The Jeopardy thread [was James Holzhauer][contains spoilers]

I do that a lot too. It’s the main reason I hate the way they all bounce all over the board trying to throw each other off and hunt for the Daily Doubles these days. It’s much less fun to play along at home when it’s so hard to keep track of the category because they’re not starting at the top and running straight down one category at a time like they used to.

So Courtney Shah is gone. But she’ll be back, in the next ToC. Did she ever reveal what she teaches in Community College?

I hadn’t heard about it, but my husband had. Then again, I don’t give a fig about college (or any) football. The only school I could think of with The as part of the name was The Citadel - is that even its official name?

There’s also The Evergreen State College, occasionally abbreviated TESC.

Did I mishear, or was the Normandy beach where Army Rangers scaled the cliffs on D-Day identified as “Omaha”?

It wasn’t. It was “Utah.”

The clue was

On June 6, 1944 the U.S. Army’s 2nd Ranger Battalion climbed the cliffs of the beach code-named this

and according to the battalion’s Wikipedia page,

[the battalion’s] Able, Baker and Charlie Companies landed along with the 5th Rangers, the 1st Infantry Division and the 29th Infantry Division at Omaha Beach.

Wiki says that these units were at Utah Beach:

Beach

Air drops

Okay, then. Except I don’t recall anyone “climbing cliffs” on Omaha. The ground past the beach may have been elevated, but the real cliffs were at Pointe du Hoc on Utah.

You seem to have misremembered the location of Pointe du Hoc:

Pointe du Hoc lies 4 mi (6.4 km) west of the center of Omaha Beach.[2][3] As part of the Atlantic Wall fortifications, the prominent cliff top location was fortified by the Germans.

(Wiki)

Pointe du Hoc is between Omaha and Utah, but much closer to Omaha. Utah is a few miles farther to the west.

(FYI, I’m not trying to pass myself off as an expert on D-Day or anything; I just Googled this stuff.)

Huh! I’ll be damned, I’ve always thought it was farther to the west. I was wrong.

I learned something today! Thanks for bringing it to my attention. :+1:

Kicking myself for missing this one in Two-Letter Words:

EVIL KING CLOWN STORY

IT

My brain could just not make sense of those words in that order at all. Of course, I look at it now and realize it must have said, “KING EVIL CLOWN STORY”. :woman_facepalming: Sorry, Steve!

I thought tonight’s FJ was easy … so long as you knew what the key word meant.

I confess that, like all three contestants, I didn’t know what a spinneret was. I paused and looked it up before the correct response was revealed, and was able to guess right. But in real time, nope.

I thought it was super easy. But I know what a spinneret is. If you don’t, there’s no way to guess the correct response.

My daughter said basically the same thing when I Skyped her the clue. To her credit, she guessed it had something to do with weaving, because it reminded her of “spindles.”

When I told her they were something arachnids have, she got it immediately.

I knew it was a reference to Charlotte’s Web, and even knew it referred to a pig, but since I’ve never read the book I didn’t remember the pig’s name.

I can never think of Charlotte’s Web without recalling Mr Ed. :slight_smile:

I remember Charlotte’s Web pretty well. I read it and saw the animated movie when I was a kid. Paul Lynde as the voice of Templeton, you know that has to be awesome.

CW also has the best opening line in all of children’s literature. “Where’s papa going with that ax?”

I got the Charlotte’s Web reference, but couldn’t remember Wilbur’s name in the allotted time.

Who did Charlotte’s voice? :wink:

Debbie Reynolds.

Nice doubling up on FJ Wednesday - from $20,200 to $40,400. I knew the Ethiopian emperor’s name, but can’t spell it.