The last breath of Jesus ...

I recall a calculation of how many molecules and/or atoms from the last breath of Jesus are in each of us now? I can’t find the answer on the internet or in the archives. Any ideas of what the answer is?

Can’t say I’ve ever heard the Jesus variant of this one, but I do recall hearing that if Columbus had poured a cup of water overboard, and it had been dispersed uniformly around the world, we’d all have 100 molecules of that water in each of us. Considering Columbus urinated a lot more than a cup of water over the side of the ship in his day, I found the cup of water thing rather irrelevant.

Is the Jesus gas figure obtainable? Do the math! Average tidal volume of one breath, at sea level contains x molecules of gas. now use diffusion coefficients to spread this thru the volume of gas enveloping the earth. Don’t forget nitrogen fixation, taking some of the gas out of the atmosphere, and putting it into the soil, and hence into plants, and even us. I’m sure we can statistically prove that some of He whom some call the Christ’s earthly exhalations are statistically likely to be banging into us even today! But I’m not up for the math personally.

A few molecules are likely to be be the same, according to the view from the back of the evelope. I have heard the problem called the “Caesar’s last breath” problem, but never the “Jesus’ last breath” problem.

And how much of Hitler’s first fart are we breathing every day? Who cares? And those chips you’re eating are bound to contain some remanents of burnt Salem witches. Think about that.

I sorta remember hearing something like this on the ONLY episode of The Straight Dope I ever saw on A&E. Only, it was someone else. Einstein, maybe?

Since the Last Supper included lots of garlic (to impress the Romans), Jesus’s last breath was … well… potent.

You ever see movies like BEN HUR, where there’s thunder and lightning as Jesus is breathing his last? … that’s from the garlic. And the baked beans.

:::sigh:::

Believe it or not, this was actually (almost) a question on the Comprehensive Exam this year. The only differences were that we used Socrates, not Jesus, and took all of his breaths in his lifetime, not just his last.

Every drop of water you drink passed through a dinosaur at some point.