The Mandalorian series on Disney+ (spoilers as it airs)

Disney dropped a new trailer for The Mandalorian, featuring even more narration from the greatest narrator ever, Werner Herzog. I appreciated the continued misuse of “parsec”.

If the writing is on the same level as the casting and SFX, this could be great.

Was that… Bill fucking Burr?

Yeah, he talks a bit about the production and how he got involved here: Bill Burr On Filming "The Mandalorian", The New Star Wars Show - YouTube

Yup, this hooked me. Will be subscribing to give this a try.

He was in Breaking Bad, so it’s not his first role, but yeah, seems odd but kind of awesome.

No, not this time. “They said you were the best in the parsec”=“They said you were the best within 3.26 light-years”, not “They said you were the best in 1/12th the time it took Han Solo to do the Kessel run.”

A parsec is distance, not area or volume. He said “the parsec” which makes no sense anywhere except Star Wars.

“You were the best within 5 parsecs?” That’s fine. “You were the best within the parsec?” It’s clearly riffing off the original mistake.

I mean, I like the call back (Easter egg?, who knows), but in Star Wars the parsec is a measure of time, and don’t give me that stupid retconned shit from Solo. So I’d have preferred they stick with the original alternate reality meaning and made it a time measure. Throwing in a new, different screw up feels forced and kind of lame to me.

/fan-nerding

This releases week to week instead of all at once. I preferred when things in streaming service release all at once.

I’ll be watching, but still.

Oh, I hope this is PG enough to watch with my kids(age 9 and 11).

It’s the Disney channel and Star Wars, I would imagine it’s PG.

It might better have been “You were the best within a parsec,” but otherwise makes sense. At any rate, it’s not the same mistake as Han’s, since he was using it as a unit of time, not a spatial unit.

Just finished the first episode. It was well produced with lots of action and great special effects. It will appeal to the target demographic. Mahaloth, your kids will be fine. The violence was typical Star Wars, i.e., blaster shootouts and no gore.

On the downside, the plot wasn’t well developed and we don’t know much about what motivates the titular bounty hunter. Oh well.

I’m hoping it improves…looking forward to next week.

Just saw it and thought it was pretty good. I really do not get the “week to week” release strategy on a streaming service. Once the first episode was done, I wanted the next one immediately.

The budget was showing. At no point when they were flying along in the little speeders did I ever think they were not in a studio filming.

I wonder if the Mandalorian will ever take off his helmet.

So far I have the self control not to subscribe. Maybe I will wait and binge the season - I do want to see it.
Isn’t keeping folks wanting more a good thing? More likely to keep the service for the whole season.

Brian

They have learned that there is a benefit to the water-cooler talk for an event show like this. Game Of Thrones is talked about for months, while Stranger Things is only in the zeitgeist for a couple of weeks before being subsumed by the next big thing.

1. Without explicit spoilers: awwww!

2. Not too much happened but it was a nice mood setter.

3. I got Disney+ free for a year it looks like. Verizon, YMMV.

I wasn’t initially planning on subscribing to Disney+ just for the one show, but it turns out I’m getting a free year of it through Verizon, so I checked it out and I was entertained. Brian Posehn as the speeder pilot tickled me pink.

Why a bunch of Zabraks were guarding a baby Yoda, or why Werner Herzog (who I assume is a Moff of the Imperial Remnant since his stormtroopers were in old worn-out armor) wants one alive is enough of a mystery for me to be interested in seeing what’s coming next.

I thought that there was just enough. He’s a bounty hunter so he’s motivated to get the best paying bounty available. There is a scene where he is with a female Mandalorian and they have a discussion there. So there’s a framework in place to build on. The Mandalorian is just a “Man With No Name” character type: you get the action and he’s a man of few words. When he does speak, it means something.

That did distract me some as well. Many of the scenes looked fine but some of the effects, namely the speeders, just didn’t quite look right. It was the Uncanny Valley for sure, but the effects were decent for a TV show.

I thought this episode was very good. I was surprised by the cameos in it and ended up looking through IMDB during parts of the show to see who I thought I recognized (Horatio Sanz, Taika Waititi, and Brian Posehn are all in it).

Good adventure, good story building, and an interesting cliffhanger at the end. Jon Favreau looks like he knows what he doing in this universe and I think he should get all the Star Wars.

I’d say we got a decent bit of backstory and world-building. He’s an orphan whose parents were killed, most likely during the Clone Wars. He was taken in by a group of Mandalorian refugees - whether he’s Mandalorian by blood or by adoption is unclear. These Mandos have a strong belief in the sacredness of Beskar steel and the armor they make from it, to the point that they stubbornly refuse to take off their helmets in the presence of others and consider it offensive that the metal should be in the possession of outsiders. Our hero has yet to earn his “signet” - I take this to be an emblem worn on one’s armor that is unique, identifying, and of great significance to the individual, like an MLP character’s Cutie Mark. (The circle with herb leaf on Boba Fett’s breastplate was presumably his signet.)

He’s pretty true to type as far as Mandalorians were portrayed in the old EU; basically space versions of the pop-culture understanding of Spartan warriors who spoke plainly and concisely, spent most of their lives training for or engaging in combat, and had little concern for other matters, though his upbringing as an orphan seems to have informed his decisions in the final scene of the episode.