The Mandalorian series on Disney+ (spoilers as it airs)

A thought about the ending:

[spoiler]
I just read speculation elsewhere that the baby is Yoda reincarnated. That got me thinking - first “Oh it’s a reincarnation” sounds cheesy when you just say it that way but the Star Wars universe is a big universe with a lot of diverse life. What if Yoda is the only representative of his species and Yaddle is the only female representative as well? Upon Yoda’s death, his Force rich home planet draw upon its connection to the life around it and creates a new Yoda. Force sensitive, with some Force-granted memories of his existence.

This skirts the question of what species he is - Yoda is Yoda (and I kind of like that). The only issue with this thought is that Baby Yoda is said to be 50 years old and this takes place just a few years after Yoda’s death in ROTJ. Perhaps a better writer than I would be able to make this explanation work. Maybe there are few Yodas born but only one is granted the power of the Yoda. I dunno, that’s a little crazy but no crazier than giant space squids that eat space ships or giant mouths in the desert that eat bounty hunters and gangster toadies.[/spoiler]

Finally was able to watch it through their web site. Really good show. Even though the budget showed a few times, I thought it overall was movie quality. I felt like I could feel the writers/directors giving nods to both the 70’s Boba Fett cartoon and old spaghetti westerns. But it still felt thoroughly Star Wars. I agree with others that wish they just released the whole season at once, but I bet they will get more subscribers by spacing it out.

Oh and, avoiding spoilers, that character loss was crushing to me, I liked them already and was hoping they would stay around.

Liked it overall, but the blue guy seemed more like a *The Orville *character than a Star Wars one.

Easy reasons. First and foremost they can get you subscribing for multiple months rather than one and cancel. And second, the way they prevent you from subscribing at the end of the series and binging it and just paying a month, making it water cooler fare so that you are worried about missing out on the discussion or getting spoiled if you don’t watch right now.

Apple TV+ is also doing the week to week format. It seems like the binge method is just going to be the province of Netflix, Amazon, and perhaps some lesser shows on Hulu (Hulu has the week to week release for Handmaid’s Tale already).

This is interesting, evidence with Netflix is that people come for the originals and stay for the acquisitions (i.e most viewing is done on series like Friends). Acquisitions are becoming more expensive and harder to source as competition amongst SVOD services grow. But if you release an original series all at once people will burn through it VERY quickly and then you really have to rely on those acquisitions or other expensive originals. Disney need people to stick with the service, not to burn through that one title they signed up for and then unsubscribe.

I heard the second episode is 27 minutes after the “previously on”. Weird.

It seems like the pilot was only about 38 minutes (according to the app), so it appears they are interested in doing episodes like 25-40 minutes.

I enjoyed Taika Waititi as the voice of the bounty hunter droid who kept trying to “activate self destruct”.

Episode 2 was terrific – even better than the first, IMO. Very tight, fun little self-contained tale, while still fitting into a larger storyline.

Definitely the best part of the first episode.

Second episode was great.

I know I am playing into Disney’s scheme by doing this, but I really want a Baby Yoda stuffed animal for each of my kids.

Looks like that Baby Yoda is an actual puppet as well. I thought he was digital in the first episode, but I do think this episode looked like it was a real puppet.

Holy cow. Mandalorian sure takes a beating, doesn’t he?

There is some very good detail on Baby Yoda as well. There was some close ups and wrinkles in the skin was detectable.

Jesus, are they BORN force sensitive? I know the baby is supposedly 50 years old - that’s a lot of green diapers - but that kid is pretty sophisticated.

Or it is reincarnated Yoda.

It’s supposedly 50 years old. Yoda’s been gone for 5 or 6 by my count.

Hell, in the time of TFA it still won’t have been 50 years since Yoda died.

I just wonder how this plays out into the larger story they have going with the sequel movies right now. I mean this was, what, only 25 years before Force Awakens? How can there be a freakishly powerful Baby Yoda in the galaxy, yet no one (like Luke or Force Ghost Yoda or Snoke) know about it? So either this new character could come into play in Rise of Skywalker, or perhaps Baby Yoda doesn’t make it that far, or…?

But even if Baby Yoda isn’t actually related to Actual Yoda, he’s obviously Force sensitive, and comes from the same planet as one of the most powerful Jedi to ever live. So unless this baby dies, I don’t see how it gets ignored by the upcoming movie. That being said, it’s a pretty bold assumption that all the movie-goers will all know about Baby Yoda from “The Madalorian,” so I don’t know how they could actually incorporate the tot into the story without some head-scratches from a sizable chunk of their audience.

I gotta say, it was a bold move to drop such a potentially game-changing character at this point in the timeline. They could’ve set the Madalorian 100 years into the future, and they wouldn’t have had it potentially bumping into the sequel trilogy’s story. I’m really intrigued with where they’re going with this.

Jut thinking a bit more about this: if Baby Yoda is 50 at this point, he was born around 40 BBY. About the same time Anakin was born. Curious? Coincidence? Will it all tie together?

Assuming he is really 50. But, yes, he is either not Yoda or Yoda’s spirit went into an already living yoda-baby.

Part of that scene with the Space Rhino is straight out of a Far Side cartoon. (The rest of tbe episode is Lone Wolf and Cub.)

Loving the series so far. I wish we were getting a good 45-60 mins per episode, however.

Love baby Yoda too, but I really wish they didn’t make him 50 years old. I get that Yoda lived to be nearly 1,000 years old, but making his species’ life cycle like our own, just 10 times slower seems silly. It’s like the concept of dog-years in reverse. I just can’t imagine any species of life surviving if it’s infancy stage was 50 years long or more. I also get that Favreau was going for a clever surprise, and it worked, but how long until this baby Yoda becomes even a “teenager”? 300 years? Will it remain an infant for the entire series run?

But he is adorable, isn’t he?