the interior

I’ve heard that those on the east and west coasts perceive the interior of our country as a wasteland full of ignorant red necks. I would like to see hat people think of this. I’m not sure if this is something worth debating, but I’ll give it a try.

I’d like to give you an answer, but I’m afraid that I’m not much of a hat person.

I’m looking for a cite, and I’ll put it up if and when I find it.

But.

I constantly hear that the state with the highest percentage of adults with a college degree is…

Colorado!

Well, I was almost right. :smack:

Here’s the Rocky Mountain News article on the 200 census.

Just wanted to trumpet my own digs, I guess. Oh well, I guess number 2 still gets us out of the “ignorant redneck” category.

I think people have a lot of misconceptions and stereotypes about places with which they are not familiar. For example, when I think of Nebraska, I think of a place filled with nothing but endless cornfields. In reality, I know there are cities, but the perception of it being almost a vast farm sticks with me. (Much like Australia sticks in my mind as nothing but “outback.”)

States like West Virginia are barely credited by some people as having running water. But, then again, some in the Midwest think of California as a giant beach, populated only by movie stars, surfers and progressives.