the job interview

Do business managers who interview you
for a job really care about your GPA and
what scholarships, honor societies,
etc…so basically if you do not have
a 3.0 GPA you will seen stupid and have
no choice but to work at Mcdonald’s pushing french fries?

Yes that’s right. There are so few jobs now that managers can fill every last one with 4.0 students.

And yes, I think I will have fries with that.

Oh, my damn conscience keeps nagging me.

If you have a low GPA, don’t print it on your resume. There’s a good chance they won’t even ask. However, you will need some other detail to differentiate yourself – to make yourself stick out in their minds. Do some research on the company before you interview. Find out what their business is, figure out why you think you would successful doing it, then tell them. Finally, always mail a thank you letter within 24 hours after the interview. In my experience, that’s been the single most important thing I’ve done.

Several business people told me GPA and academic career are not the only things
that determines whether you get the job
or not?

You really are not kidding about what

you said at first? Interviewers sure
are getting nitpicky these days, but doesn’t it mean that if you have a higher GPA the ratio of getting the job
is higher, but doesn’t always guarentee the job?
If you have a superb GPA with little experience and you dress in an unkempt
way, you think the employer would hire you?

I heard just today on the radio that the jobless rate is at an all time low, and that employers are looking for employees in places that they would never have looked before.

A good GPA never hurt anybody, but there are things you can do to overcome it. And for heaven’s sake, dress well. It never hurts to wear a suit, even if you’re interviewing for a job at Mickie Dee’s. Use your company manners, and proper English, no slang.

And it’s my own personal bugaboo, but it takes a lot to overcome dirty fingernails if I’m the one who’s interviewing you.

-Melin

Phenomenal woman
 Bitch Corporate Lawyer
 That's me

And for God’s sake, learn to shake hands properly, if you haven’t already. It’s those little things that tip the balance between being hired or disreguarded.

I totally disagree that you should wear a suit to any interview including McDonald’s. You should dress to the level that would be expected of you if you already worked there. For McDonald’s, khakis, a dress shirt and a tie are probably adequate; or, if you’re really confident, a banded collar shirt or polo shirt.

Well Phil, gee, we disagree about something again, imagine that! :wink:

You can’t ever got wrong wearing a suit, but you always run a risk if you dress down. It might be okay, but it might not. Why take the chance?

-Melin

Phenomenal woman
 Bitch Corporate Lawyer
 That's me

::slapping self on forehead:: Du’uh. That should be “go” not “got,” of course.

-Melin

I have to go with Phil over Melin on the McDonald’s issue. What are the chances of the interviewer looking at an applicant in a business suit and wondering how he/she will feel when asked to clean out the grease traps on the grill? It would probably be more appropriate to choose something from the “Business Casual” classification.

As a manager who hires, the one thing that grates me the most is the person who follows up on an interview. I don’t know about other fields but in the hotel field, I tell them as I close the interview if I am interested in you I will call you back in two days. I don’t have time to be bothered with people asking me if the job is filled. If it wasn’t I would’ve called you.

Markxxx,
As another manager who hires, it is a courtesy to notify all whom you interviewed that the job is either theirs or filled. Not all applicants, mind you, but all of those actually interviewed. If you took the time to interview them, and they took the time to participate, you should take the time to respond and close the issue. I, too, do not want to be bothered by ‘follow-ups’, and a short note saying ‘Thank you for taking time to interview with us. The job has been filled by another applicant who more exactly fits our requirements. Good luck on future interviews. (And, if it is true) We would welcome you application for future available positions.’ This save me tons of phone time with anxious applicants.

Again, as someone who does hiring, I agree with both Markxxx and Chuckski… Just wanted to add that there is a delay between the time the job is offered to the most successful candidate, and the time that he/she accepts the position. During that time, I do not want to tell the #2 or #3 candidate that the job has been filled. I need to wait until there is an acceptance, which could be several candidates down the line. That can take some time.

So, if you are a candidate and haven’t heard after a reasonable amount of time, I’d say it’s OK to ask about status: it is not fair that you be left hanging for weeks.

On the other hand, a “thanks for the interview, the job sounds very exciting” kind of follow-up note never hurts.

Back to the original question: the relevance of grade point average depends on the job. If you are competing for a job in accounting and you have low math grades, that will be a handicap. If you can say that your overall grade point is low because you didn’t do well in history or literature, but your math/science scores are high, that would help overcome the low GPA.

The things that we look for include: what school? what gradepoint? what extracurricular activities? what prior job experiences?

And we look for intangibles as well: Is this a person who will work hard? Is this a person who will be dedicated? Is this a “nice” person who will get along well with co-workers? Is this a person who will impress (and be liked by) clients?

Many of these intangibles are judged by outward appearances, such as clothes, neatness, cleanliness, overall impressions, ease in speaking, grammar, diction, posture, etc. It may not be fair, but that’s the way our clients will judge our employees, and so that’s the way we look at candidates as well.

If you are unsure about dress, dress up: business formal never hurts.

I do not agree that one should wear the normal work attire to an interview. Many programming jobs have “business casual” dress codes-- basically, khakis and polo shirts-- but if you show up at the interview in anything but a suit, don’t expect to make a good impression.

I’m not a warlock. I’m a witch with a Y chromosome.

My husband and his boss did some interviewing this week to fill a customer service position (phone) at the bank he works at. His boss (a sharp guy) actually did have some concern on the low GPA of an applicant but they did end up hiring him anyway because: 1. He has customer service experience (retail) 2. He does have a business degree and the customer service end of this particular finance department is where almost everyone starts 3. He was making $6.50 an hour and would gladly do work hard since he would be getting a $4.00 an hour raise.

school and degree seems to be most important especially if you already have some work experience.
And don’t believe the empolyeement rate, I remember reading that the formula for computing the rate was changed a few years ago. If you are not getting an unempolyment check you are not unempolyed

As an aside, I agree with PapaBear…learn how to shake hands. I am female. There is nothing worse than extending your hand expecting a firm handshake and getting a limp soft grip in return. Women seem to do this more often than men but it is particularly bad (and somewhat offensive) when men do it.
To the OP, GPA’s count more when you are fresh out of college. Once you have job experience, letters of reference tend to carry more weight.

You should call them back anyway. That is only basic, common curtesy, and to do otherwise paints a pretty poor picture of your business practices. You get the sort of respect you give, IMHO.

I’ve been in the position of interviewing job candidates for a medium sized engineering company, and we most definately followed up to all interviews, whether positive or negative, and if we couldn’t offer them a position, we tried to be honest (but politely so) about why we couldn’t. Candidates should be entitled to at least that much curtesy.

And for what it’s worth, I never cared what people wore to the interview, as long as it wasn’t hugely inappropriate (like a swimsuit or a Klan robe or something). Casual business attire, even shorts and a T-shirt, was perfectly acceptable, but other firms may be different depending on their corporate culture. I was there to judge their engineering skills, not their fashion sense.

peas on earth