The Hateful Eight 70mm Roadshow [open spoilers]

In the end it was just a story of an unlikely pair (black man and Confederate soldier) becoming friends…in a Tarantinoesque way

I wondered that too. I’m wondering if it might have gotten killed in a particularly gruesome jokey Tarantino way and afterwards they decided, “No, you can kill humans like that but you can’t kill dogs or cats like that in the movies! People won’t stand for it!”

I saw it Friday night. 70mm. 11:30pm screening.
I was really surprised that the theater had an 11:30pm screening for a 3 hour movie.

The film looked great. The overture was wonderful, as was the entr’acte. I appreciated getting an official pee break, as I often have problems in that department. I also liked that there were no trailers- odd, since I generally enjoy trailers as part of the movie theater experience, but something about starting the movie with no trailers just made it feel special- like an “event”.

This really felt like a stage play to me in a lot of ways. In particular, as I was watching it I thought of William Saroyan’s “The Time of Your Life” and Eugene O’Neill’s “The Ice Man Cometh”, both set in saloons. I really liked getting that feeling watching a movie in 2015. This is a great benefit from being well established with both artistic credibility and box office success. You’d need both in order to get a film like this made. Can you imagine a first time filmmaker pitching a film to a studio saying, “Well, it’s like a William Saroyan play meets… Whuh? But I’m not finished my pitch… should I have my agent reschedule… Do you validate parking at least!?”

I’m especially glad that I went to the 70mm screening now that I’ve learned that the general release version cuts out 20mins. I went to the 70mm screening just for the visual experience but figured if I considered it a movie I’d like to see twice I might not make the effort the second time around and just go for the general release (it’s a bit of a drive for me to get to the theater with the 70mm). Now that I know that the general release is shorter, I think I’ll avoid it and hope that the Bluray includes the Roadshow cut. I’d rather, for me, that the version that I saw be the only version.

As I understand it, the intermission is counted in the official running time of the Roadshow version (I didn’t look at the time when the movie ended). So I suppose by “20mis” being cut that it’s really just 10mins being cut. But, still.

Honestly, I have no memory of a cat being in this movie at all.
Am I going to have to watch it again to look for the cat?

I did not see the 70mm but the theater I was at had a screening starting at 11 on New Years Eve. Sucks to be those employees.

I’m trying to think of a single actor in this movie whose character didn’t end up dead or dying and none come to mind.

The cat was an orange tabby and was in the flashback scenes when the gang arrived at the haberdashery. I just assumed it ran off and found a hiding place when all hell broke loose.

I’m sure they volunteered to work. When I had “dealing with public” jobs I’d always volunteer on holidays. Double time!

Yeah, I was kidding about the fate of the cat being a critical thing to learn.

That said, it was awfully prominently displayed in its scene so, since at that point we know there seems to be no cat later in the day I assumed it was going to be part of the carnage to come.

I had a dream about Jennifer Jason Leigh,
I was running and she was chasing me.

I saw this yesterday. It was like a gross cowboy version of an Agatha Christie country house murder, except everyone dies at the end. While I was watching, I felt like the long scenes following the stagecoach through the snowy scenery were LONG, but I wish they’d been longer. Was it shot in Wyoming, does anyone know?

Can Sam Jackson not do any other voice? He sounded exactly the same as Nick Fury, which was distracting and incongruous.

About 90% of the theater patrons (in Santa Clara CA) were youngish men. Are most of the posters in this thread men too? Is Tarantino just a director of films preferred by men?

My wife enjoys Tarantino, and she liked Kill Bill before I saw any of his films. The showing I was at was maybe a couple dozen people, but seemed to be many couples, various ethnicities.
And apparently it was filmed in San Miguel County, Colorado.

So i assume neither O.B. nor the general count as one of the hatefuls?

1. The Bounty Hunter
  2. The Hangman
  3. The Prisoner
  4. The Sheriff
  5. The Mexican
  6. The Little Man (Oswaldo)
  7. The Cow Punch (Joe Gage)
  8. The Confederate

You forgot the Channing Tatum.

I’m assuming by these credits he wasn’t considered one of the eight. And he was only in the film for 10-15 minutes

Shouldn’t Jennifer Jason Leigh be in there over the Confederate General?

She’s the prisoner…

It’s like And Then There Were None, only everybody’s a killer!

D’oh!

My memory is going. I know they told us, but who poisoned the coffee? Joe Gage or The hangman?

Gage (Michael Madsen) confessed.

I’m a huge Tarantino fangirl, ever since Pulp Fiction. I didn’t see Reservoir Dogs until after PF, but if I’d seen it first, I’d have been a huge Tarantino fangirl, ever since Reservoir Dogs. I’m not a girly-girl though. I’d be 1000 times more likely to go see something like The Raid than a romcom. I saw Fight Club by myself then took my husband when he got home from a business trip.

There were a lot of women in the screening of H8 I went to. There several guys in the front row, 7-8, with me who never came back after intermission. I showered, so either they didn’t like the movie or found being up front too intense.