The light-skinned black girl with the bouncy hair in every commercial that contains a black woman...

I was wondering how you’d handle that. Nice.

teehee

It’s called colorism (and good hair, when it comes to the bouncy curls), but progress has been made. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen a small child with relaxed hair.

The light skinned people from commercials can be used to check a lot of boxes, because they’re racially ambiguous. Black people see her as black, some white people would assume she just has a nice tan etc.

Hmmmmmm… I think it’s probably more that white people see her as black, and black people are expected to take whatever we give them.

To clarify: She is black, I don’t mean to imply otherwise. But it’s the largely white-controlled entertainment complex that determines what “acceptable levels” of blackness should appear on screen. Dark skinned black people (and many other black people) would strongly prefer the “overton window” so to speak, be moved towards the dark end. But the various social and market forces, not to mention the people, making up the entertainment complex, resist that move.

Who’s arguing?

What I mean is that, in my experience, it’s not uncommon for white people not to realize a light skinned black person is black. The casting department would know, but I was talking about the audience.

Probably someone who doesn’t admit that Europeans brought their slavery to the new world, and thinks of it solely as an American institution.

Given that we’re talking about people with big bouncy 'fros, I think the assumption is the audience will see thm as black.

I know there are of course people who are black who end up not being recognized as such on sight by many–Rashida Jones comes to mind. But I think this is a thread about people generally recognized on sight as black.

These are images of the hair style and skin color range we’re talking about in this thread, I think.

There are people in that very link who won’t register to everyone as black, even with the spirally fro. But either way, there’s a reason I only mentioned the light skin in my post. I was making a more general point.

Here is a rather funny example. McDonald’s commercial with this trope literally inserted in the last two seconds of the ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtYjKcmqBg0

Maddox (remember him? The “best page in the universe” guy?) called attention to this stock character way the hell back in the early 2000s. Look at item #2 on this page.

A season three episode ofBlack-ishaddressed this in the “B” story. The character played by Anthony Anderson is confronted by his own tendency to cast light skinned actors in commercials.

Yes, and it is annoying for every family Christmas dinner in a commercial to look like some huge UN meeting.:rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with actual mutliracial families, but it’s just not the case for enough families to not make the commercials look like a pandering dumming down of Christmas.

Since only a few commercials are like that, I’m not seeing it as a problem.

And School Daze is 30 years old.