The Health Benefits of Circumcision: The "Naturalistic Fallacy" gets the boot.

On the other hand:

Van Howe RS. Human papillomavirus and circumcision: a meta-analysis. Journal of Infection. 54(5):490-6, 2007 May.

It appears that the link between circumcision and HPV infection is far from settled.

bolding mine.

Does that mean they checked many genitals, multiple sites on the genitals or that the subject had multiple genitals? :wink:

Does that mean, though, that the male can’t carry the HPV under the foreskin without actually becoming infected himself?

Much more convincing than the OP.

Here’s the question kinda turned on it’s head. Leaving out the non-quantifiable stuff, like the (IMO specious) argument that neonatal male circumcision negatively impacts the male’s sexual experience later in life, and the naturalistic objections (the OP actually does have a good argument here, we as a species do all kinds of things that aren’t “natural” because we believe that they are to our benefit) are there any health benefits associated with NOT circumcising newborn males?

When I have kids, I am going to choose whichever option is the most cutting-edge.

Boooooooooo.

:stuck_out_tongue:

http://www.cirp.org/library/complications/ – This is an anti-circ site, but all links seem to be from medical journals. Case reports included:
Ablation of the penis
Adhesions
Amputation of the penis
Reactions to anesthesia
Apnea
Bleeding and Hemorrhages
Buried, Concealed, and Hidden Penis
Circulatory Complications (including gangrene)
Injuries from the clamps or Plastibell
Death
Denudation of the penile shaft
Infection
Keloids

I’ll stop there. A circumcision isn’t without risks, like any medical procedure that involves the removal of a part of the body.

From http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9D03E0D7133CF931A35750C0A96F958260

That wasn’t exactly my question. Of course there are risks to any surgical procedure, I was asking if there were any health benefits to having a foreskin, beyond the fact that there is no way to have complications from a surgery you didn’t have.

Non sequitir is not Latin for “I don’t have a freaking clue.”

From Drain Bead’s quote:

So if I’d been circumcised as an infant, my risk of developing penile cancer would go from a horrifying 0.0009% all the way to a nice reassuring 0.0003%? I can’t imagine what my parents were thinking of. I’d also be astonished to learn that my lifestyle carried a mere 0.0009% risk of, say, some other form of cancer, or heart disease, all of which I could be doing something about by eating less and better, and exercising more - and I’ll lay a little spare change that exactly the same is true of ambushed.
It’s interesting that ambushed should believe that uncircumcised men experience less sexual pleasure because the foreskin prevents stimulation of the glans. As the owner of an intact foreskin, I’m pleased to report that it’s retractable, and some women appear happy to retract it as part of foreplay. :slight_smile:

You joke, but that appears to be the crux of the matter. Studies finding a link between circumcision and HPV apparently tend to have only checked the “glans, coronal sulcus and, for uncircumcised men, the prepuce.” When studies include other sites, such as the shaft and scrotum, no differences are found in HPV based on circumcision status.

I don’t know. I’m not at all an expert on HPV and circumcision. I was just interested, since most of your cites were from non-medical sources, to search the recent literature and see if this was as resolved as you made it appear to be. I would say it is not.

Now that we’re in the pit, I don’t see any reason why those of us with foreskins shouldn’t just wave the stinky, offensive, unhygenic and highly dangerous appendages at the OP.

I never claimed that it was resolved, just that there were articles that appear to show benefits to getting the tallywacker snipped. I don’t have a dog in this fight. There are important things going on in the world that I could get worked up about and the decision about whether someone wants their son to get cut ranks right up in the top, oh, 5 billion.

My reasons for getting my son circed were:

1. I’m cut. Sons will see their dad naked at some point and, besides noticing the size and hair difference, will wonder, “Why does daddy’s thing look like a snail with a helmet and mine looks like a snake in a turtleneck?”
  2. Most of the kids I grew up with were cut, around 95% or more. When you had to take a shower after gym in high school there are a lot of swinging dicks around. The uncut guy was the odd man out. One kid was laughed at. Same thing in the Army, except it was more like 80% of the guys were cut.
  3. Familiarity for my wife. She had never been involved with an uncut guy and had only seen pictures so she didn’t want to be working on unfamiliar anatomy when it came to…
  4. Cleanliness. I hated changing diapers and wiping up. The thought of having to routinely pull back the foreskin to make sure he wasn’t collecting headcheese just grossed me out. My wife also thought it was gross. Plus my son had intestinal problems that would cause explosive diarrhea that covered everything in his diaper with crap. I’m glad that I didn’t have to routinely clean up under the folds.
    a. Teen cleanliness. I know that when I was a teen that showering was not a number one priority. Greasy hair, oily skin, dirty fingernails: yup I had them all. I notice that my 15 year old is trying to carry on the family tradition. If he hadn’t been clipped, god only knows what would be growing down there. Hey, I’m sure that if I wasn’t circed that the foreskin would have been pulled back plenty of times when Rosy Palm and her five daughters were going to work, but I doubt that it would have happened much for regularly scheduled maintenance.

Look, if you’re not cut and are happy then great. Hold your foreskin high and say, “I’m proud of my prepuce.” If you’re cut and happy, good for you. Wave your wang with joy (or wave your wang at Joy). If you are not happy with the current foreskin situation, consult your urologist and maybe they can help you to learn to love your schlong again.

Me? I’m happy with what I got and my wife seems to enjoy it, too.

I’m not all that concered about what other people do with their johnsons. It’s more to do with what people do with scientific findings. That’s where I get interested.

Just FYI, I was cut, but I decided that my sons wouldn’t be. It isn’t a big deal. None of the list of concerns you gave have been any kind of issue at all. But hey, that’s your call and it’s great. I have no penis agenda, just a science one. I’d hate for people to be misinformed.

I don’t think that’s actually a concern - the foreskin isn’t usually retractable until the child is plenty old enough to be able to take responsibility for the washing himself.

You’re right. More people need to study [del]penises[/del] [del]penii[/del] schlongs. Ladies, we need your help! We need you to carefully study and examine them and how they respond to various forms of stimuli. OK, guys. Let’s line up for short arm inspection.

So now that the hysteria has deflated out of this thread some … why is it that this subject excites so many so? Why do people become so rigid in their thinking re circumcision? Is it just that when it concerns penises guys always want the issue to appear larger than it is?

Okay. Bad attempts at humor aside, why do people care so much about this? Really.

It isn’t hard to see why this issue gets inflated out of all purportion. The thrust of the argument would be the friction on display is the result of the pounding of personal against societal and religious norms.

[Sorry. :wink: ]

Of the many commonly-offered reasons for circumcision, this one has always made the least sense to me. First of all I have no memory of ever seeing my father’s penis, nor ever wanting to, nor do I feel the faintest regret over having been deprived of the sight. Secondly, it’s another one of those instances where parents seem to become paralyzed with fear over something (“b…b…but what will we tell the CHILDREN when they ASK?”) that your average kid probably won’t give two thoughts about, and will completely take in stride—while ironically, the adults are the ones anxiously biting their nails and obsessing over it.

(Full disclosure: cut, never missed it; no kids, glad I won’t have to face what is evidently one of the most controversial and difficult moral dilemmas in the history of parenting)

I remember being about 5 and going to the ball game with my dad. We were standing at the trough peeing and I saw what to my mind was a penis the size of a Louisville slugger. There were alos occasions where I would walk into the bathroom as he was getting out of the shower or changing into swim trunks at the public pool. And the same kind of things happened with my son when he was little. Ask any dad and he will tell you that it is common.

Those are the times that lead to questions about why daddy has hair, when will he get it and so on. Little boys want to be just like dad (at least until they become teens when they want to believe that they have nothing in common with their folks). Explaining to your son why you are cut and he isn’t won’t be too difficult. I feel sorry for a guy with a Prince Albert!