The Hammond B3 Appreciation Thread

I liked my clav, there is no way to duplicate the feel of a clav on an electronic keyboard. I got mine cheap because the pawn shop that had it didn’t know they took batteries (they ran off of a 9 volt) and thought it was broken. they had acual strings that had to be tuned, but I don’t recall ever having to tune mine.

Heh…yeah, tuning a wurly is an experience. Never buy one that’s out of tune. They do sound nice, and I’ve played a few (but never owned one).

I had a lot of cool stuff over the years, and had a lot of fun with it. Now my kid is into music and I write about music for a living rather than play it.

Oh, I’m just your average player – I’d give plenty odds there are a whole lot of people on this board who could cut me any day of the week in all sorts of music. What I can do, I do pretty well, but it’s not a very wide swath of music – more like a little sliver of the pie.

bdgrGood to hear – no, I’ll not be buying another Wurli ever again, and only kept this 720A (kind of a jive “living room model” with the tube amp but more of a piano-like action than the 200A I had before) because I liked the action and was going to chop it for portability. Not even going to chop it, probably, just go digital if I need the sound live (unlikely – I don’t play a lot of those kinds of jobs anymore). Needs a heck of a lot of resoldering – scratchy pots and some slight tuning adjustment (maybe can get away using beeswax or sliding the reeds a slight bit). Hate that mechanical stuff, but love the sound! Interesting stuff about the Clav – I only had a very vague idea about “sticky pads” and restringing and stuff. Did you ever run it through a wah or an autowah?

Like to hear what kind of stuff you’re writing about, sometime. The only thing I like better than playing keys is reading about playing keys, and always on the prowl for some new material.

Hey, I just caught in the OP “hunchin your old ladies” – you’re a hip one for an old dude, Quasi!

I’d go for “Blue Hour” by Stanley Turrentine and the Three Sounds for some raunch, though. But in the spirit of the thread, JOS “Live at Small’s Paradise” – some of those ballads will make you get zits on your face, they’re so greazy. Add in JOS “Movin’ On” – trio IIRC with Grant Green. Very smoove.

Dr. Lonnie @ “Rise Up” will get you some time with the little woman any time – and the very title indicates there’d be few problems once you round the bases.

Live jamming on a hammond b3 through a leslie cab

Another live one from The Odysseyhttps://soundcloud.com/the-odyssey-bc/black-mamba-live

Dollies aren’t much help getting a B-3 up even a short flight of stairs.

Don’t forget Arthur Brown’s “Fire”.

Hands down: - YouTube

Also - YouTube