The magnetic ribbons on people's cars.

We were one of the first to arrive at a wedding reception on Saturday, and the father of the bride came over to say hi to my Hubby, whom he’d met before. I noticed he was wearing a small silver lapel pin in the shape of two footprints, so, in an attempt to be conversational, I asked what they were for. “Oh, I’m pro-abortion” he replied. “They represent little lives.” This sounded kind of strange. We all paused. I asked, “Do you mean you’re pro-choice?” “No, I’m anti-abortion” he said, rather embarrassed and flustered. So much for my attempt at conviviality.

Not to extend the hijack even further, but huh? Do you mean he said he’s pro-abortion and then immediately reversed it to say anti-abortion? Was he just confused on the wording?

He’s anti-abortion. Actually I should’ve figured it out, I know her family is rather conservative. It just didn’t occur to me that someone would wear a “statement” to their daughter’s wedding - or, having done so, be unable to explain it coherently. Just a tale on the hazards of wearing one’s politics.

My thoughts? It annoys me to no end that people put them on their cars “sideways,” basically.
The ones I’ve seen are yellow and say “Support The Troops” or are red, white and blue and say “God Bless The USA.” The morons put them on sideways so the words are horizontal, but it makes the ribbon look sideways. The top of the loop points to the side. Trivial, yeah, but it bugs the crap out of me. It looks stupid that way. If you’re going to put glurge on your car, at least put it on correctly!

I thought they were stickers. Now that I know they’re just magnets, maybe I’ll start fixing them when I walk through parking lots.

Thank you so much for this post. I could not agree more, in fact I wish I’d said all of this in my O.P… ( of course, it’d have prevented you from being as articulate as you’ve just been. :slight_smile: ).

Take the five bucks and donate it. In the case of the people festooning, take the twenty-five bucks and donate it. Donate an hour or two a week to a cause you believe in. Do the things mentioned above.

DO. Don’t show… just do.

Some of us do send care packages to troops, do volunteer work at the VA and do research on veteran’s issues. Right now I am taking a break from a research project on PTSD issues with the VA system.

My husband just got home from a full one year in Iraq and I had a yellow ribbon sticker on my car while he was there and one will stay there until they are all home. Last Christmas, one of my friends gave me present wrapped up all nice and pretty. I opened it and read what it said, “Half my heart is in Iraq”, a magnetic bumper sticker. I sat there and sobbed. Sure… the ones at home are keeping the ‘home fires burning’, big whoop (not really but that is how it feels sometimes) I’m not saying that everyone should just go out and buy a bunch of crap stickers, but if it makes you feel good who cares??? I know when my husband was gone I felt so helpless. I wanted to do MORE and show my support in any way. It may sound foolish to some but that is how I felt.

Less can be more but sometimes people want to do even more. And when the troops come home and see the support of the community, even if through magnetic car decals, what can it hurt? Of course I would rather they be made in America, though. Mine was made by a local sign artist, but I don’t know about the “half my heart…” one.

I’ve just read your post. Twice.

My gripe is with those who would dilute the power of the symbols you display, not with anyone whose heart aches as yours has. If the OP offended you I sincerely apologize.

To be honest with you, I had not thought about how the returning veterans will feel ( or, do feel since plenty are home on rotation now ) about seeing all of those ribbons.

:smack: