The Life of Pi - soon a movie ?!?

And by Ang Lee, no less. Trailer here.
And blow me down if in fact it does not appear to suck. How long since we’ve had a literate book turned into a decent movie?

[del]Atonement
The Time-Traveller’s Wife
THHGttG[/del]
LotR
About a Boy
[del]Dune[/del]
Bladerunner
Hotel du Lac
A Clockwork Orange
Catch-22
The Spy Who Came in From The Cold
(Note to self - must see more literate non-SF/fantasy films)

(Couldn’t do a proper forum search for “Life of Pi” due to too many short words, I hope there isn’t a thread on this already)

I can hardly wait. This one will actually get me out to the theater. Trailer looks really good. I’ll have to read it again to refresh my memory.

Sorry! I don’t know how I missed your post - I even looked. I’m excited to see what they do with it.

It looks very stylised. That just doesn’t look like the real ocean to me. But I can get past that, as it looks like a fun movie.

So did the meerkats. And the tiger. And the lifeboat. And the island. And pretty much every damn thing I saw in that 2:23 trailer.

Count me out; not interested.

This is one of those books that I heard too many mixed reviews to ever get interested enough to pick it up, so I will be looking forward to the movie. On DVD.

It doesn’t look bad at that.

My favorite parts of the novel took place before they left India, particularly the argument between the Anglican priest, the imam, and the Hindu priest, and when his father is describing the animals in nature v. at the zoo to him. I hope those scenes are in the movie.

Huh. It’s a tough story to make a movie out of. I might go see it just because the challenges it presents for cinematic story-telling make me curious. The trailer does look decent.

Meerkats? Tigers? What do they have to do with π?

Why, no, I haven’t read the book. Been busy with The Golden Ratio: The Story of Phi, the World’s Most Astonishing Number, which actually is about ϕ.

ETA: No threadshitting intended, but (finally) reading about “The Life of Pi” I’m disappointed because I really did think it was about mathematics. It turns out there is no way in hell I’m reading the book or seeing the movie.

Sorry, I’ll leave now.

The main character’s name is Piscine, “Pi” for short.

It makes sense to me that it’s all stylized since the book doesn’t take place in realtime but is instead Pi telling the story and reflecting back about what happened, and there is the question from the book about what is true and what is not. I’m not saying that is the best way to represent the book, but making it stylized instead of literal is one way to convey all the uncertainty.

I absolutely loved the book. The first third was a slog but after that it’s really great. Can’t wait to see this movie.

“Literate” book. “decent” movie. I see so many True Scotsmen ahead you might as well start a clan.

The Princess Bride. Goldfinger. I hear “The Hunger Games” was a pretty good adaptation, though I have not read the book or seen the movie. The Nero Wolfe television series did an EXCELLENT job of adapting several of the novels. The Game of Thrones is an ungodly good adaptation of some ungodly good books. Not movies, per se, but then, TV has been better than movies of late.

My wife enjoyed it, but I found the prose a little overdone and the early declarations that it would make a believer out of me dubious to the point of offensiveness and didn’t make it very far before setting it aside.

I will definitely check out the movie - my impression it’s that it may succeed on the strength of story in spite of its incidental flaws, and make for a good film - like Harry Potter did.

On the fence about seeing it in the theatre or waiting for bluray - usually like to see 3D spectacle type things in the theatre, but am not sure if it’s going to be visually interesting for a feature length film -I’m sure the reviews will settle that.

After seeing bob ducca’s qualified endorsement, I may give the book another shot and try to stick with it a little further.

Don’t know the book and wasn’t particularly thrilled by the trailer, but excited that Irrfan Khan is starring in it!

He is IMHO one of the best actors in Bollywood, and if he really crosses over into mainstream Hollywood flicks (he had a fairly minor role in the recent Spider-Man), I’ll be more than delighted.

The story is a good one- but the ending is what makes this a great book. Those last two pages and the retrospective they bring are a lot of fun. I wish I could recreate that first time reading again.

That being said I think the stylization is only appropriate in retrospect. I don’t think the story will stand as well with the “stylization” due to a “telling” of the story.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy was pretty well done, IMHO.

I enjoyed the book very much, but I’ve got to say the trailer doesn’t do it for me.

For a second there, I thought they were making a movie about “a heartwarming tale of a boy and a tiger, overcoming their differences to become best friends and save not only their joy, but their very lives!”

Loved the book, and the trailer had me tearing up, so I imagine I’ll like the movie. If nothing else, it should be visually spectacular.

This was the point that drove me to start the thread, that I somehow entirely left out of the OP. Not a book I would have considered hugely filmable, but all power to them for trying.