The human mind is very weird

This is about as mundane and pointless as it gets, but:

I’m watching the (NFL) game while posting in various threads. During a commercial, I got up to go to the bathroom, and as I was doing so, I suddenly started singing:

“Yippee kai ay and a yo ho ho,
We’re sailing along on high.
Just Molly and me
O’er the lone prairie
In our wagon way up in the sky.”

I had no idea why I sang it. I had no idea where it came from. I had no idea what it meant. After some googling, I found that (with a few minor differences) it was from a cartoon called “The Saga of Windwagon Smith,” which appeared on Walt Disney’s Wonderful World of Color in 1961, when I was a tot.

So I must have seen it some 54 years ago. To the best of my knowledge, I have never heard, seen, or thought about it since then.

That’s all.

lol

sometimes i like to talk like scooby doo

Not sure if this is true or not but I have heard that an experience may trigger a set of feeling and emotions that very closely match a feeling you may have had say 54 years ago, similar to tasting something. If this occurs it can cause a sudden recall of memories. It may have been something in the football game or just the way your day was going. I doubt you will ever figure it out.

I’ve told this story before:

One time I had a dream, I was driving around looking for an old (elementary) school of mine. In the dream, I can remember my mother telling me it was on “such-n-such” street.

When I woke up, for some reason that dream stuck with me. So for grins, I looked up that old school of mine. Sure enough, it was on the same road that I dreamed about.

No way in hell I could have recalled the street name before that. Hell, I was too young to even care what street names were at that age. It boggles my mind how I was able to recall it in my dream.

Some years back, when I was about to get on my motorcycle and ride home from work, I smelled a combination of gasoline (from “tickling” my Triumphs Amal carburetors) and dog shit wafting in from the back yard of a nearby house. I was instantly aware of a deep feeling of happiness and contentment. A true WTF moment in the making, yeah? Hours later I realized that those smells had brought back memories of being a kid at my uncle Red’s house in South Carolina, playing army with my cousins. They had dogs, who shit all over, and he had an old leaky Ford that always smelled “gassy”. Those times were sublimely happy and I suppose the smell triggered my response. It may not make sense to some, but there you go.

A flashback to a football concussion?

I have been trying to recall a song for the past month from the '70s with no success. Yesterday morning, I wake up, the song is playing in my head.

“The human mind is very weird” needs no discussion, or examples, really. Still, fun stories.

Why did your mind make you post that? :wink:

What is “mind?”
No matter.
What is “matter?”
NM.

Yep. The other day I had “Zip! Zam! Zowee-am, Ker-{something}” stuck in my head; I knew it was some super-hero cartoon thingie but couldn’t recall what; came to SDMB to ask and it was identified as “Super 6”, which I last saw in the late 1960s as a 3rd or 4th grader.

Had a similar experience recently. Walking one of our dogs on a trail in a local park, I looked down and the way some leaves moved as my feet kicked them immediately stirred a strong but vague memory. At first all I could recall was a good feeling related to something small and shiny, but by the time we were driving home, I remembered enough to Google up these:

1971 was a long time ago, and I have NO idea what leaves scattering has to do with Microbots toys, but the association was strong and immediate…it just took a while to identify the details.

I was driving home from work last week when a theme song started playing in my head. It was from The Banana Splits, A Sid and Marty Kroft TV show that went off the air in 1970. Whatever song that was playing on the radio must have been similar enough that it fired up the memory.

A country song I used to listen to years ago has been suddenly playing in my mind repeatedly over the past few weeks. I finally figured out that it’s because the opening is “When January freezes/Let me melt the cold”, and every time I think “damn it’s January and it’s freezing,” the song starts playing. By the time I actually notice it, it’s up to the chorus, which has nothing to do with the weather.

I’ve read that smells triggering old memories is well known to head doctors.

Bob Marley’s “Buffalo Soldier”? That always reminds me of the Banana Splits theme song.

I’ll say it again, as a PSA: [URL="YouTube"LaQuinta Hotels has a theme song that is so similar to the Banana Splits, it borders on plagiarism.*

*Slight to extreme exaggeration.

Messed that up royally. Try this:

Sounds like an entry for

Things inexplicably remembered from childhood - Miscellaneous and Personal Stuff I Must Share - Straight Dope Message Board :slight_smile:

I can’t for the life of me remember what song was playing at the time, but it was a powerful trigger.

Now you’ve powerfully triggered me on “The Banana Splits”, the coolest show ever when I was that age. Haven’t thought about it in decades.