The "Historic Winter Invasion" for the South

The water people and utility people who are out at all hours fixing this shit (which they didn’t break) in the most abysmal weather are incredible! Even in ordinary times, I’m amazed at how quickly and competently the crews get to work.

Yes, I’m sure people have repair-worker counter-examples… don’t need to go there at the moment. Save your wrath for the people at the top.

The folks here have done a wonderful job. The utility company is keeping everyone timely informed. I’ve never had an issue with them when the city has faced a disaster. We are still under a boil water alert until they can get all the lines fixed and test the water. But we have water.

:cat2: I let the cats out today. They were spooked at the sight of all the snow but eventually wandered out into the yard. The snow is melting pretty quickly. The more adventurous one has gone off somewhere. The other two are hanging out on the porch. I fed them canned salmon last night to celebrate them being very good kitties. The whole thing worked out so much better than I had anticipated. Temps will stay above freezing for the foreseeable future so it’s all good. / :cat2:

My pipes finally thawed out last night. So laundry and dishes are finally done. Blessed shower was taken.

StG

Good to hear. We are still under the boil water alert so no laundry or dishes for me. I ordered some groceries Sunday and I’m finally getting my Kroger pickup tomorrow (this was the first time I couldn’t get a next day spot) which is great because I’m out of fresh everything. I’m hoping my store is one that actually has a lot of stock. I’ve been hearing horror stories.

Yaay! So how many days total were you left out of civilization?

It was 9 days. Nine days too long.

StG

We have 16 houses on my street here in SE Texas. Ten houses had at least one burst pipe, four had no breaks, and we don’t know about the other two.

Early on, the city water system started losing pressure, and they asked people not to drip pipes so the fire hydrants could have some residual pressure. I turned off the water at the meter and opened all the faucets, and left it off for four and a half days, so I was one of the lucky four without a water break.

We also lost our city supplied natural gas for a time when the pressure dropped so low it tripped the fail-safe regulator (which I never knew existed) on the meter. The city came out and reset it the first time ( my wife wouldn’t let me, though it’s fairly simple Reset a Natural Gas Regulator - YouTube), but I reset it for a neighbor when his went out the next day.