The human magnetic field. Do some people have more magnetic properties than others?

I’ve noticed that I can not wear analogue watches. After a few days they stop running. After sending it back and getting brand new ones, and having the same things happen, I began to wonder. Is there something about my magnetic field that is doing this to the watches…?

For an interesting article on human magneticism see here . Kinda cool, I’m just unsure of the science behind it.

My father has the same problem with watches. He’s had dozens over the years, but none of them every keep accurate time when he wears them.

Humans don’t have magnetic fields. That article you linked to is a hoax (well, the article might be genuine, but it’s genuinely about a hoax).

Maybe your dad’s just rough on watches.

Got a cite for that Curt? Not that I don’t believe you, just would like to see a cite…

Possibly a stupid question, but why would a very weak magnetic field ruin an analogue watch?

Shade - this is exactly my question. Why would a very weak magnetic field ruin an anologue watch…

Wait…I’m not thinking of the right type of watch…I meant digital analogue watch…Doh! :smack:

Humans have a magnetic field. Here’s an interesting (haha, as if) article on the changes in it during bowel movement.

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/lsp/abstracts/bradshaw-ieee-embs-1997.htm

This one is slightly more interesting because it allows you to imagine having Luke Skywalkeresque powers:

(About the magnetic field in someones palm increasing during mystic ninja stuff… well, Qi)

From Stoneburg’s second link:

You know, I’m more than willing to defend Qi as a global abstraction type of concept. I do not consider it pure bunk, as it has a certain usefulness. However, saying that " large bio-magnetic field strength might be originated from ‘Qi’" is like saying that “large bio-magnetic field strength might be originated from ‘intelligence’.” If their data is accurate, it is an interesting observation, unfortunately their conclusion is rather un-scientific, IMO.

Please know something about a subject before you post, Curt.

Levitating Frogs

OK, a watch with electronics in makes magnetics a better bet. Never mind.

Still, even the guys talking about Qi were only reporting 0.001 Gauss - isn’t that like a fraction of even the earth’s magnetic field?

Oh, no doubt–the magnetic/electric field of a human body is pathetically feeble.

It does exist. Is it responsible for such watch damage? Who knows.

Well, everything is “magnetic” to one degree or another, in that no material has a permeability of 0. (I believe bismuth has the lowest permeability of any material, with a value slightly less than that of air.) Wasn’t there a thread recently about the properties of diamagnetic and paramagnetic materials?

Probably not.

For a magnetic field to be strong enough to damage a watch, it has to be much stronger than the Earth’s field… which means that it would be easily detected with a compass.

If your watches tend to stop, there could be many explanations. But if a compass goes crazy when you wave your wrist near it, THAT would be interesting!

Far more likely to be breaking the watch is what you’re doing while you are wearing it. Suggesting it’s being broken by your magnetic field is kind of like wondering if your heartbeat is shaking it to pieces.

The frog isn’t levitating because it has a magnetic field - it’s levitating because the molecules that make it up are diamagnetic (a different phenomenon).

AFAIK, the human body does not have a magnetic field.

Slight Hijack, A show like Ripleys had a Japanese famil that has so much magnetism in their bodies, irons, forks and other metal objects stuck to the chest and back of there bodies.

I don’t know how Unique this is, but it should give a resounding “Yes” to the basic question.

Meeko- I saw that. Some of that stuff was glass, aluminum, etc and those objects weren’t sticking due to magnetism. It’s like hanging a spoon off of your nose - tackiness of the skin and a slight incline and the stuff doesn’t slide off.

Heck take a penny, breath on it, and stick it to your forehead. It’s got nothing to do with magnetism.

Meeko The stuff you describe is exactly the stuff the link in the OP is describing (and later debunked). Eleusis is right - any who can fog a mirror can do that.