The latest 1980s media property back for the 2020s? Gremlins

A trailer for the new animated series.

Mogwai? Mogwai not.

Note the logo in the upper left corner of that screenshot; it’s for Max, the new name of HBO Max. So like everyone else, the company is trying to exploit any property it owns.

Daniel Clamp runs for president?

With the right rousing musical climax, I’d be happy.

Clamp has to be part of the story though - that could just make it.

It’s probably just me, but the style is odd. In some parts it looks like classic 2D anime, in others like 3D.

“Listen up! It’s G3 people! This should be a party with pizzas and anchovies! This is why there needs to be a woman in the writers room” (oh that last line slayed me on so many levels: “a” woman, “this” i.e. to put female characters in a movie, and just the acknowledgement that women don’t appear in writers rooms much).

Can you please explain where this quote is from? I have no idea.

Sorry, I can’t embed the video. You tube “Key Peele gremlins”

The first four episodes are out. It is okay, I guess. Has some significant weaknesses. I did like that they included another horrific story of holiday parental death in there.

I haven’t seen this yet, but I know someone who’s seen the full season, and they said it was actually really good. He said the tone is kind of in-between Gremlins and it’s sequel. Being a fan of both films, I’m glad they’ve fleshed out and expanded on Gizmo’s story. He also said that there were other ‘monsters’ that weren’t the gremlins, which interests me. I guess I have to get Max for a month, unfortunately.

I’ve watched the first 6 of the 10 episodes of this season. It is pretty okay, but it isn’t remotely similar to either of the movies in tone. It is more like the wild and weird cartoon adaptations of the 1960s/1970s/1980s, like when they made Happy Days into a cartoon but Fonzie was a time-traveller with an anthropomorphic dog. It involves a lot of other magical creatures that may (or may not, I’m not sure) be based on Chinese folklore. It reminds me a bit actually, of the animated Usagi Yojimbo adaptation that is deeply different from Usagi Yojimbo the comic.

When he said the tone was between Gremlins 1 and 2, I think he meant the comedy/horror ratio, and how absurd it is.