The History Channel errors

THC is, IMO, notorious for broadcasting factual errors. Why don’t we list them?

This one isn’t a factual error per se; but a grammatical one:

There was a supernova in China? :eek:

And of course, there’s their claim that ‘doozy’ originated from the Duesenburg automobile.

Wow, nitpick much?

I doubt that anyone who understood the concepts of “man”, “witness” and “Supernova” would seriously have the same interpretation of that sentence as you did.

Wow, miss the point much?

That’s just what prompted the thread. THC makes a lot of factual erros. (I really should have put that in the OP. Oh, wait. I did.) This thread is meant for us to enumerate them.

Wait, there’s not been a supernova visible to Earth in the past 150,000 (or so) years? Not one?

ETA - Prior to the one in China, obviously.

Last time i checked the US does not have a committee for the English language. Not unlike France who actually does. So when you really think about it there is no such thing has correct official grammar. Just “rules” that are more accepted then others. The purpose of language is to convey information. Everyone who heard that phrase understood what it meant. Thus the goal of saying it has been met.

Well, the quote did say “witnessed by man.” But even then, of course, one could’ve been witnessed in prehistoric times. I guess it should’ve been “first supernova ever recorded by man.”

Where are we supposed to get these quotes from? Your quote is unsourced. Are we supposed to watch the channel and transcribe?

The origin of doozy is still much disputed, BTW. It was probably self-proclaimed word expert and poet John Ciardi that people cite when they refer to the origin from the car. It was in print earlier, true…

… but so were the Duesenberg brothers.

http://www.alphadictionary.com/goodword/word/doozy

It’s pretty sure that the word gained traction in the language from the car ads that said, it’s a Duesie," no matter the ultimate origin (which is probably from “it’s a daisy.”)

Besides, we only have your claim that THC said the word originated, rather than was popularized, by the car. Can you point us to an exact quote?

If you’re going to nitpick others, you have to be exacter than exact yourself.

I included the ungrammatical sentence because I thought it was funny. That’s not what this thread is supposed to be about. It’s about factual errors that THC has made; not nitpicks.

Doozy: From your link, one person claimed to have found a cite from the 1890s. Clearly it did not, as THC claimed, originate with the car.

But again, this thread is supposed to be for enumerating factual errors on THC. I’ve caught several, but I can’t remember them right now. I was hoping some would pop up in the thread.

My problem is that I can’t remember if I’m watching THC, TLC, or TDC so if I were to complain about the factual errors in a show, it’d probably be the wrong show.

Hints:
If it’s got Hitler, Nazis, or airplanes, it’s THC.
If it’s got large obnoxious men building stuff, it’s TDC.
If it’s got formula programs imitating 8 other channels, it’s TLC.

The one show on THC I remember most for being “What the ???” was a Biblical documentary. The guy’s logic went something like this:

1. A tiny fragment of papyrus has been found that contains the same words as part of passage of a gospel. (Not even a whole verse.) Based on the writing style, this was dated to mid-first century. Therefore the gospels were “contemporary” writings rather than later writings as most scholars believe.

2. Due to the earlier date, the gospels had to actually be 100% true.

3. He then went to the traditional spot where the Sermon on the Mount was given and used the above to “prove” that this in fact was the actual spot that Jesus spoke.

It was a complete and total sham from start to finish. But somehow that qualifies it as “History”.

In the story on the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge that crosses San Francisco Bay, they referred to it as the Oakland Bay Bridge.

In a story about repainting one of the big bridges they said the thickness of the new paint was to be 40 (or so) millimeters when they should have said 40 (or so) mils (numbers approximate due to my failing memory).

Were such a committee formed, I would have to report you to them. Nothing personal.

Per my previous post about that goofy biblical “documentary,” here’s the Wikipedia article on the fragment in question. That’s right folks, the entire New Testament is 100% true because of that tiny bit of papyrus.

Let’s see if my seventh attempt to post works.

Bit of sloppy arithmetic there, too. (Unless you were watching The History Channel from the year 2185, which would be awesome.)

They repeated as fact the myth that the song “Ring Around the Rosie” is about the Black Death.

On an episode that aired last night about the end of the world as predicted by the Mayans they were comparing a variety prophets who predicted the end of the world. They referenced Native American prophecies and said that the Ghost Dance was inspired by some of Black Elk’s visions. According to Black Elk, from Black Elk Speaks he heard about the Ghost Dance and went to check it out. He had nothing to do with the Ghost Dance other than being a witness to it. It was in full swing by the time he got check it out. In fact Wovoka (Jack Wilson) brought the Ghost Dance to the people.

The History Channel once showed a reenactment of a Revolutionary War battle with rifles using percussion caps.

That has to be The Naked Archaeologist. I’ve noticed that he starts with a theory and forces everything he finds to fit, while discarding anything that doesn’t “prove” it. I really wanted to like the show when I first ran across it, but it’s really irritating.

I watched an episode of The Naked Archaeologist. Never again. The show was supposedly intended to establish the cause of death for Herod the Great (IIRC). Most of the show consisted of irrelevant material about his reign, a few brief interviews with doctors about his supposed symptoms, and a lot of cutesy graphics.

From The History Channel–or perhaps History Channel International (supposedly the better one.) When the Normans invaded England, the Saxons were still pagan! Grrr…

I usually enjoy shows on the Earth’s development; the fact that they give Young Earthers hives is just icing on the cake. However, the shows often include phrases like “A supercontinent formed, which was called Pangaea.” As though the Pangaeans named it! Couldn’t the show simply mention who invented the name & when?