The Horror In The Basement

I have to agree, the mole is MUCH scarier. I’m still searching for my brain bleach. I’m sure it’s around here somewhere.

And congrats on the successful de-opossumization of your basement, Hal!

One night, out on the side yard there was a horrific noise.There was a non-stop metal crashing and thrashing about. It was scaring the piss out of me. I got a baseball bat and a flashlight and peered out. The trashcan was moving about on its own. I got the balls up to peer inside and it was the biggest friggin’ 'possum I’d ever seen. Giant angry hissing rat with spiky teeth. I kicked over the trashcan and ran away.

The Horror in the Basement
With apologies to Robert E. Howard

Conan eased his broadsword from the sheath. The creature resembled a giant rat. Foam dripped from the multitudinous teeth onto the strange metal bars upon which it perched.
The Giant Cimmerian slowly took the magic fruit stolen from the Wizard and showed it to the monster. A forked tongue caressed the hairy lips. Conan mimed chewing the fruit. “Good Rat. Cookie!”
The creature remained still. Tiny eyes glared at the Barabrian.
Conan swung the might broadsword quickly. For any other creature it would be a killing blow, easily decapitating a bull. The creature merely moved aside, but in doing so lost it’s footing on the strange metal, and fell into the trap.
Conan quickly closed the cardboard…strange metal and lugged the trap to the Temple of Set. He place it on the porch, rang the doorbell and ran like hell.

My rough grr tough (then 19 year old) nephew used to have his bedroom in my basement. One warm evening all was quiet…
Until I heard the most ungawdly screech from the basement. I thought one of the cats went through the ringer or something. It was like a tweener girl on crack kissing Zac Effron.
Ran downstairs - a vole was stuck in the casement window dugout area. My nephew was on the other side of the basement, hunched on the couch.
It’s been a great tale ever since :slight_smile:

Hee hee hee hee hee!

Hal, I am SO happy that you merely trapped him; and took him just far enough away, in case his Mama is looking for him. You rock, absolutely.

FWIW, a couple years ago my roommate discovered a baby possum had nested in her underwear drawer… :eek: He was so cute and fluffy, we fell in love. We called him, yes, Blossom Possum. But we had to move away shortly thereafter. Adieu, Blossom.

Now I’m jealous. I got nothing but mice, though I have trapped, oh, about 10 so far in the garage. But I need a bigger trap for the full-figured mouse I’ve seen running along the baseboard.

:smiley:

Good writing, great picture, happy ending-- I give it a ten and two snaps up.

A few weeks ago I got up and found one in my recycle-bin. It was a nasty looking creature and seemed quite put out that I was bothering him.

It does look like it might be somewhat inclined to the evil side of things. I would not be at all surprised if you told me that right after you took the photo, it spoke, saying “What the fuck do you want? Meatsack.”

You think you’ve got problems? :wink:

im in ur basement eatin ur applez.

A voice in the back of my head screamed, “Don’t click it! Don’t click it! It’ll be a big, ugly snake! Don’tclickintdon’tclickitdon…!” But I clicked it anyway. It wasn’t a snake. I was so relieved. I won’t have nightmares of snakes in my basement tonight. I don’t even have a basement. But I have snakes. Bull snakes. Not under my house, but at my neighbor’s house a couple of miles away. Too close for comfort.

I was transfixed less by the possum than by the basement. Hal and I have the exact same basement – and that, my friends, is the true horror here.

OMG! What a cute little…thing? :confused: WTH is that?

That’s an Australian* possum, not to be confused with the North American opossum. They’re a bit cuter.

Actually this one was in New Zealand, where they are an introduced species. And a pest, by all accounts.

His ears match the drapes! Awww!

Glad you trapped the baby 'possum, Hal. He’s what we call “so ugly it’s cute!”

Admit it Rebo, you were thinkin’ Sunday Dinner weren’t ya? :smiley:

Last night, I thought there was going to be a Chapter 3.

“Ka-clannnng!”, came from our basement once again. However, I spent an hour in there inspecting every bit of the place with a flashlight, and kicking at every box and package down there. Nothing. Either we had a visitor who remained very quiet and still during my inspection, or a pole picked the wrong time to innocently fall against a pipe.

Did you find out how it got inside in the first place?

What th-- It’s got a penis for a nose! Ew!