The IT group here

**Me **(client): We have a problem and we need you to fix our [insert doesn’t work message here]

Vendor IT guy: Yeah, just fill out a ticket on our on-line trouble report system and we will get right to it.

Me: We hired you because you said you could quickly fix our problems and your trouble ticket system is an incomprehensible time stealing mess.

Vendor IT guy: Sorry, can’t work on it without a ticket

Me: I talked it over with my partners and we decided that one of the criteria for hiring the guys we plan to replace you with is that we could call them directly in an emergency.

Vendor IT guy: I will fix the problem and enter the ticket myself then.

Me: Thank you very much

And they thanked me later for my input in improving their trouble ticket system. I actually use it now.

Look, I was confused enough by “FTP drive.” Now what the hell are a “DYNO printer” and “TRIM”?

Open a ticket and we’ll tell you.

It’s right here in my pocket.

Think I figured out TRIM, and I’m assuming he meant “DYMO printer.” If that’s the case, you can close the ticket.

Exactly. We’re not in the business of ripping off customers, we’re in the business of saving lives. If the IT department would rather laugh at us than doing something so simple as creating a shared folder, then they indeed deserve to be fired.

I get requests like this all the time. I don’t laugh at patients and coworkers, I help them. If they don’t know what they’re doing, then I take the extra steps to figure it out and help them understand.

If I instead laughed at them, then I would expect to be fired.

Yes they are a slack lot in IT. Perhaps your ticket ended up with one of the idlers like that amiable but useless guy Bucket?

Exactly. I assumed that a ticket would go “Code Red” or something after a certain amount of time. My guess is that the metrics went to someone then gathered dust. I was amazed that such a large corporation was using such a broken system.

Ah, would that I had the power. My guess is exactly what you said: The system wouldn’t get fixed until someone with power felt the pain. Another way the system was broken was that no one, including my boss (a senior vice president) apparently knew who to complain to, another reason she was worthless.

One of the IT guys eventually screwed up and sent me an e-mail with his phone number in the signature line. I used him as my personal little help desk, daring him to tell me to use IT protocol.

The person in question put her cell phone number in her signature. I called her while she was on her way to work. I told her that I was done with creating tickets and that this problem should have been solved over a year ago and just make it happen. To her credit she was very apologetic and promised me it would be solved today.

We’ll see.

Largish legal firms are pretty good with competent employees, too. Things are usually too time sensitive and frequently have BIG money riding on them for someone who doesn’t know what they’re doing to be dicking around.

I hate to point this out but FTP was a nasty rotting pile of fuzz decades ago :slight_smile:

Your IT department should be fired for allowing you to deploy a new instance.

If you are in a hipaa environment and you are setting up shared FTP you should contact your legal department.

:mad::mad::mad:

You know how you’re patiently waiting in line for your turn at the customer service desk at a physical store, and some angry person rushes to the start of the line and demands to be served immediately because they’re more important than everyone else?

Yeah, yeah. That’s you, buddy. The pushier you get, the less I want to help you. I want to help the nice, patient people first. Now, if you file a ticket and label it with the highest priority, I will go look at it immediately to see if it is actually an emergency, and if it is, I will drop a lower priority ticket to help you. But you do not get to butt in line.

My coworker is currently tied up by people who call her and want their problems fixed right now and will continue calling back multiple times a day. Meanwhile, she doesn’t get a chance to help the nice people who email her requests and wait patiently for a response. Those people who call and want their non-emergency problems fixed immediately go to the top of the Shit List.

Don’t even get me started. What I really want is to access the data from an XML call. But no, they “can’t do that.” Instead they will copy and paste the data into a word document, then FTP it into the shared folder that doesn’t exist, where I can retrieve it and put it somewhere where code I haven’t written yet will turn it back into data.

Yeah, it’s colossally stupid. Several people have dropped the ball on this.

That’s your problem, not BubbaDog’s. If you can’t do the job you were contracted to do, he’ll find somebody who will.

It is always better to tell them what your needs are vs. concatenating random jargon.

IT doesn’t expect you to know all the terms but we can provide a solution if you tell us what task you are trying to complete.

FTP the protocol was broken from the start and it transmits username and passwords in plain text over the network.

If you had said, “We need a place to store documents to share between Joe, Sam and accounting” you would have had less problems.

Using the word FTP and Drive as a phrase is nonsensical and we have to break out the divining rod to figure out what you mean.

It is like to going to mexico and thinking you are speaking Spanish by adding an -a or a -o to the end of English words.

Except that I used the words I was told to use, and the very same person then told me that I was using the wrong words and to start over.

An XML call to what? that is another nonsensical concatenation of jargon.

I seriously hope this is not sensitive data, or if you can name your Org please I would like to prevent them from serving me.

The fact that you are moving forward with this is more seriously an issue, I would not complain about the competence of the IT department when you yourself are implementing this process. If this task “saves lives” like you inferred above I would say this is seriously bordering on criminal negligence.

Find a contact that is not on the help-desk then, they are the EMT’s of tech.

I can promise you your infrastructure team would be happy to help you with this vs. implement anything similar to this “workaround”

Assuming your “IT” department isn’t comprised of one guy who was the bosses “computer guy”

This is probably overly harsh, but the point stands. BubbaDog’s company has certain IT requirements, and once they make their requirements clear it’s up to the vendor whether they’re going to meet them or not. If the vendor chooses to take on BubbaDog as a client, they have to figure out how to prioritize stuff their own work internally. There’s no reason for BubbaDog to worry about that process at all - that’s one of the things he’s paying the outside IT vendor to do.

XML call being nonsensical because it doesn’t tell us anything.

is it an rpc call to XML data? or calling XML data in ASP?

If you are writing the end program it should be trivial to have that program parse XML data without the use of FTP word and Excel spreadsheets.

That is the point of encoding data in XML it is semi portable and both human/machine readable.

Huh? We use the term XML call all the time.