The last remaining acceptable stereotype. . .

I have to agree. The stereotypes surrounding overweight do remain acceptable (or at least semi-acceptable). But the stereotypes surrounding mental illness are far more “acceptable,” and also more pernicious. (I’m fat and crazy, so I should know)

Another stereotype: Crazy fat people are careless with their UBB code. :slight_smile:

I agree that although some people may be genetically predisposed towards being overweight, it is not a cross that they must bear. We all have metabolic differences that we can learn to work around. I personally am overweight and I was more so. In my case a certain diet seemed to work very well for me and it still helps even today. The problem wasnt how much I was eating but what type of foods I was eating in what combinations.

I agree, I am a major mouse potato. I did not start any major exercise program, no pills, etc, a few small modificatins to my diet and wham…dropping weight.

want something to pick on here? I will go hunt down the stats if you want. Sweetened, caffienated(sp) beverages. You want to see weight gain, spike your blood sugar then give yourself a mild metabolic accelerant to make sure you store it as fat faster. Many of us overweight people can make a difference in our weight just by avoiding sodas, especially when you buy the big 64 oz monster sized. Thats like 900 calories and 300 or so grams of carbohydrates, damn near 50% of what your body is going to burn in a day at one shot.

I have never heard a stereotype of fat people that they were whiny. Lazy, jolly, prone to flatulence, clumsy, gluttonous - all aspects of the traditional “Fat” stereotypes. But whiny? News to me.

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by drachillix *

So true!

If only it were true for me… I never drink soda. Water for me, boys and girls! For years and years. On the rare occasions I drink soda, it is two sips because there’s nothing else around (at the movies with my hunny and I’m thirsty after popcorn) or because I’ve decided I want “dessert” in the form of a full glass of soda - which happens about 3 times a year.

i don’t see how people can suck down that crap by the gallon day after day. Yech!

stoid

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by MGibson *

Yes and no. As I said before, if you eat less and exercise more you may get thinner but you would not necessarily be thin. Just how thin does a person have to be before the gluttonous stereotype no longer applies?

Calories in, energy out is a medically a scientifically sound equation, however why does everyone assume that the numbers that are plugged in to this equation are the same for everyone? There is a normal human range for how many calories are needed to maintain body weight. Notice the word “range”. An individual’s ability to metabolize calories are influenced greatly by genetics.

All the above applies to what you would call a “normal” person. I did mention before that up to 10% of women of childbearing age are afflicted with PCOS. That’s a hell of a lot of people. This is only one desease that causes problems with weight.

I’m not saying that fat people, if they do not want to be fat, should not diet and exercise. What I’m saying is that there is this preconcieved notion that fat people are fat because they are lazy and weak-willed. So far almost everyone in this thread has fallen into that old “if they’d just eat less” mode. Less than what? Less than whom?

Sure there are lazy, weak-willed, gluttonous fat people. But a person is not lazy, weak-willed and/or gluttonous by virtue of being fat.

“Last remaining acceptable stereotype?” Hardly. I agree that “fat people” and “crazy people” are still unfairly lampooned, but you also forget:

• short people
• transgendered people
• old people

All of whom are ONLY seen on TV or in movies as living punchlines. If you are a fat, crazy old transsexual midget, you could have a great career doing cameo appearances in Adam Sandler and Jim Carrey movies.

But I have a few extra pounds on me. On the heavy side of pudgy, if you want to be nice about it. Anyway, I am this way because…you guessed it…I am pretty inactive AND I like to eat tasty food, usually lotsa meat. Love meat. Wowza.

::shrug:: These sort of posts never help things, but its the truth for me at least. I’m overweight because I’m lazy, and I eat too much. The pop thing doesn’t do much for me, I’m a coffee drinker. But beer, another love of mine, is obviously loaded with calories.

Mmmm, beeeer…

Hmmm.

No doubt there are other remaining stereotypes, but I find that most of these are not acceptable. I think, perhaps, the transgendered are indeed stereotyped and these stereotypes are accepted by most people. So fat people are the second last acceptable stereotype.

I’m not sure how old, short and crazy people are stereotyped. I have seen these people made fun of, surely, but I am not aware of any stereotype.

Enlighten me, folks, I think I’m missing something.

i don’t go by any of the stereotypes you listed, biggirl. what i always assume about people for whom being fat appears to be their way of life, is that they simply don’t understand how unhealthy it is. i went to lunch with a fat coworker who dipped his pizza in thousand island dressing. it was hard to watch - like watching a teenager obliviously allow himself to become addicted to cigarettes. i am 5’ 10" and weigh around 200 pounds. whenever i went to the doctor in the past, my blood pressure was high, and i finally got my cholesterol checked and it was high as well. i immediately cut eggs and cheese out of my diet (not totally, but almost) and started checking labels to avoid high saturated fat and within two weeks, my blood pressure registered in the normal range for the first time i could remember. i can’t imagine knowing that i have a possible life-threatening health condition like high cholesterol or blood pressure, and not doing everything i could to fix it. am i wrong assuming fat people don’t know the health risks? if they do know, i would find that even more disturbing.

Biggirl, six to ten percent of premenopausal women have PCOS. So what’s the excuse for all the overweight men out there? :slight_smile:

In the past debates on this board, there have been a lot of medical issues cites that result in weight gain. I think that pretty much anyone who disputes that there are is an idiot.

But, I find it very hard to believe that everyone, or even the majority of people, who are obese suffer from one of these disorders. And while a lot of lip service gets paid to “Yes, I understand that the caloric intake and caloric burn is important”, there are also a lot of "but"s appended to the end of this acknowledgement.

So, overweight people who post to this thread, before you fob off explanation for all obesity, or even just yours, on a medical condition, would you care to post your average daily caloric intake, calories in the form of fat, and amount and type of daily exercise you get?

I’m not bashing anyone, and if you have a medical condition then that’s a whole 'nother deal, but I would be interested to get a subjective sampling to attach some facts to this debate.

What about stereotypes of rural white Southerners? I don’t even own a banjo. And, I’ve got all my teeth. It’s perfectly acceptable and humerous to portray anybody with a Southern accent as an incestuous racist moron. It dosen’t particularly offend me, because few things do, but it hardly seems fair. I suppose we deserve it because our great grandfathers owned slaves, right? Uh-huh.

Necros wrote:

PCTS? :wink:

I find this statement obnoxious. First of all, I don’t think that most people in this thread are making excuses for being fat. Second, who are you to judge people’s eating and exercise habits?

That said…

I think what Biggirl is getting at is this: There are reasons other than gluttony and laziness that people are fat. PCOS is one complicating factor.

Necros, why do fat people have to prove to you that they are not lazy and gluttonous? There are plenty of thin people who eat a lot and do not exercise. Does this mean they are lazy and gluttonous? Do you just assume they are lazy and gluttonous?

Do you see the difference between saying someone eats more than they burn and saying that they are lazy and greedy. Do you see that you are making a judgement on a fat person’s character on no evidence at all.

Do you know the meaning of the word “stereotype”?

Biggirl is right.

Think of it this way, how many times do you see the (NEGATIVE, positive and neutral ones exist) stereotypes for other categories of people displayed without apology on television or in the movies?

Seen any black folks eating watermelon lately?
Lisping homosexuals? (Jack on W&G comes close!)
Where’e the Frito Banditio?

Etc.

You just don’t see it.

But fat stereotypes are alive and thriving, in TV, commercials, and film. I’m not claiming that all portrayals of fat people are stereotypical (Camryn Manheim ROCKS!) but there are still plenty of stereotypical portrayals out there. And if it weren’t considered acceptable, we wouldn’t see it. Just like we don’t see watermelon munching black people.

stoid

Actually, I’m quite interesting in hearing how many times you see those negative stereotypes. Maybe I just watch the “wrong” stuff, but I don’t see stereotypes of fat people on TV or movies.

Could you point out a few examples from popular television shows or movies?

I’m not denying that there are stereotypes against fat people; however, they are certainly not the only ones, and I don’t believe that they are accepted by most people.

How about the stereotype of computer gurus being scrawny and pale young men with poor social skills? Or the stereotype of males as stupid oafs? Or the stereotype of the mentally ill as all being violent psychopaths? Or the stereotype of teenagers as being shallow and selfish? Or the stereotype of old people as being boring and out of touch? Or the stereotype of black people as all being ganstas? Or the stereotype of rich people being buffoons and jerks? Or the stereotype of all very religious people as mindless zealots? Honestly, there are more accepted stereotypes than you can shake a stick at.

I recall seeing a segment on CNN about how “plus-sized” (which gets my vote for "most annoying newspeak of the 20th century) women were getting more screen time in Hollywood these days. Their examples?

1. Camryn Manheim
  2. Drew Barrymore
  3. Kate Winslet

Okay, no argument about Camryn Manheim. Drew seems pushing it. But KATE WINSLET? That’s supposed to be FAT? WTF?

Frankly, seeing as the number one problem facing mankind since we figured out the whole walking erect thing has been not having enough food, having TOO MUCH food is, well, small potatoes.

I’m fat.

I’m not blocking your sun, so get over it.[ul]Fat people are superior lovers.
We’re more sensual than you poor, deprived “skinnies”.
[sup]Any females interested in seeing for themselves if the above stereotype is true are welcome to get in touch![/sup][/ul]Seriously, I’m not particularly sensitive about my large size. I’ve always been heavy and for me, it works. What I think is a bit unfair is that when someone expresses a dislike for being stereotyped, someone else will invariably respond with “If the shoe fits…”

Biggirl’s not griping about being heavy. She’s griping about how some people can’t see anything except her size. It’s not your place to tell a fat person to stop eating so much and exercise more. They’ve heard it before and don’t need to hear it from you.

Likewise, it isn’t my place to tell you you ought to be straight if you’re gay, go back to Africa if you’re black, or get a job if you’re unemployed. It’s better for me (and you) if I try to look past my first impression to see if I can discover what there is about you I like. If I really can’t stand you, it’s in both our best interests if I don’t try to force you to comply to your standard.

~~Baloo

Try being a single male. According to many women I’ve met, all men are presumed to be potential stalkers, psychos, axe murderers, child molesters, and so on, and it’s a struggle to prove otherwise. Men are also portrayed as bumbling idiots far mroe often in the media than women are.

Yes, fat people are still stereotyped, but they speak out about the “injustice,” for lack of a better word. I don’t hear much in the media about the negative image that men as a whole have.