The latest Bush meme: "the Dem 527s are accusing us of poisining pregnant women"

In other words, no.

But Hentor, it’s not necessary to examine or refute the story. Liberal’s position is still ridiculous even you accept the story 100%.

I guess it’d be stashed away with their ads attacking Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson and Nixon. You know, the ones they prepared just in case any of those guys happened to be running for President.

Besides which, no matter how good or bad Clinton may have been, the fundamental point is that Bush is actively making things worse.

Basically, an extra ten years to achieve a result three times worse. Of course, the solution proposed by fucking idiotic libertarians like Liberal would be to repeal all environmental legislation.

I think the real story is that when people use money to fund ads, Kerry fights back by trying to argue his side and demanding that the authors of the ads apologize and stop doing it. In other words, fights speech with more speech. Bush’s response is just to ban speech entirely (althought, it is something he knows will never happen, especially since he opposed it back in the day when he thought it was Republican groups that would benefit!)

Actually, I think that might be a misrepresentation of Bush’s position, at least according to what Senator McCain said yesterday on Face the Nation. He said that what he and Bush want is for the FEC to hold 527’s to the same laws they hold everyone else. He said repeatedly that no one is calling for suppression of speech, but merely equitable application of existing law.

Here’s the transcript: http://www.cbsnews.com/htdocs/pdf/face_082904.pdf

Here’s an excerpt, McCain speaking:

Incidentally, for anyone interested who has read the Chihuahua’s post, I favor far more strict environmental regulation than we have now. I advocate that government cease its own pollution, and that it not make politically expedient exceptions in the supression of pollution which, libertarianly speaking, is a form of vandalism and assault.

What a load of fucking crap.

A clue for the cluess. SBVFT is a 527. It’s not regulated by the FEC. The FEC can’t regulate it, the FEC isn’t allowed to. MoveOn is a PAC. The FEC does regulate it.

Do you think that the government should be prevented from requiring corporations that pollute to clean up after themselves? Should businesses be required to fund the Superfund, or should taxpayers dollars be used to clean up the messes left behind by corporate polluters?

What a weasel. You only favor the transfer of the polluting function to something that isn’t called “government”. You aren’t really in favor of anything that would reduce pollution, just some nebulous concept of the enforcement of property rights. Voodoo.

Those who pollute should be forced to clean up their own messes. After all, they made them.

Excellent! I completely agree - even when it is the government that did the polluting.

Well, MoveOn is both a PAC and a 527. It’s really three organizations, MoveOn.org, a 501(c)(4) issue advocacy group, MoveOn PAC, a federal PAC, and MoveOn.org Voter Fund, a 527 educational organization. Here are the three websites:

moveonvoterfund.org

And just to correct myself…it’s the 527 that’s an “issue advocacy” group…the 501©(4) is a “social welfare” group. It’s probably not the PAC that’s running the ads. I’d imagine their 527 is.

Well, they might both have been right. Mikey might have been sitting next to Jimmy and Rosalyn and *on top of * Theresa.

McCain knows that, you dumbass — he’s a Senator. Did you even read the transcript?

“In other words, they should be hard money contributions, the same campaign contribution limitations that all of us have.”

“We’ve got to reform the Federal Elections Commission.”

“This–they–for three years they were supposed to enforce the law against 527s. Why? Because the law says any organization that engages in partisan political activity shall be governed by the same campaign finance laws. They refuse to enforce that.”

Thanks, I didn’t know that. As it turns out, the ads the Pubbies were complaining about were actually from the Sierra Club’s 501(c)(3). This is more complicated than I’d been led to believe.

I see. Government is necessarily bad but politicians necessarily know what they’re talking about and tell the truth?

Something factual, which doesn’t depend on us taking your word or some politician’s word might be helpful at this point. What does the law actually call for?

You pathetic dumbass. McCain was co-sponsor of the McCain-Feingold bill, the so-called Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act. If you want information on it, look it up.

I was kinda hoping you’d look it up. All I can come up with is stuff that makes you and McCain look like fucking idiots:

So what’s the story? McCain sponsored the bill, but was too stupid to know what the effects would be? McCain sponsored the bill, realised the unintended effects and did nothing about it? Bill Clinton’s blow-job prevented the Pubbies from submitting a new bill? What?

Well, since you’re managing to stagger around somewhat on topic, and now that you finally have some idea what we’re talking about, the answer is yes, he failed to predict the unintended consequences, and now he finds himself in the position of complaining that — wait for it now, 'cause this is what you originally contradicted — there needs to be reform to cover the loopholes so that 527’s are held to the same laws as everyone else.

So which is it? Does he wants equitable application of the law that he wrote, or does he want to change it? If he wants to change it, why has this desire for change suddenly struck? And I’d still like to see you actually look up something factual about what the law says.

Or failing that, I’d like to see you say something, anything, sensible.

McCain said, “This–they–for three years they were supposed to enforce the law against 527s. Why? Because the law says any organization that engages in partisan political activity shall be governed by the same campaign finance laws. They refuse to enforce that.”

http://www.citizen.org/congress/campaign/issues/nonprofit/articles.cfm?ID=11107

McCain is requesting that the FEC enforce its regulations.