"The low spark of high heeled boys"?

One of the more memorable quotes from the early 1970s. I wasn’t much interested in Traffic so I paid it scant attention. But WTF does it mean to you? I was surprised to see that Micheal J. Pollard wrote the phrase and that does seem to fit into my impressions of Pollard as somewhat odd.

Internet searches turn up all kinds of meanings. Back then I thought it was an oblique reference to gay men but most writers don’t seem to go that direction. I suppose, given that it came from Pollard brainstorming ideas, that it is just another vapid phrase we have spent decades trying to figure out.

Yeah, I’ve heard that it came from Michael J. Pollard. My impression was that it was just a nonsense phrase, one of those things that might pop into your head at random, possibly when you’re half asleep or whatever, or maybe when you mishear something on TV. And then you remember it because you think it sounds cool.

I would guess it originates from something in Pollard’s head that might be interesting if there were some way to find out about it. But as an intentional artistic statement, it never occurred to me that it was actually supposed to convey any kind of meaning.

I, too, thought it was a reference to gay men, and didn’t know about the connection to Pollard, but when I went to remind myself of the lyrics, I found this post here:

Here’s the thing. Winwood was 16 or 17 yrs. old when he wrote this.
In those days, street slang for heroin was ‘boy’ and for cocaine was ‘girl’.
High heel boy refers to a mixture of heroin and coke, commonly called a speedball.
The ‘low spark’ is a description of the physical feeling brought on by injecting the speedball.

The man in the suit is the dealer, making profits on the dreams of his customers.

The gun that didn’t make any noise is simply a hypodermic syringe.

This is one of the most truly savage songs in history, way deeper than nearly anything else from its era.

How Stevie knew this stuff at such a young age is an interesting question at such a young age is a good question

So this writer also didn’t know about the connection to Pollard, and I’m mildly skeptical of the drug references – somewhere, sometime, any given word was probably street slang for any given drug – but it has a rather satisfying self-consistency. The gun = needle thing seems particularly suggestive that it is about drugs in some way, even if not exactly as described.

I grew up in that era, listening to that song, starting my journey into my own addiction. I always thought it was about drugs, especially after seeing the needle and the damage done firsthand.

I do love that tune still.

Huh. My thought about that has always been that he’s a record industry executive screwing the artists over.

I mean, I’ve never thought about the lyrics enough to analyze the whole piece of work as something with a cohesive meaning, but that’s what I’ve gotten from that line.

I’ll admit that LSOTHHB was not a song I gave much thought to, but the lyrics of so many songs I listened to back then were either so deep, or so poetical, or so beyond my personal experience, or so nonsensical, or some combination of the above, that I often didn’t even try to understand them, but just let them flow over and around me and ooze into whatever cracks in my consciousness they could find.

I’ve often been surprised to learn about real, or at least alternative, meanings to songs I’ve known for decades. We have a whole thread for that experience.

Last day of school in (I think) my junior year in high school our English teacher brought the record in, played the song and we spent the class period discussing what we thought it might be about. Consensus was “drugs.” This would have been around 74-75 or so.

Winwood was 23 when he wrote the song and had been a rock star for seven years. I doubt he was all that naive. Further, Jim Capaldi, who wrote the lyrics, was 27.

Capaldi has explained what he meant by it:

Blockquote Pollard and I would sit around writing lyrics all day, talking about Bob Dylan and The Band, thinking up ridiculous plots for the movie. Before I left Morocco, Pollard wrote in my book ‘The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys’. For me, it summed him up. He had this tremendous rebel attitude. He walked around in his cowboy boots, his leather jacket. At the time he was a heavy little dude. It seemed to sum up all the people of that generation who were just rebels. The ‘Low Spark’, for me, was the spirit, high-spirited. You know, standing on a street corner. The low rider. The ‘Low Spark’ meaning that strong undercurrent at the street level.[3]

So Capaldi saw it was the younger generation whose attitude was unfathomable by the older generation. Given that, the lyrics are quite clear overall.

What movie?

(Yeah, I should know, and I could google it, and I should NOT get the actor’s name stuck in my brain as Blockquote Pollard…)

By the way, we obsessed over lyrics back in the day, having deeeep discussions of Dylan, Lennon, Zappa, T.Rex, and Floyd (do NOT try to figure out a Syd Barrett song) and I always pictured those ‘poets’ just laughing: “You’re looking for meaning in THAT? It just sounded cool…”

Actually, Dylan made fun of all of us:

You’re probably wondering by now
Just what this song is all about?
What’s probably got you baffled more
What this thing here is for… (guitar riff)

Well, who ya gonna believe? The guy who wrote the song or some random guy on the Internet?

Not sure. It was probably mentioned in the interview that’s being quoted.

Random wisdom, of course!

Isaac Asimov once wrote about attending a lecture by a professor who was analyzing Ike’s writings and discussing what he meant in certain stories. When Ike stood up and identified himself as the author, declaiming that what the prof said wasn’t what he meant, the prof reportedly replied “well, why would you necessarily know just what meaning you were writing about?”

Thanks for quoting me to me!

@Andy_L found the Asimov’s original telling (on page 117 in the link.)

@commasense lol, great mind/fools, etc!

I still have my copies of “In memory yet green” & “with joy still felt”, his first two volumes of autobiography. That’s where I first encountered the tale. I should reread 'em sometime.