The Jeopardy thread [was James Holzhauer][contains spoilers]

The film version, Manhunter with William Petersen, was very good. Moreso if you like Miami Vice. :slight_smile:

IMO Brian Cox was a much better Lecktor.

But, I still blew FJ. I could not remember “Harris”. I’m going, “Thomas Hardy? That’s not right…”

I got it right because I recently read a couple of histories on the Plantagenet dynasty and am fascinated by that time period. Most people put the “-ed” on the end, so I think they’d have let it slide.

Yeah, “Lionheart” or “Lionhearted,” I doubt it matters.

I would have had to write: "who was the guy who wrote “Silence of the Lambs?” and hope they’re generous that day.

I would have had “Who is Harris,” so by Jeopardy rules I was right. For some reason I couldn’t come up with Thomas for the life of me.

That’s why many contestants give only the last name, in case the first name trips them up.

I knew the book was Red Dragon but in no universe would I remmeber Thomas Harris.

The previews for today’s show shows a really confident Daily Double bet by one of the new players. We’ll have to see how that works out.

Same exact thing for me; upon the reveal of the FJ clue I said “hmmm… the guy who wrote Silence of the Lambs? Too bad I don’t know his name.”

I guessed the FJ answer based solely on the category. Of course I wasn’t sure until I saw the clue.

Brian

There was only a 50/50 choice (I couldn’t think of a third alternative), but the clue made it crystal clear, really.

As soon as we saw the category, my wife and I came up with Marbury v. Madison, Dred Scott, and Plessy v. Ferguson as the only possible correct responses.

“Separate but equal,” right! That’s the third one everyone who ever took Law 101 knows.

Bialik commented on what a courageous wager it was. The thing is, it was a smart wager. The previous day, a contestant was trailing Jonathan badly late in Double Jeopardy, but she only wagered $2000 out of her $3700. Had she bet everything and given the correct response, she would have been within striking distance going into FJ. With her cowardly wager, she instead still only would have had less than half of Jonathan’s total had she nailed the response. (The fact that she gave the wrong response made the whole point moot.)

I was frustrated by today’s song lyrics category. I knew most of the songs but didn’t recognize them from Mayim’s spoken lyrics.

The Music plays a big part in remembering a song.

You mean you didn’t think she sounded like Meat Loaf?

There used to be a game show that challenged people to identify songs. I can do it in six notes. Or the other person would say 4 notes.

Spoken lyrics didn’t trigger my memory like musical notes. I drew blanks on every song in that Jeopardy category.

Name That Tune!

That’s it. I used to watch regularly.

Those spoken song lyrics clues are funnier when Johnny Gilbert speaks them.

In the song lyrics category, it was unclear whether they were looking for the artist or the song title. I felt bad for Erin when she was ruled incorrect with “I Lost On Jeopardy” when they were looking for Weird Al Yankovic.

The clue was: “In the video: These 3 people will compete today on ‘Jeopardy!’”

The “Paradise By the Dashboard Light” and “Miss You” clues both went unanswered, and Mayim said both artist and title when she said the answers. I have no idea which they would have accepted. Unless she said something I missed when introducing the categories, I think they all could have gone either way. (The Beatles and Pat Benatar clues specifically asked for the artist.)