The Hammond B3 Appreciation Thread

That was a B3 on The Rascals’ “Good Lovin’”, right?

I seem to recall a very avant-garde solo organ track on Al Kooper’s first (I think) LP… I believe it was a B3 he used. Have to give that a spin later.

Don’t remember The Rascals – but Al Kooper was heavy onto the console Hammond organs (that means a C3, a B3, an A-100, even an RT-3) IIRC. Bet you’re right.

Somebody had a damned pretty recent good cover on Hammond of “Season of the Witch” – can’t remember who it was though. Larry Golding[s?], maybe?

I thought Jack White had used a B3 on some of the White Stripes recordings, but I’ve just found out it was an A-100.

And I’m not sure if Lefties Soul Connection use a B3, but whatever model it is, their organist sounds freakin’ awesome. These guys are like the evil twin brothers of Booker T & The MGs - a bunch of Dutch guys that just play the shit out of some original instrumental dirty soul/funk.

An A-100 is essentially the same as a B-3, and when it route them through a Leslie, they sound the same as a B-3 or C-3.

Thank you! I tried to allude earlier, but I think the little model “B3” is so firmly stuck in people’s brains most people forget it’s the same guts as a handful of others.

For example, a C3 = a B3 with full back and sides, and an A100 is the same guts with a little built in speaker. Exact same thing, though, same sound, some tone generator, same percussion and chorus/vibrato, same preset keys. An RT3 is a little different – it has a fancier pedal board, but still with the percussion feature. I had a chance to buy an RT3 once but it was just to big to fit into a friend’s truck. Course there are lots of Hammond models that do not have the same sound – but if one of them was good enough for Booker T. when he was playing with Duck Dunn on bass, probably pretty good, right? :wink:

What can I say, buddy-ro? Some guy got me started drinking 'cause he’d request “Wipe-Out” and sent up a beer every time we played it!;):smiley:

Being only 16 at the time, I’m surprised I made it home some nights!!!

Good times, my friend! Very good times, indeed. My drums are sitting here within sight of me, and so are my guitars 3- 6 strings and 2 basses, a keyboard, and some fender amps, all gathering dust. Come on down anytime! We have plenty of room!

That goes for E, and all my picker friends! Just let me know!

Your pal,

Quas’

One word and one song title:

Farfisa and this

Quas’

The song “Whiter Shade of Pale”, by Procol Harum, featured a B-3 on steroids. I think perhaps The Doors organist played a Hammond on a couple of tunes, but I don’t think he used it as a rule. Vox, maybe?

Manzarek? I saw him on the Hammond, but only in videos. I think him and Krieger were the ones who kept The Doors alive. I could care less for Morrison’s ramblings, basically.

One more thing, though: I want to thank y’all for helping me re-discover this guy! Thank you SO MUCH!

I got behind the drums just a little while ago, but Frosty rocks like I can’t.

Think we may need to start a “Lee Michaels” Appreciation Thread!

Oh my freaking god! Those 2!!!

Quasi

No, pulkamell knows, I’m sure. I think it was a Gibson Kalamazoo or maybe it was a Continental or something. Before my time. I think the rest of the group bought him a Hammond console as a little present, is the way I remember it. Not my favorite group, sorry to say, so I don’t know for sure.

I’ll take Rick Wright any day as a monster organ player! RIP :(. Good stuff on “Riders on the Storm,” though – Manzarek nailed that on the Rhodes piano.

I think “White Shade of Pale” was probably a spinet model Hammond, but I really couldn’t say even if I wanted to hear it again. Good enough for Booker T., them spinets, though, so it ain’t no dis from me. It’s hard to tell the difference if they’re not kicking bass, just from a casual perspective.

As far as I know, you’re right. The signature sound was the Vox, and the Gibson a little later. With a Fender keyboard bass. I’m not aware of him using the B3 on any of the recordings I’m familiar with it, but I don’t know the Doors discography that well, as I’m not a big fan of them, either.

How about a little Brian Auger - picked this one mostly because it features weird late 60s video stylings, and lots of hot chicks in cat suits.

I was always and still am I bit miffed I missed seeing Auger a few years ago – he doesn’t come to Portland, OR that much, and, at the time time, I was all about Joey D. and Dr. Lonnie. Brian Auger certainly is the man, though – no doubt about it.

At age 16! You must have some stories to tell, man! When I was 16 I was sitting in my bedroom listening to Trane and trying to copy Clapton on guitar, and also trying (especially) to make time with some chicks I liked.

Much respect for getting out there and playing the music like a real person! I didn’t start playing improvised music for real until I was in my early 20s (as opposed to just playing little set-pieces), and didn’t become a full-time professional until 5 years ago or so – until then, I was just screwing around and trying to learn. I didn’t even really know how to write music by hand with decent penmanship until a few years ago. Just takes practice, I guess.

Propers to you, man!

Your music probably looked a lot likethis guy’s, huh, Jaledin? :slight_smile:

Your pal,

Quasi

I’m not finding much (good) video for this guy (Dean Rees), but you might like this:
Taken A Hold On Me
I did find one CD on Amazon called *Dean Rees Presents Sweet Felicity Arkwright *which includes the same song. Apparently, he was a member of Humble Pie, once upon a time, but I couldn’t tell you anything else about him.

And, Oh Yeah! Gregg Allman!!!

Yeah, but not that good!

Where would you like me to start? The 4 bald tires on my 63 Chevy Nova with no spare in the dead of winter going home from a gig with my drums in the trunk, back seat and front seat and having to walk to the nearest house to use the phone only to be met with a double barrel shotgun at 1 am?:wink:

Q

Ha! That sounds like a good place to start! Or end! I’m glad you made it out in one piece! (If I’m not back soon, I have a job tonight later, but it might fall through, so please don’t be offended if I don’t check back in until later!)

Paid my goddam dues, that’s all I got to say, man.:wink:

Q