The Hunt for Rant October---minirant time!

I was snacking on a selection of things from the Whole Foods olive bar. In this selection were several slices of marinated tomato (yum!). I picked up one of the delicious-looking pieces, and bit into it…

It was damn brine-soaked, mushy bell pepper chunk. :mad:

I need to do a mini-pitting/ranting of our member Flyer who had some of the following choice things to say about being a telephone survey operator over in MPSIMS…

Well fuck me sideways for being stupid enough to think that a simple instruction would be enough to get you to stop calling me. I must be pretty dumb to think it could be as easy as saying, “Stop calling me,” to get you to stop calling me.

Oh wow, so if I’m actually smart enough to ask you what the magic words are to get you to quit calling, you’ll dodge the question and badger me some more? So I have to be a fucking mind reader now in order to get you to stop hounding me?

How do you sleep at night?

My best friend is under a LOT of stress right now and needed a babysitter for 4 hours today. I volunteered so she wouldn’t have to explain to her recovering heroin-addict sister why she wasn’t comfortable with said sister and sister’s new boyfriend caring for the children. Instead she could just say, “Thanks guys, but the kids have a playdate planned already!”

So anyway, the littlest one is just about two. They have been potty training him, and reporting great success - he doesn’t wear diapers during the day at all anymore. During the first three hours at my house, he peed in his pants (and on my floor) three times. Then he crapped [del]his pants[/del] my daughter’s pants, which he was wearing after peeing on two sets of his own clothes and one set of hers. He never gave any indication he needed to go - and you better believe I was hovering nearby looking for such by the third time!

When my friend came to pick him up, she mentioned that the doctor had diagnosed him with a UTI yesterday, but they were waiting to see if it cleared up without antibiotics.

NOT COOL, FRIEND!

I’m ranting here because today she was diagnosed with an ulcer, in addition to other significant stress-related health problems she already had, and she’s clearly at the end of her rope. So I’m not going to chew her out.

I am, however, not going to babysit him for at least six months unless he wears a diaper the whole time. If she’s worried that will set him back with the potty training, she will need to find other care.

Or alternatively, “What’s wrong with you? Are you a sociopath?”

I donated to a local homeless charity once, and got myself on their mailing list forever. I asked repeatedly to be taken off the mailing list, but they won’t do it. The first donation from me is also the last because of this policy (the Mustard Seed, for any Calgarians reading). I understand why they won’t take me off the mailing list, but it is counter-productive to their ends - instead of maybe getting another donation from me some day, they will definitely get nothing, and I tell everyone I know about their policies.

I went to the MedCheck tonight because the pain hadn’t eased up at all; the cat lightly brushed up against my left foot and I almost kicked her from the pain.

Turns out, not only did I break my fourth toe, but it’s displaced, so now I have to go to the orthopedist. I’m such a clumsy idiot sometimes. Grrrr.

I"m angry about how unfair life is. My mom’s in the psych ward, I think my parents will break up soon, and I’m 99% sure that a very nice online friend of mine has committed suicide tonight. How am I going to get to sleep tonight…?

StrawberryDaquiri, thanks for not taking my response badly. I understand your mother’s concern about carrying something home to your Dad. I can tell you’re a loving and caring daughter, I just tend to overempathize with a cancer wife-it’s a horrible place to be. And for your mother to have taken care of her mother with ALZ–she may be tough, but it’s still very hard.

My husband died 18 mos. after the Dx, but we knew he would, he presented as terminal, and we both knew it was simply a matter of time. I have warm warm wishes and hope for your Father, and for you, and your mother.

Quite well, actually. Thanks for asking. :slight_smile:

On a more serious note, I was unemployed (other than an occasional odd job) for quite a while. Things like that tend to change a person’s priorities.

In addition, I used to work the Service Desk at Walmart. I dealt with a lot of angry people, and I stopped taking things personally a long time ago.

Perhaps sign spinning? Begging on street corners? “Selling it” at truck stops? or even robbery if you choose very unpopular companies like PG&E?

All of these would give you greater respect, methinks.

:mad::mad::mad:I found a box of kittens on my front porch tonight. 7 of them, probably only 6 weeks old. I’m totally ticked off about this. Not only do I not have the mama, who I would have had fixed and returned to the owner, I don’t use my front door because I’m lazy and using that door requires walking up a steep flight of stairs with stuff in my hands.

If my cats hadn’t been too busy looking out the window and meowing at the box when I served up dinner, I might not have noticed the box until the weekend.

Sends lots of hate filled thoughts at the jerk who did this. I’m glad that he or she didn’t just dump the very cute kittens, but I’m really mad that whoever did it didn’t call me or leave a note. The poor mama will probably have a litter of Christmas kittens, and those almost never have a happy ending.

Lots of bad words and :mad::mad:

My very mini rant…

I want to go to the haunted houses thing this weekend. I had such fun when I went years ago but found no one willing to come until now, when I can drag Sweetie along. The thing is, they’ve upped the price. One ticket is the same as paying for the two of us to go to the movies, with snacks!

Ok, it would be a fun evening. Six houses, you can go through them all and get to go through your favourite a second time. They also have games and stuff, hell even a cash bar. I just can’t get over the almost doubling in price, even if it has been a few years since the last time I went (approx four). Plus word is the lines are long so it’s better to go for the express pass which is of course extra.

I’m thinking of not going now, but damnit I still want to. Maybe I’m too much of a cheapskate, but that’s an expensive evening!

<<sigh>> I want a kitten. No, two. Two are better than one, yes?

Unfortunately I’m on the other side of the country.

Yes, two are better than one. They will pounce on each other rather than your toes while you are trying to sleep. Maybe…or maybe you will get gang pounced at 3 am :slight_smile:

I can’t send you my kittens, but I could probably help you find a rescue group in your area…

I’d love to have a kitten, or two, but Psycho Kitty would have a fit. Since she’s 12, I think her having a fit is probably not a good idea.

:frowning:

The people in the region have been conditioned to think of your neighborhood (and specifically, your house) as the safe haven of homeless critters, where they can dump their unwanted kittehs (and now, apparently puppies) with a “clear conscience.”

I’m afraid you’re going to have to bring Tony with you to Texas, or he’s going to find himself completely overwhelmed trying to fill your shoes.

Or, in the next five weeks, cultivate a friendship with someone in animal control whom you can arrange to come out every couple of days after you’ve left, and collect them.

Again, :frowning:

Tell Sweetie if he pays for it, he’s off the hook next Valentine’s Day…

Uhhh, Sweetie IS your SO, right?

No kittens for you! Honestly, I will never adopt a kitten or puppy again. They are cute and playful and cute and just wonderful, but I just don’t have time for them. Your PK is your first responsibility. I get my kitten/puppy fix while fostering and at adoptions.

But…as long as I have your attention…Bill says that he wants a dog. An adult dog, from a rescue. I want a dog as well, but I want a couch potato. I’m thinking a Basset hound or an English Bulldog. If we get a dog, he/she will have to spend 4 hours a day inside until one of us goes home at lunch and then another 4 hours inside until I get home.

Do you think I’ve got the right idea about the breed? I don’t have a dog now because I’m gone for 10-12 hours a day, so it just wouldn’t be fair. The last time I had a dog, I also had neighbors who would let her in and out, but Bill doesn’t even know his neighbor’s first names.

Damn you estate agents, if you’re going to put a For Sale sign up outside a house, how about then actually putting the details of the house on your website at around about the same time, hmm? I walked by your property Tuesday, have checked your website daily since then, and it’s still not up. Guess what, by the time you get around to adding the listing, people will have forgotten to keep checking your site!

Seriously, don’t start advertising unless you’re actually ready to sell.

(yeah yeah, I know, I’m just window-shopping and in no position to buy, but I’m a nosey bitch and want to know what I can afford if I win the lottery one of these days!)

Greyhounds love to run. However, retired racers are pretty much conditioned to spending time in their cages until they are exercised…and they are perfectly happy being couch potatoes until it’s time for walks and play. They are very large dogs, though. Most of them are quite good natured, because the ones that aren’t are culled. You can usually find a group that will have meet and greets for potential greyhound adopters.

I’m sorry to hear of your troubles, and hope that you got some sleep and that things begin to improve for you.