The Hunt for Rant October---minirant time!

Well, I can’t find the mini-rants thread, and I’ve been waiting way too long, so here goes:

Dammit! I hate, hate having computer trouble in front of my students. It’s soo damned embarrassing. And the new damn fancy electronic blackboards are supposed to be able to handle a goddamned normal DVD! I wasn’t doing anything excotic. FUCK.

Opening day duck hunting season up here. Our property is in the middle of salt water and freshwater marshes. Sounds like a war. And, my neighbor (who owns all the land around us but doesn’t live here) cruised in at 6am, setting the driveway alarm off. (we like him and gave him permission to access his land via our drive).
Oh, and my dogs take exception. So every time there’s a barrage of gunfire they go berserk and bark like lunatics.
I love fall…except for this.

I was petting my dog this weekend and she was startled by her brother, jumped up and cracked her head right into the bridge of my nose. I somehow managed to avoid the black eyes but I’ve had a headache for 2 days now. Pain relievers help but only for a couple hours at a time. I’ve been trying to work for 90 mins and reading the screen is killing me. Ugh!

Also we need an October reference in the thread title, bad form Septima

☼$├¿USB Keyboard!

My X had a cap knocked off her front tooth by our dog the same way…

I pit the everloving hell out of myself. I left the door from the garage to the backyard at my g/f’s open last night after I got done grilling. She let the cat into the garage before bed, and he got out. He was out all night, and hadn’t come back by the time she went to work this morning.

She says it’s not my fault, because I had both hands full and my dog was behind me when I came in…but while we were eating I even reminded myself out loud that I needed to go pick up the pan/seasonings/stuff outside. Which I failed to do. Which resulted in the open door not being discovered until it was too late.

She left the back door open when she went to work, called animal control and Home Again. I put an ad on Craigslist. Cat doesn’t have a collar, but he’s chipped, so if someone picks him up and takes him in she should be contacted.

Here’s hoping he comes home today because he’s hungry and she finds him curled up on her bed when she gets home. I feel horrible. He’s an awesome cat.

Patient calls to schedule an appointment with an insurance we aren’t contracted with. He states that he is an MD and his insurance pays well and he intimates my girls into saying we would bill it and bill him for the balance. I google his name, find out he is a psychiatrist and call his office from my cell. “Yes, I’d like to make an appointment, do you bill ------Insurance?”
“No”, his receptionist replies, “We do not bill any insurance. Cash only”.

I’ve reported both mini rant threads for merging.

I’ve ‘reported’ both mini rant threads for possible merging.

Date pits. In the garbage disposal.

I don’t know what it is about date pits, but they jam up a disposal something fierce. I spent a half an hour turning the blades by hand, then getting the disposal running again, letting it run, and run, and run to try and loosen the blockage, only to have it jam up again the instant I let the motor stop.

Fast forward to the evening, I have the disposal removed and on my workbench, jabbing at it with an awl like some demented dentist. Removed a half dozen pumpkin-seed sized pieces of date pit that were causing all the problems.

On the plus side, I didn’t have to buy a new disposal.

Just called my oil company to schedule an annual inspection and cleaning for my furnace. (Bought through them in 2008) I’m retired and home every day, if need be.

Earliest appointment? Oct 23, more than three weeks away. WTF? I shudder to think about working people only home on weekends.

Sometimes a few handfuls of ice cubes will unjam a disposal. Works on the darndest things, too! May not work for date pits, though.

…the October Revolution?

I somehow acquired the flu even before it arrived here in Minnesota and even though I never leave my house. The only possible vector is my husband, and is he sick? Of course not. Three days so far of fevers and terrible body aches (but fortunately no other symptoms) and no sign of it letting up. I’m doing everything I can to avoid going to the clinic and exposing everybody there to the damn thing.

How about Oktoberkvetch?

I like this one

My ex-boss and I like to get together for lunch every once in a while and catch up, just the two of us. We made plans for today. THEN I found out my wife has today off, so the twosome became a trio (I typed “threesome” at first, but… no.).

Which is fine. Ex-boss and Mrs. Chef like each other, and the three-cornered conversation flowed smoothly. It’s just that damn it, sometimes I like to have lunch with my friend.

I did make a remark as we were getting up to leave to the effect of “Well! Lunch with my wife AND my mistress. How continental.” and a woman practically WHIRLED around to get a look at us. Hee hee…

Call your MD if this isn’t better by tomorrow.

I’ve no gift for apologies and certainly wouldn’t claim any expertise, but I’m pretty sure that if you’re apologizing for being a deadbeat dad you shouldn’t mention the $20K you spent on therapy.

To whoever it is who keeps hacking Consumerist.com, fuck off and die in a fire! Twice in the past few months, that site has been compromised and taken down. Currently it’s on a temporary site with no commenting functionality. The comments, most of which are funny and/or insightful, are the main reason I even read the articles.

Who the hell has such a hardon for the site that they keep trying to destroy it? I wish I knew.

If my brain wants to manifest an intense desire to swim in the ocean all day, it probably shouldn’t do it in October. Know your seasons, you confused brain!