The "joys" of home ownership (getting tired of things breaking)

For me, nothing worse than replacing some remodel where the previous owner either did a job on the cheap or had some wild hair to do something super cool and now it has to be replaced. Things like dark wood and shag carpet. For me its this crappy textured wall stuff that is very rough and you just cant sand the crap off. You have to replace all the drywall.

One house we looked at had a hole in the living room floor which lead to a tiny spiral staircase descending into a basement bar.

Or some dummy saw an idea of turning a garage into a bedroom and now its a mess to turn back into a garage.

My son and his bride discovered the joys of home ownership with their first house. The electricity went out on HALF the house. They called in a (real) electrician, who explained to them their house and contents were classified as “homeowner’s special.” That meant the quality of the work was one step above “Mickey Mouse.”
~VOW

Two steps above “We wire for fire”?

Losing power to half of the house is not an indication of sketchy workmanship, as you seem to imply; it’s a result of how houses are wired.

I learned this when it happened to me years ago.
mmm

The kids had been running into problem after problem; the wiring just seemed to be the icing on the cake. The electrician showed them the questionable stuff.

I’m certainly not discounting the house itself for many of their difficulties. Theirs was a tract house built in postwar years, and those were thrown together faster than humanly possible.
~VOW

Bought my house about 3½ years ago. Since then I have replaced the water heater (crapped out a week after moving in), the furnace, a sky light, both garage doors, 2 of the 3 toilets, the gas fireplace insert and the front porch. Next week about half of the siding on the back of the house is being replaced, it dry rotted due to leaks around windows that were fixed when I had the house painted. I am also dealing with a deck that was built with crappy lumber and an ancient cherry tree whose roots are damaging a bulkhead between my back yard and the dillweed that lives behind me. The only good side to this is the value of my home has gone up about 33% in the short time I have owned it.

Hey, Racer72, is the “dillweed” actual vegetation, or are you casting aspersions in your neighbor?
~VOW

We’ve been pretty lucky so far I guess. Although last month the dishwasher and oven doors both broke within weeks of our draining the house account to put in a new heat pump.

I knew my house was kind of a fixer-upper when I bought it, but with housing prices in California that was all I could afford, even after the 2008 housing crash. But now I’ve apparently been here long enough that stuff I fixed or added shortly after I moved in is now beginning to break:
[ul]
[li]I finally got around to replacing the broken latch on the gate a few weeks ago – the gate that was broken when I bought the place and had replaced after I moved in.[/li][li]Last night the wand on the vertical blinds that cover the large glass patio door popped out of its socket, and I can’t seem to get it back in. These are blinds I put up after I moved in.[/li][li]Since having such a big glass door basically turns the dining room into a greenhouse in the afternoon during the hot Sacramento summer, I put up one of those outdoor roll-up sun shades. Since the weather is starting to get warm I decided it was time to roll it down today. As I did so, the whole thing came tumbling down. I managed to put it back up for new but I’m unsure of how well it’s going to stay up. [/li][/ul]

Good examples. These are all minor, but when they come at you one after the other it just wears your brain out.
mmm

Did you used to own LHoD’s house? :smiley:
I own a 100+ year old residence with LOTS of original stuff including the steam boiler, floors and windows. Aside from all the repairs and upgrades we chose to do, my favorite surprise treat was when the basement stairs collapsed. Ok, they didn’t completely collapse, they just got very very very loose all of a sudden. That was a fun week!

Bought a 1956 house last October and moved in in November. It’s amazing how many items on my wish list are now on indefinite hold. I had to get the roof repaired. It was in bad shape, leading to needed ceiling repair in the master bath. Had to get a LOT of electrical work done redevicing all my outlets and switches due to reversed polarity and ungrounded outlets as well as 60 years of DIY “updates.” Had to get a new dishwasher (Good god, I’m grateful for all the Home Depot cards I got as housewarming gifts). My handy friend got my main bathroom sink to flow right and replaced the kitchen faucet that my then roomie paid for due to having to have a filter. Today, an insulation guy is coming by to look at the attic because time and the crappy state of the roof has left me with about R8 insulation conditions. This is placing a huge strain on my ancient AC and therefore my wallet. So now all the things like a nicer front door, enclsing the carport, new fencing and terrazzo repair are taking a back seat since they’re really just cosmetic and I have to save up for when the AC dies, for getting rid of the rubber tree, for the eventual plumbing update and for whatever else breaks between now and then. But I AM going to have the house repainted even though that’s just cosmetic since it REALLY needs it.

BUT, now that I’ve done so much to the place both with my hands and my wallet, I am really starting to like living there.

That is exactly what happened with my house. The roof had extensive dry rot around the eves and leaked around the chimney, so replacing that was the first priority. And I went ahead and added additional insulation to the attic at the same time (A very worthwhile investment – there was a noticeable decrease in my heating bills). And the original aluminum single pane windows were drafty so I had those replaced. And the side door to the garage was in terrible shape. And the fence was broken. And there was some electrical stuff. After fixing all that I figured the purely cosmetic stuff could wait. Like my original dream of replacing the old carpet with some sort of hardwood or laminate, and replacing the original 1973 kitchen cabinets, and installing a real full sized dishwasher (the house didn’t actually have one, so I bought a portable countertop unit).

Reading this thread has made really want to be a homeowner.

Seriously. Why?

We’ve lived in two separate houses owned by the same landlords for ~7 years now. The landlords refuse to fix anything, no matter how bad it is.

Lemme tell you a story…

We moved into a house in 2013. The front porch had some rotted-out boards but the landlord promised to fix them. They never did and I ended up replacing about $200 worth of 2x6’s because it had gotten to the point that it was unsafe.

The front porch light fixture quit working. They promised to look at it. They never did. I ended up replacing it with a similar model. $70 at Lowe’s.

The big one though… Summer of 2015 we noticed little quarter-sized pools of water on our floor in the hallway (faux hardwood). This was right outside the bathroom so we figured some bathroom supply line was leaking. Knowing that the landlords wouldn’t do anything about it I crawled under the house looking for any obvious leaks and didn’t see anything—everything was dry.

We of course let the landlords know right away: I texted them that day, and wrote out a letter explaining the issue that went with the next rent check. Meanwhile we sopped up the little pools of water that showed up every few days. Landlords acknowledged my text but never came by the house.

Eventually the floor started to get soft. Another text. The landlord came by and took pictures. She asked us to stop using the tub in that bathroom as her theory was the drain was leaking. We did so but it didn’t solve the problem. By this time the linoleum in the bathroom was cracking and the floor had several inches of play in it. The landlord came by again and declared the problem was apparently not the drain so we could start using the bathtub again. She hemmed and hawed when I asked her what they were going to do about the source of the water and the damage it had already caused.

At some point we figured out that the problem was a blocked drain pipe from the heat pump. Whenever we ran it to cool the house, the water showed up. Another text. Landlord ordered us not to use the heat pump on “cool.” So we went out and bought $500 worth of window AC units. By this time the floor was ruined. We were literally stepping over holes in the floor.

One day a pipe under the house burst. The landlords were on vacation so had no choice but to call in a plumber. I had to go out to the street and shut off the water. The plumber arrived and declared that he was under orders to just stop the leak, not repair it. Turns out the leak was the hot water supply to the master bath and the laundry room. His “fix” not only meant we couldn’t use the shower in our bathroom, but he also—and I still can’t figure this one out—somehow capped the cold water to the laundry room as well. So we had to run a hose in from outside just to run the washing machine. We had to shower in the kid’s bathroom, the one with the unstable, hole-filled floor.

When the landlords returned they declared the house uninhabitable (ya think?!?) and offered us a house across the street for the same rent. We took it cuz we didn’t have much choice.

The new house is smaller and there’s only one bathroom and it’s surrounded by noisy asshole neighbors. There’s a crack running down the entire house as if one side of the foundation is sinking. The front porch is rotting away—it looks like it’s been rotting for some time and was just painted over. Three windows are missing blinds. The landlord promised to get them but never has. Both doors lack weather stripping and one can see daylight from around 3 edges.

And the landlords bitch if the grass is too long for their liking, or an Amazon box has been sitting on the porch too long (never longer than a day, obviously, but that’s too much for them), or the bbq grill is insufficiently covered, or that wasp nest on the back of the house I never noticed hasn’t been sprayed yet (they drive by twice a week or so to “check on things”) or or or…

Yeah, yeah I know… we should move. We should sue. But our rent is about 40% of what the market rate for this house would be—literally less than half what it should be. I’m still in school and don’t work full-time. Right now we can’t afford to move, despite all 4 of us hating this house. And anything that needs to get done I either have to pay for it or it doesn’t get done. Right now the faucet in the bathtub leaks. I know a text or phone call would be fruitless, and I actually measured the amount of water that’s dripping in a day and calculated that it’s cheaper to pay the extra dollar or so per month than to call a plumber myself. Besides if the landlords found out I had done so they would likely be pissed.

The previous house we rented we had to pay for a new hot water heater and the furnace to be repaired.

If I owned a home 1) presumably I would be living somewhere that I actually wanted to live rather than a place I was forced to move to, 2), a mortgage would cost about ½ - 2/3 of what the rent for a comparable house would be, and 3) I could fix all these problems myself and actually contribute to the betterment of my own property rather than spending time and money to fix something the landlords will benefit from.

So yeah. Home ownership can be a pain. But what I’m reading in this thread is stories from people who take some pride in their homes and are willing—as much as it may hurt the pocketbook and fracture their sanity—to do what it takes to live in safe, comfortable living conditions.
Fuck landlords with a rusty chainsaw. I’d take home ownership over renting any day.

I’m guessing it really depends on the individual landlord. Every place I rented before becoming a homeowner, from the tiny low-rent apartment I lived in in college and grad school to more upscale apartments after I got my first real job, was managed by a professional property management company. They were always good about sending someone out to fix stuff promptly after I reported it. But I can see how a small time landlord who manages the property themselves could be different.

Lancia - I assume you’re not in Texas. Here, if there’s something that needs repair, the renter can withhold rent until the items are fixed. If you haven’t checked the applicable laws, do that now.

I’ve been mostly fortunate. I did a lot of the cosmetic work when I moved it, and haven’t had more things go wrong than I could afford to hire someone to fix.

My biggest problem is that the front yard and the driveway flood with any heavy* rain. I’ve been living with that for 20 years, but it needs to be fixed before I get to old to navigate muddy yards.

Next biggest problem is that both my washer and dryer are on their last legs. The problem there is that the drain for the washer periodically clogs and floods the laundry room, and the laminate floor is trash. Do I just replace the washer/dryer and live with the floor? Or do I add in the 10 year old water heater, and have the floors replaced with something that can handle an occasional flood while I’m at it? Or get the plumbing repaired so it doesn’t flood anymore?
*And in Texas, that’s 90% of our rainfall.

Mortgage would be half to two-thirds of what your rent is? Huh?

It’s been a while since I have rented, but a mortgage payment was always a helluva lot more! Plus you’ve got property taxes and insurance (if you do impounds) and most places have exorbitant Homeowner Association fees.

Depending on where you buy, property taxes can cost almost as much as a mortgage payment.

And then there’s the roof. The HVAC. The sewer main to the street (remember those trees you liked so much?). The damned mice.

And the way things are going, for GAWD’S sake, get flood insurance!
~VOW

My mortgage is about 70% less than the rent I was paying 20 years ago for a house that was probably 70% smaller than my current house.
But people - when you consider what a livable mortgage payment might be - double the amount you expect to pay to cover property taxes, insurance and necessary home repairs.

Here’s an average representative property from my town. I don’t live at this property so don’t be sending hate mail please :slight_smile:

Zillow lists the value as $159,157. Using this mortgage calculator (with a 20% down payment, 4.2% interest rate, and $1300 year tax bill, per Zillow) I get $817 per month including taxes (but obviously not insurance and this property has no HOA fees). With no down payment the mortgage & taxes jumps to $1,036 per month

Zillow says that the rent estimate would be $1,095 / month. Clearly higher than $817 or even $1,036. However, Zillow is not taking into account the fact that the house has a two car garage and and storage shed. A few similar sized houses with similar amenities in the same neighborhood shows rental prices significantly higher—25-30% higher. My best guess is that the rental price on the house I did the mortgage calculation on would be $1500/month.

For laffs I plugged in our current house into Zillow and did the same calculations. Zillow lists the value as $116,700. Zillow lists the estimated rent at 1,100 / month. We pay $700. The mortgage calculator I used comes back with a monthly mortgage & tax payment of $611 per month.

All the above uses Zillow figures and the first mortgage calculator I found. But I think it’s pretty clear that, even if these numbers aren’t exact monthly housing costs around here are significantly cheaper with a mortgage than with a landlord.

I just sold a rental that was renting for 3x my mortgage and HOA costs. 5 years ago I decided to buy a house because the mortgage and HOA was 10% less then a comparable rental. I’m closing on a house next week that is twice as big as my current rental on 3x as much land and my payment is flat. I’ve never lived anywhere where it wasn’t cheaper to buy then rent and after a couple of years much cheaper to buy then rent since rent always goes up but the mortgage stays flat.