Recommend some great albums that feature the Hammond B3 Organ

I’m a rock and blues/rock guy, but I’ll leave genre out of this entirely, because I don’t want to overlook anything featuring that great Hammond organ sound. Thanks.

If you’re not sure if it’s a B3, that’s fine of course.

Didn’t Jon Lord play Hammonds? So, Deep Purple is a start I guess.

If you’re a blues/rock guy you probably already have some Allman Brothers stuff, but if not, get some. They’ve always featured the B3. Gregg Allman’ was never a huge soloist but his most adventurous Hammond playing is on their first few albums: the two studio albums collected in Beginnings and the live At Fillmore East album.

Anything by Booker T & the MGs.

Cool, I have the Fillmore album; I’ll check out the other.

I’ve got Deep Purple’s Machine Head on vinyl, but I should check out more of their catalog.

Check out Brian Auger. I like Second Wind, but some people may have a problem with Alex Ligertwood’s vocals.

Wiki page

:slight_smile:

I can’t do it now, but find the CD “Have You Had Your Vitamin B3 Today?” (I think)

Great music - and nice cover :wink:

Also - Back at the Chicken Shack - Jimmy Smith. Essential.

Ian McLagan’s work with the Small Faces and the Faces, as well as his session work.

His organ on the Small Faces masterpiece Ogden’s Nut Gone Flake is remarkable, as is his work on “Flying” by the Faces, and their cover of McCartney’s “Maybe I’m Amazed.”

He currently lives in Austin, Texas, and gigs in bars there. If you’re ever lucky enough to see him, you won’t forget him.

Yes! I love his playing.

The James Gang Live In Concert album has a medley of Take A Look Around/Tend My Garden in which Joe Walsh does some nice B3 work. And although their stuff is a bit dated, check out the Vanilla Fudge eponymous debut album for some nice B3 tones.

Didn’t the Doors have some organ sounds on some of their stuff?

Manzarek didn’t use a B3.

Plenty, but most of it was the Vox Continental, a much thinner sounding instrument than the mighty Hammond. Ray Manzarek did play Hammond on the L.A. Woman album, however.

Keith Emerson, of Emerson, Lake and Palmer, started with a Hammond L 100 (not a B3 though)

Lee Michaels.

Justlisten.

That self-titled album was “as close to live as you want to be without being warned” (liner notes). He and a drummer went into the studio one night and cranked out a classic by dawn.

15 posts and no mention of “The House of The Rising Sun” by Eric Burdon and the Animals?

I don’t really know if it was a B3.

Emerson used the L100 live, but his main organ in the studio was a C3, which is just a B3 with a different exterior.

Nope, it’s that Vox Continental again.

Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited

Jimmy Smith - not sure of the album but ‘I Got My Mojo Workin’" shows off the Hammond… I think…

Already mentioned but +1 to Jon Lord, Booker T. (there’s a cool video on the PBS website somewhere of him breaking down on video some of his hits), Lee Michaels. Didn’t see Brian Auger mentioned, but he’s a phat player.

For jazz, it’s way too long a list to get into, but some of my favorites are the not-that-famous-as-he-should-be Don Patterson (“The Exciting New Organ of Don Patterson”'s a great album, as are the sides with Sonny Stitt and everything else he ever cut), Jimmy McGriff, Jack McDuff, and Dr. Lonnie Smith (these last three have plenty of “soul jazz” sides from the late 1960s which kill). I guess Beck is rock, so maybe Dr. Lonnie’s “Boogaloo to Beck” could be good. I like it a lot, as in enough to really transcribe a bunch of things off it.