The 'Jelly Donut' rock on Mars

Until told otherwise, my theory is that something threw a rock at the rover. :wink:

<Martian>Yankee go home!</Martian>

A few years ago I watched a presentation by a scientist from JPL about Spirit and Opportunity at a local air and space museum. It was a very interesting presentation and it was funny to see how she (and her other controllers) had assigned personalities to the rovers. Spirit was the hard worker and had to really work for its discoveries, but she described Opportunity as “Little Miss Perfect” because it seemed that she was always in exactly the perfect place to make discoveries.

When Opportunity landed on Mars it actually bounced into an impact crater, one of only a few on the plain where it landed. The presenter described this as “an interplanetary hole in one” and was such a stroke of luck that Opportunity was making discoveries from the moment it woke up. After it came out of its crater it found its heat shield - something the scientists never expected to see but they were able to analyze it for future missions. I can’t remember everything she said about the good fortune Opportunity had, but it was clear that it’s had more than its share of lucky discoveries that just seem to present themselves to that rover. This unique rock just appearing is yet another example of the good fortune Opportunity has had. Little Miss Perfect indeed.

I did some digging about the rover personalities and found this article celebrating the 1 year anniversary on Mars: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/6762529/ns/technology_and_science-space/#.UuGKnNLnbDc. This is not the same scientist I saw but the sentiment is identical.

Am I the only one that thinks that doesn’t look the least bit like a jelly donut?

It looks like the jelly donut at the bottom of the bag, an hour or so after purchase.

In the first photo, there is a brown ring on the ground which is thicker on one side like a croissant with the thicker side to the “north”. In the second photo there is a croissant shaped rock in the same place but with the thick side on the “south”. It’s on top of the brown ring but not covering it exactly, it’s about half it’s width off center of the ring.

It seems like the rock was buried where the ring is but flipped over and the ring in the second photo is actually the hole where the rock was before it was flipped. On the other hand, it doesn’t look like a hole. On the third hand, we can’t see very much of it and the part we can see would be the shallowest part of the hole.

So, I’m none wiser but the ring and rock are too identically shaped to be coincidence.

I understand all the individual words here but the arrangement makes no sense.
Still in the bag an hour after you bought them? What?

What? You don’t buy in bulk?

I’ve known a few scientists. I can’t imagine any of them admitting to being mystified.

Eh? We get mystified all the time. It’s part of the job.

Howabout dumbfounded? :stuck_out_tongue: