songs than that. Good songs too. Maybe I should take some time to listen to some more of them.

The list I posted above are all links to youtube videos of the songs. You can hear them all right there and see if you like the band. I’m guessing you will.

A guy I met back in about 1982 or so when I was an on-air host at a radio station in Ontario and I was at an event that Cummings was at also. I wasn’t impressed with Cummings personally, but I remain impressed with his musical abilities. Especially his voice–give a listen to some of his solo stuff sometime (“I’m Scared” and “Dream of a Child” come to mind first) and see if you don’t agree.

I think that in addition to playing when and where he can, Randy Bachman is hosting a show on CBC Radio nowadays.

As for the Guess Who and the songs that have been listed here–yeah, they were good. Damn good.

Sam, given that mostly I know you from your typically cogent discussions on conservative politics, I’m surprised you included this hippie/commie song as an example.

:slight_smile:

So I’m doing a job in Swift Current, and I finish it a bit earlier than I expected. I have a hotel room, but it’s 6pm or so on a Thursday and I say screw it, I’m going home tonight. 'Bout 2.5 hrs drive to Saskatoon. North on 4 to Rosetown. It’s late fall, so it’s already dark when I turn East onto 7. Rolling past Harris and Tessier, and I’m getting into range of the Saskatoon FM stations, so I fiddle around with the dial, and…

Why yes. Yes I am runnin’ back to Saskatoon. Last stretch of that trip never went by so fast.

Never let politics get in the way of good music.

The Guess Who always sounded a little “bubble gum” to me. I didn’t like any of their hits, though I bet I know nearly every word to every song.

Because they were the front band for a CIA mind control program.

Gah. Now there’s a depressing statistic.

Was everybody else buying The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald?

I will say that at times the Guess Who were somewhat better than mediocre. I enjoyed their performance on ABC’s “In Concert” many years ago (they were on the bill with ELO and B.B. King). They’ve done a couple of songs I won’t leap to turn off when they’re on the radio.

BTO stank royally, though.

Ugh…it worked. I hate when a suck song can stay in my brain for decades.

Makes perfect sense to me. I love The Who, but I also am a sucker for a well crafted radio friendly tune with a killer hook.

You know, The Guess Who were big right before my time - at age 10 - 12 I was a KISS fan, which morphed to Aerosmith and Ted Nugent (I expanded my horizons a tad from there, thank god). But as you might imagine, I loved BTO - Roll On Down the Highway, Let it Ride - all the stuff off their Greatest Hits. American Woman from GW was hard enough and had enough staying power as a hit to find my radar screen, but the other songs like These Eyes I just heard in passing.

I have only come back to them after I have invested more in music. Really good stuff. I kinda put them in the same camp as Badfinger and the Raspberries, then Big Star and Cheap Trick - excellent musicians with well-crafted power pop…

Guitar Geekery: Bachman was a well-known Gretsch collector, and recently donated his collection to the newly-forming Gretsch museum, being built by Fender, who now owns the company…

“Vinyl Tap” on CBC 1 - worth a listen. Great stories, interesting themes (ie, evolution of the Stratocaster). You can catch it on Saturdays or in repeat the following Friday night.

I’m still waiting for the land they’ll be giving away when we all live together. (I’m talkin’ 'bout together, now.)

In the meantime, can you take me kissin’ in your Cadillac?