The IRS changed my marital status.

For some reason it went from married with four dependents to single with four.
This cost me over ten percent of my pay which pisses me right off.
How the hell did this happen and how can I fix it?
Btw I am still married.

The IRS doesn’t randomly change anybody’s payroll withholding status. Your employer screwed up. File a new W-4 with them.

“Went from” one to the other* where*?

Was changed to?
I didn’t do it.

The IRS is a very powerful entity that you really don’t want to mess with, and if they say you are single, I suggest you start dating. :smiley:

Trying again: Where is it that you saw this change? In a tax filing or document? That would be the IRS’s responsibility.

On a paycheck? It’s your employer’s doing. Employers deduct what the W-4 on file tells them to deduct. The IRS has nothing to do with the process except to be notified and (very rarely) intervene in exceptionally high deduction claims. Either you gave them a mismarked W-4 (did you recently fill one out or update one as part of an annual process?) or they made a mistake in setting your deductions in the new year.

If they believe that you are not legally married, they would send a letter with a description/justification.

If it is a W-4 issue, then I agree with the above. You can put pretty much anything you want on that, it only affects withholding. In that case, it didn’t “cost” you anything; the money will still come back to you you’ll just have to wait till next ~April, and you’ll miss out on potential interest until then. Change it ASAP.

The IRS has never told me if I was married or not, or if I had children or not. I tell them these things on my tax forms. As others have said, this sounds like your W-4 got screwed up somehow. I don’t believe you have to put the same things on your Form 1090 as are listed on the W-4.

ETA: I agree with thelurkinghorror

If, make that *when *you find your *employer *checked the wrong box, you can also adjust your withholding for the rest of the year to make the total work out right. Just make sure to set it to what it should be before the end of the year.

Also, if it is your 1040, the only way I could think about it is if you are claiming MFJ by common law purposes, when your state isn’t one of the 9 states+DC that recognizes it. IIRC it counts if you move to another state, but it must have been created in one of those. If the IRS (Fed Govt) doesn’t like that, then it might change. Other situations would be if they disallowed you to claim things like Head of Household due to non-qualifying dependents, etc.

Unless Joe needs every nickel, I’d just leave a paycheck or two’s excess on the books and claim it at the end of the year. Trying to “correct” withholdings could lead to bigger problems.

Yuppers … you’re a single parent of four now … the IRS is always correct. Wait until your “ex” starts having to pay child support

Thanks, I will straighten it out Monday.